Jets 2024 General Talks

JetsandI

35 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I hope Douglas learned a valuable lesson here.

stupid to trade for a player that’s a known holdout without having a deal in place 

Jets had a extension offer for Reddick, he declined. They went through with the trade with a understanding that they would at least give Reddick a guaranteed contract for the year and would negotiate while he was here. 

Reddick decided to never show up for anything and the only time he was in the building was for his physical and presser. Jets said they will not negotiate with a player who is not in the building.

Jets plan to not trade him, let him sit out a year racking up fines and retain his rights going into next season. At that point Reddick will be 31 looking for a massive payday after sitting out of football for a year. His agent is giving him horrible advice. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets had a extension offer for Reddick, he declined. They went through with the trade with a understanding that they would at least give Reddick a guaranteed contract for the year and would negotiate while he was here. 

Reddick decided to never show up for anything and the only time he was in the building was for his physical and presser. Jets said they will not negotiate with a player who is not in the building.

Jets plan to not trade him, let him sit out a year racking up fines and retain his rights going into next season. At that point Reddick will be 31 looking for a massive payday after sitting out of football for a year. His agent is giving him horrible advice. 

And this is something teams don’t do. For the exact reason you begin your next paragraph with. His word is meaningless.

I know the guy has no leverage and every Jets fan wants to just say “F him”, but this is not helping the Jets Super Bowl chances. I agree with the stance Douglas is taking now, but it was a bad plan.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

And he'd still have a year left on his original deal, correct? So he'd miss out on 16M this year, still have to settle for that next year, and then be up for a new deal that's definitely not going to make up for the lost Ms.

I hated this trade from day 1. He wants like 20 plus mill a year and he promsied the Jets he would play under his 14.5 this year if they promised him a new deap next year. He broke the promise. I know it is business but this was JD second bad move as a GM. Going with Zach Wilosn is his worse move then this one. I want McD to get more plays anyways. I think hwe is going to be a stud. 

17 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

And he'd still have a year left on his original deal, correct? So he'd miss out on 16M this year, still have to settle for that next year, and then be up for a new deal that's definitely not going to make up for the lost Ms.

I don't know.

14.25m BS which is removed from team cap for being on suspended list.

250k workout bonus which he just lost in result of holdout.

500k incentive bonus.

He has been fined daily for not showing up so will his BS be reduced to minimum BS to play out 2025 season in case if he stays with Jets?

None of his final year salary is guaranteed so I don't know if it works the same as a guaranteed contract for next year.

On 8/12/2024 at 5:31 PM, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah if he sits out this year holding out the Jets retain his rights next year. He will never make up that money so I really don't see what he gains by sitting out. The Jets should refuse to trade him. I rather have him holdout for a season then giving him away for nothing after we traded a 3rd.  Because from what I heard. No team wants to give him what he was asking. Teams hung up on the Eagles.

He will be 31 by next year so he is really hurting himself by sitting out. He should have just showed up negotiated a raise for this season. 

13 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Yeah if he sits out this year holding out the Jets retain his rights next year. He will never make up that money so I really don't see what he gains by sitting out. The Jets should refuse to trade him. I rather have him holdout for a season then giving him away for nothing after we traded a 3rd.  Because from what I heard. No team wants to give him what he was asking. Teams hung up on the Eagles.

He will be 31 by next year so he is really hurting himself by sitting out. He should have just showed up negotiated a raise for this season. 

jetfuel34's music is nonstop.

If no team wanting him is true then JD has to be one of dumbest GMs.    Jets could send a conditional 6th rounder instead of 3rd rounder.   Getting new contract warrants 3rd rounder.  Outstanding season warrants 2nd rounder.  

Anyway.   Chris Jones did that kind of holdout at age of relatively fresh 29 last year and he got new contract after week 1.   Reddick, who will turn 30 in September, still has a plenty of tank to be uber-productive for 3 or 4 years so it is still a possibility for him to get new contract some point later.  JD would be dumb not to give him new contract after trading away the 3rd rounder.  

On 8/14/2024 at 8:26 AM, JetsandI said:

jetfuel34's music is nonstop.

If no team wanting him is true then JD has to be one of dumbest GMs.    Jets could send a conditional 6th rounder instead of 3rd rounder.   Getting new contract warrants 3rd rounder.  Outstanding season warrants 2nd rounder.  

Anyway.   Chris Jones did that kind of holdout at age of relatively fresh 29 last year and he got new contract after week 1.   Reddick, who will turn 30 in September, still has a plenty of tank to be uber-productive for 3 or 4 years so it is still a possibility for him to get new contract some point later.  JD would be dumb not to give him new contract after trading away the 3rd rounder.  

I hated that they gave up a 3rd for a guy with 1 year on his comtract and is looking at 20 plus mill a year. There was a lot of reports out that he would play the 14.5 mill left and the jets said they would add to that this year but he backed out now and I think is having second thoughts on going to the Jets. I hate giving up 3rd round and up for guys who contracts are due. There always seems to be a problem when you do this.  

Watching practice highlights and seeing the OL giving Rodgers a nice pocket to throw is a great thing to see after the horrible OL we've had. If we can get Tyron Smith to stay healthy most of the season he is still elite, he was stone walling Burns and Thibs.   Morgan Moses at RT is big too.  We just need these guys to stay healthy. If they are healthy this OL can be one of the best in the league and Breece Hall is gonna have a monster season. 

Max Mitchell and Carter Warren should be waived as Jets could find new face or/and a lightly seasoned veteran to fill their spots by tomorrow.

Israel Abanikanda could be traded as I think there is a good chance for him to land on another 53 squad as 3rd RB despite of a plethora of available RBs out there.

If Haasan Reddick is still no show up, Takk McKinley should be taking at least 2nd larger amount of DE snaps on the roster. Braiden McGregor should make it on the squad.  I am rooting for McKinley, McDonald and McGregor's quality contribution so Reddick won't be missed.

I don't like Jets using Isaiah Davis as secondary kickoff returner at all.  3 CBs are dealing with some ailments but they should be ready by week 1.  If not, Brandon Codrington may be there and he has returner skill. 

Jamien Sherwood and Jerrick Bernard-Converse are players to eye on because CJ Mosley and DJ Reed will become FA after this season.  Sherwood, too, will hit FA but signing him could be a good bargain as Jets need cap space to cover Aaron Rodgers or Sauce Gardner/Garrett Wilson's future figures.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Max Mitchell and Carter Warren should be waived as Jets could find new face or/and a lightly seasoned veteran to fill their spots by tomorrow.

Israel Abanikanda could be traded as I think there is a good chance for him to land on another 53 squad as 3rd RB despite of a plethora of available RBs out there.

If Haasan Reddick is still no show up, Takk McKinley should be taking at least 2nd larger amount of DE snaps on the roster. Braiden McGregor should make it on the squad.  I am rooting for McKinley, McDonald and McGregor's quality contribution so Reddick won't be missed.

I don't like Jets using Isaiah Davis as secondary kickoff returner at all.  3 CBs are dealing with some ailments but they should be ready by week 1.  If not, Brandon Codrington may be there and he has returner skill. 

Jamien Sherwood and Jerrick Bernard-Converse are players to eye on because CJ Mosley and DJ Reed will become FA after this season.  Sherwood, too, will hit FA but signing him could be a good bargain as Jets need cap space to cover Aaron Rodgers or Sauce Gardner/Garrett Wilson's future figures.

I'd keep all the OL we can until someone who's definitively better. Better the turnstiles you know.

And I've always been pretty hopeful that JD and Salah could find another late-round/UDFA gem to mold into a starting edge/situational pass rusher. It would be so nice for these guys to get a sack or two and let Reddick eat crow.