2024 - Post Draft

Soko

Draft’s over! More moves to make, as today Christian Barmore is extended. Early reports are 4/$92M, with $41M in GTD dollars. Big dollars but if he keeps playing like he did, it’ll be hard to criticize this one.

I believe the date for comp picks is about to come up, so we might see some FAs brought in too. Still some guys out there.

Edited by Soko

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

The Barmore extension is actually a massive steal when you look at the guaranteed money he's getting versus other top players at his position. 

Still not even top 10 money at his position. What a steal.

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

The Barmore extension is actually a massive steal when you look at the guaranteed money he's getting versus other top players at his position. 

I was shock when I saw the deal. Who the heck was his agent. Nuts.

Some position I’d like to see a vet brought in: RB, OT, DL, S

I like bringing in Gibson, but RB’s thin. Stevenson wears down or gets hurt, the RB room looks super bare again. I think there needs to be another player brought in here to push Kevin Harris and Hasty. Kareem Hunt has experience in the offense, Latavius Murray is someone who can kinda do a few things. Rashaad Penny can’t stay healthy at all, but he presents a little more upside than the old heads.

No secret, OT could still use someone a little bit more proven at tackle. The early talks are trying Okorafor there and having him compete with the rookie, Wallace. They’d be lucky if either walk in and offer even decent play on Day 1, so while Big Mike is manning the right side, LT is still open. I’ve been vocal about former Commanders LT Charles Leno who is still available. DJ Humphries probably won’t be healthy until late into the summer at best, and Bahktiari is a walking injury report. Would an Andrus Peat or a Geron Christian offer much of an upgrade? Hard to say.

I do think DL could use some more bodies, particularly on the interior. Barmore just got re-signed (bless), but he’s a guy that’s dealt with knee injuries throughout his career. Godchaux is an overpaid NT that can eat space, and not much else. NE signed Armon Watts who they hope can be Lawrence Guy take II, but I think the position’s thin, even taking into account that guys like Wise and White can rush from the interior on passing downs. Some big space eaters are still out there (Al Woods, Linval Joseph) meanwhile Calais Campbell is still kicking out there. Not a lot out there in FA. 

And safety…for starters, I hope Mapu is moved to LBer. He looked more natural there in college and was absolutely lost in the back end last year. That aside, right now the only safeties are Dugger, Peppers, Bledsoe, and new signing Hawkins. We all know what Dugger and Peppers can do. We also know what the defense looks like with three good safeties. I’d love to see someone who can be a bit more of a rangey player, but I think even adding more smart defenders in the back could go a long ways. Already pounded the table for Justin Simmons, but Quandre Diggs would be a nice add. 

8 hours ago, Soko said:

Some position I’d like to see a vet brought in: RB, OT, DL, S

I look at it differently. I see this as a 3/4 plan. 

I don't want any vet's brought in unless it's absolutely necessary. EX Wallace is a complete bust during camp at LT. That leaves one on the roster.

I look at 2024 as a ... let see what we have year. IMO this team is going now where in 2024.   Pat's have to see what they have, so they can plan for the 2025 draft. 

Filling the roster with older guys on short deals doesn't accomplish anything.

Play the rookies get young guys from other teams cuts, UDFA.

Let say the Pats are picking in the top 5 next year and we find out that the two WRs and Wallace killed it in 2024. Pat's can set the board accordingly. You know what you have and can target the best players and not worry about needs.

2024 rookies kill it, no desperate need to take WR or LT in 25.

Pats picking 2nd in the draft, they can pick who they want or trade it for a boat load of picks. Thy have all the flexibility in the world knowing WR, LT are covered.

Basically find you Vince Papale's !!!!!  😁🤣

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

So, post draft, I think we’re still the 4th best team in the division. Jets have resourced well this off-season (why didn’t we go for Simpson or Moses?!) 

But if Maye ends up being a top 10-like QB (let’s use the Herbert comp) that would surely project this team into the top 2 of the division. He’s such a pivotal player, we need him to be that guy. Otherwise we’re drafting a QB again in 2 years …again. 

Did we do enough for the offense? For me, at WR we did. At OL, nope. Not even close. Let’s hope the coaching and being healthy can make them at least an average unit

5 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

I think we’re drafting high again next year. 

if Maye is HIM your have to entertain trading down and grab a top Oline and BPA with your 2nd first

Probably are, this roster is two years away from being two years away. 

We need more.

• Like 1

I don’t think there are any teams in the league that are two years away. The Colts went from #1 to playoffs. The Texans went from #2 to playoffs. The Texans rebounded in Watson’s sophomore year. The Bortles Jaguars. The Trubisky Bears. 

I’m not predicting that type of turnaround at all, FWIW. Nor am I saying this team is where some of those others teams were, talent wise. Just saying that being a bad team and being a decent/fringe playoff team doesn’t have to be a slow grow, where you go from 4 wins to 7 to 9 to 11 to 13. I don’t even mean this in a “hey guys, it’s possible…” sort of way, I really am just saying the idea of throwing out two seasons of football in order to develop the team is an archaic one, IMO.

What’ll hold the team back more than the talent issues (aside from at OL), I think will be coaching and health. Depth on OL is thin. Depth at RB is thin. And coaching I think will make or break the team. The offense was average with a similarly talented team in Mac’s rookie season, I think the coaching is going to weigh more heavily than most people want to give credit for.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Soko said:

I don’t think there are any teams in the league that are two years away. The Colts went from #1 to playoffs. The Texans went from #2 to playoffs. The Texans rebounded in Watson’s sophomore year. The Bortles Jaguars. The Trubisky Bears. 

I’m not predicting that type of turnaround at all, FWIW. Nor am I saying this team is where some of those others teams were, talent wise. Just saying that being a bad team and being a decent/fringe playoff team doesn’t have to be a slow grow, where you go from 4 wins to 7 to 9 to 11 to 13. I don’t even mean this in a “hey guys, it’s possible…” sort of way, I really am just saying the idea of throwing out two seasons of football in order to develop the team is an archaic one, IMO.

What’ll hold the team back more than the talent issues (aside from at OL), I think will be coaching and health. Depth on OL is thin. Depth at RB is thin. And coaching I think will make or break the team. The offense was average with a similarly talented team in Mac’s rookie season, I think the coaching is going to weigh more heavily than most people want to give credit for.

It’s possibly to turn it around in one year, sure. I’m not saying every bad team needs to slow burn their way back. I am saying we have enough issues to be quite a few years off becoming a type of “perennial playoff team”. 

if Maye ends up as good as Stroud, say, we still aren’t on a Texans like trajectory because of other factors such as the OL, and lack of weapons. Although, that would be amazing if he was. That’s the key part done.

it’s annoying because I believe we have a playoff calibre defense. And have for years. How long will they keep it up though? How much of that was BB.

The coaching inexperience is another one. Doesn’t inspire me with any confidence yet. We have enough uncertainties and enough holes in the roster for me to predict we are many years off. Hope I’m wrong of course

Edited by Hunter2_1

16 hours ago, Soko said:

I really am just saying the idea of throwing out two seasons of football in order to develop the team is an archaic one, IMO.

I hope I reads this correctly. they way I see it you have no choice but to look a it as a 3/4 year rebuild. there are to many variables they have to hit to change this team to a winner.

1. Everything is new. Hard to see them implementing their plan in one season, let alone it even works. What and see on Mayo and his DC

2 Draft usually bring in 3 players, 4 if your lucky. they have many holes this draft didn't cover a major one OT. Still need another draft that now two years. What happens if Maye not ready ?

3  Year three if every works your looking at a possible playoff berth.

4.  Year four your ready to make a run.

Also the Pats roster is pathetic. The holes IMO they still need to cover LT, CB,FS, 3rdBK. They also have upgrade throughout the roster.

I see 3/4 years easily. You mentioned 5 teams making the jump. Flip the coin, there are too many to list that have failed. 

Without looking it up I would guess all those teams had a QB and LT in place at the start of the rebuild or at least one.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I hope I reads this correctly. they way I see it you have no choice but to look a it as a 3/4 year rebuild. there are to many variables they have to hit to change this team to a winner.

1. Everything is new. Hard to see them implementing their plan in one season, let alone it even works. What and see on Mayo and his DC

2 Draft usually bring in 3 players, 4 if your lucky. they have many holes this draft didn't cover a major one OT. Still need another draft that now two years. What happens if Maye not ready ?

3  Year three if every works your looking at a possible playoff berth.

4.  Year four your ready to make a run.

Also the Pats roster is pathetic. The holes IMO they still need to cover LT, CB,FS, 3rdBK. They also have upgrade throughout the roster.

I see 3/4 years easily. You mentioned 5 teams making the jump. Flip the coin, there are too many to list that have failed. 

Without looking it up I would guess all those teams had a QB and LT in place at the start of the rebuild or at least one.

Success isn’t linear in the league. I’m not saying that NE will re-build in a year, I’m saying that throughout NFL history there have been bad/worse teams that have re-built in a year, when no one saw it coming. If history has shown that it was impossible, that’d be one thing. You only need a few examples to show that it’s possible. 

I don’t think there are any teams that can’t possibly have things fall their way to be a decent team the following year. Whether that happens or not hinges on a ton of things, both in and out of the team’s control. Obviously a slow grow is more likely than a quick spring forward, ala Houston. But the idea that no matter who is signed, no matter how these players progress, no matter how good the coaching staff may end up being, no matter how lucky the team gets - that they’re 3-4 years from being good? It just hasn’t been proven to be an impossibility. 

Again, I’m not even talking Pats, not really. Just philosophically, the NFL is so volatile and we’ve seen it happen frequently enough where I’m not calling it impossible. If this was baseball or basketball, I’d say different. 

EDIT: I’ll add that I’m talking about being a relevant team, that maybe either gets close to the playoffs or makes it and wins a game or so. Not a team being a legit SB contender, or getting to the chip.

Edited by Soko
  • Like 3