2024 - Post Draft

Soko

On 5/13/2024 at 8:12 PM, Soko said:

I don’t really expect Strange to be healthy at this point. Or all that good.

IMO they need to try him at center.  He profile fits.  The problem/concern is above his shoulders.

On 5/13/2024 at 8:12 PM, Soko said:

Robinson, or Wallace really step up to the plate

this is the key if they hit, the draft IMO is a home run, and that excluding Maye.  I was hoping for a new left side. They hit on all the needs in the draft which is high grades based on the past where they past on  major needs, WR,3RB and OT.

OTAs off to the races! The memorable snippets, off the top of my head:

- Most of the edge guys (Judon, Uche, Jennings) not around, gave White time to be taking reps, apparently at OLB for the most part. Dude’s versatile, the defense is gonna need a strong sophomore season from him.

- Chuks took first reps at LT, followed by  Lowe (gross), and Wallace. Onwenu at RT, followed by Calvin Anderson. Strange is still recovering from a bum knee, surprise surprise. Sow went to LG. Leverett (former Bucs guard) was at RG, followed by rookie Robinson. Mafi saw time at center. Honestly hope that Jake Andrews can take over one of the guard spots, if/when Strange misses time.

- JuJu is, apparently, back to 100%. According to him, his offseason knee issues last season left him at around 60% for the season. Honestly makes me more nervous than excited, given the reps he’s going to eat. I think most of us are done with the JJSS experiment. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Soko said:

New extension for Jahlani Tavai, 3-years/$21M (up to).

That’s a good deal for him. Dude’s been rock solid the last couple years. 

He was rock solid in the Belichick system; it's going to be interesting to see how well he plays in a new defensive system 

4 hours ago, jofos said:

He was rock solid in the Belichick system; it's going to be interesting to see how well he plays in a new defensive system 

A caveat that applies to any signing, trade, or extension when a new coach is involved, but yes.

23 hours ago, Soko said:

A caveat that applies to any signing, trade, or extension when a new coach is involved, but yes.

Not trying to argue with you but my point was that he was not very good before coming to the Patriots.

1 hour ago, jofos said:

Not trying to argue with you but my point was that he was not very good before coming to the Patriots.

That’s true, I suppose I just don’t find it as concerning. How many players weren’t playing as well in their first two seasons as they are/were in their prime? 

I think if we go down the roster of “how did these guys look, pre-Belichick” then the conclusion is virtually the same for the whole roster.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 5:31 PM, vike daddy said:

rookie-qb-s.jpg

Does this seem accurate for Maye?

Depends upon Brissett. They have their bye way late and Week 6 is the week before they head to London to face the Jags.  If they are going to start Maye at all this season, that's probably the week to do it, because they don't have their bye after the London game and not until Week 14. 

On 7/5/2024 at 5:31 PM, vike daddy said:

rookie-qb-s.jpg

Does this seem accurate for Maye?

I wouldn't be surprised if Maye starts week one. I don't really think he should, but I think that the coaching staff is going to try to prove they know what they are doing...

• Like 1

Impossible to say, tbh. Beyond the “let’s start him after a bye week”, “let’s not start him against the SF defense” or something else, the whole guessing of which week is kinda too offseasony, for me. So he’s gonna be ready week 6, but not week 5? And anyone can guess that based on mini camp? Meh. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if Maye doesn’t play at all this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got the start Week 1. 

• Like 1