Rashod Bateman contract extension

https://x.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1785020338616557941

A bit of context on Bateman deal. He was not eligible for fifth-year option on rookie contract because he's only been credited with two accrued seasons. That's a result of him starting last season's training camp on Did Not Report List.

Not sure if I missed this elsewhere but it turns out that Bateman never accrued a season because he didn’t report last season. Which is likely why he fired his agent.

So Bateman would have only been a RFA next offseason and not a 5th year option candidate.

Making it both a steal for the Ravens to get Bateman on his contract as well as partly a gift because they could’ve let him play another season on his “third accrued season” (4th year in reality) and then decided to tag him with a RFA tender for his fourth accrued season (5th year), and at that same rough time frame, I’m assuming that at that point they would’ve then still had the option to tag him with the ~$15m for the 5th year option at that point.

So essentially they could have locked up his rights for around ~$18m over three years, while much of that would’ve come only if he performed over this upcoming season at a high enough level to warrant future investment.

So really the Ravens saved Bateman by making this deal. They gave him a reported 3 year/15.25M with an opportunity to earn up to $16.75m.

https://x.com/FieldYates/status/1785068478216413219

Factoring in his new 2-year extension, Ravens WR Rashod Bateman is now set to earn a base value of $15.25M over the next three seasons. He has an additional escalator for 2026 of $1.5M that brings the max value of the deal to $16.75M.

• Like 1

I actually have more faith in him putting up a legit breakout season than Oweh next year. 

With Bateman you can maybe at least convince yourself "hey, he's been hurt, and when he's been healthy Lamar has missed some time with injury, he's never really had a normal/healthy TC, maybe he and Lamar finally get on the same page and stay on the same page all season, he'll be more incorporated into the gameplan with OBJ gone, etc". Not that I find that very likely, but you can at least sell yourself that. So I get the extension from that perspective at least.

Oweh at this point just feels like we've seen what he is. He's a good run defender and a pass rusher whose advanced analytic metrics suggest he's good but he's done a subpar job turning that into actual production - which is exactly what his MO was at Penn St. "He wins, but he doesn't get sacks". Well, ok. That's fine, but those are guys we've historically found in the mid-late rounds in our franchise history. Good run defenders who are decent pass rushers. Will be interesting to see what EDC does with Oweh's 5th year.

They almost seem like 2 versions of each other:

"Bateman gets open, he just doesn't get the ball for whatever reason"

"Oweh is a good pass rusher, he just doesn't get sacks for whatever reason"

Really not what you want to say about your first round receiver and pass rusher lol

Edited by Ray Reed

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure if I missed this elsewhere but it turns out that Bateman never accrued a season because he didn’t report last season. Which is likely why he fired his agent.

So Bateman would have only been a RFA next offseason and not a 5th year option candidate.

Making it both a steal for the Ravens to get Bateman on his contract as well as partly a gift because they could’ve let him play another season on his “third accrued season” (4th year in reality) and then decided to tag him with a RFA tender for his fourth accrued season (5th year), and at that same rough time frame, I’m assuming that at that point they would’ve then still had the option to tag him with the ~$15m for the 5th year option at that point.

So essentially they could have locked up his rights for around ~$18m over three years, while much of that would’ve come only if he performed over this upcoming season at a high enough level to warrant future investment.

So really the Ravens saved Bateman by making this deal. They gave him a reported 3 year/15.25M with an opportunity to earn up to $16.75m.

That's pretty wild that he messed up accruing a season. That explains why this deal is so cheap, even with me being lower on Bateman than most, no way I would have predicted he signed for as cheap as he did. Definitely worth it for the chance he gets better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

was wondering what the hell the logic was behind the deal from bateman's perspective. Agent deserved to be fired for that lol.

• Like 1