Hard Knocks Offseason with the Giants

Acgott

This is completely unexpected, and I'm super excited for it. I've never watched a Hard Knocks before. I'm so, so interested to see the behind the scenes of the draft, the Brian Burns trade, and everything else.

Last year, we got some really awesome content for the draft straight from the Giants themselves. Remember the video of Dabs and Schoen in the draft room when the Bears traded up to jump us in the 2nd round? I was wondering why we hadn't gotten anything like that this year. This would explain it.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Last year, we got some really awesome content for the draft straight from the Giants themselves. Remember the video of Dabs and Schoen in the draft room when the Bears traded up to jump us in the 2nd round? I was wondering why we hadn't gotten anything like that this year. This would explain it.

That video didn’t come out until May 18th last year. Should be a lot of good content. Curious how much they show with us trying to trade up for Maye. I imagine not a lot.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

That video didn’t come out until May 18th last year. Should be a lot of good content. Curious how much they show with us trying to trade up for Maye. I imagine not a lot.

Nothing is going to show up that Mara hasn't personally cleared, but I hope we still get some good stuff. I'd really like to see a lot about the attempt to trade up. What I don't want to see, which I know we will see a lot of regardless, is Saquon drama.

Who is the surprise star of this? There is always at least one in a Hard Knocks season. I think Kayvon steals the show.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Who is the surprise star of this? There is always at least one in a Hard Knocks season. I think Kayvon steals the show.

Why would Kayvon be in this? Are they going to show him on a boat? This is the Brandon Brown show.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm very excited for this, and I'm sure it will make me irrationally hyped for the season. The letdown in October is gonna hit extra hard this year; I can feel it.

Yea looking at the schedule... could very easily be facing 2-6 or 3-5 by Halloween...sigh. If we do get that 2-0 start at least we'll have a couple weeks of riding high 😆

• Like 1

I thought that was a good first episode. The things that stuck out to me:

-Dabs citing Bowen's run defense as the biggest reason for wanting him here, which I loved. Our run defense was consistently porous under Wink. We've all said a few times here that we would have lost a lot more games in 2022 if teams just didn't abandon the run for no reason.

-Schoen saying to Frank Gore that the data backs up RBs falling off a cliff at 27 after a large number of carries. It is so great to know that the guy running our team looks at and understands those figures.

-The Giants brass were off on a few estimates already. Namely, getting Burns would take "a 1+" and Saquon would be getting paid "$12 million a year". Burns was had for a 2 and 5, and Saquon got a contract worth $13.5 million AAV. The Giants were already set to balk at a $12 million AAV, so there is no way in hell they were ever going to go up to the $13.5 AAV he got from Philly.

-Speaking of that, Schoen explicitly talked about how he values positional importance, which was also refreshing to hear. He started ranking the positions we need help at in the context of RB being far down that list. It's good business.

-They completely glossed over the Wink thing. We got one shot of him from the sidelines in week 18 with his 24 play sheet, and that's it. I wanted to see the drama unfold there.

-The other thing that I gathered from reading between the lines is that Schoen was dead set on signing OL, NOT drafting them. He talked a few times about protecting the QB, and both he and Andrew Thomas mentioned continuity. I think Schoen was adamant to upgrade the OL with established veterans specifically, not rookies. That's backed up by him drafting 0 this year, but remember he drafted 3 in the top 5 rounds in his first draft in 2022. I think the logic was that we've already got some young guys that we need to develop, let's work on developing those guys specifically while supplementing the guys that need more refinement that development. There's only so much coaching to go around.

-Bowen mentioned "4 great pass rushers". We've got 3- Dexter is a top-2 iDL in the NFL, Brian Burns is a bonafide stud pass rusher, and Thibs is an up and coming young pass rusher. That 4th spot is up for grabs, and it is on the interior. When Bowen was going through what he wanted, he mentioned 2 guys on the roster who could maybe be guys to step up- Boogie Basham and Ryder Anderson. The fact that we went and got Burns (and the fact that Boogie Basham is just not a good football player) tells me that they have big plans for Ryder Anderson, and that was backed up by beat reporters who mentioned how much run he was getting in camp this year and how he looked pretty good. Looks like Ryder is going to get first crack at that interior spot next to Dex, and I'm excited to see that.

-Isaiah Simmons starting nickel on 1st and 2nd downs??? Our run defense would certainly improve. I don't think you can get much different than the type of guys we had playing nickel last year and Isaiah Simmons, as far as run support ability and body type. That's gonna be interesting to watch.

-Bowen said the 2 ILBs have to be the smartest guys on the field. Bobby O is a genius, so I think he's poised to have another big year.

• Like 1

I enjoyed seeing the birth of the Brian Burns trade. Schoen was just out there seeing if anyone wanted to trade up for the #6 pick in the draft, and while talking to others, the Panther's GM brought up trading for Brian Burns; even then, we see Schoen talking the price down for Brian.

This last episode was awesome. I absolutely loved getting a real deep look at the combine interviews. I don't think we've ever been given that much access to those from anyone.

I like Joe Schoen, but I do wish he'd be a bit more confident, I guess, in his decisions. Like, I wish he explicitly offered a contract to Saquon or told him he'd be playing somewhere else, and I wish he offered a trade up package to the Patriots, consequences be damned. The wishy washy decision making doesn't sit all that well with me. I do think he has been making good decisions, but they don't feel like part of a grander 'plan' because he leaves so many options open to himself.

Also, anyone else get the feeling that Joe didn't really want Saquon back? Like, that phone call sounded like it was made through gritted teeth from both sides. When he heard the salary cap went up, he mentioned maybe now we could bring back X but on Saquon, the only comment was "now maybe he can get his Jonathan Taylor money". I think Joe wanted him back for like $7-9 mil a year and Saquon would have laughed in his face about it (as he should, he ended up getting 13.5 a year). It was best that he left.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I like Joe Schoen, but I do wish he'd be a bit more confident, I guess, in his decisions. Like, I wish he explicitly offered a contract to Saquon or told him he'd be playing somewhere else, and I wish he offered a trade up package to the Patriots, consequences be damned. The wishy washy decision making doesn't sit all that well with me. I do think he has been making good decisions, but they don't feel like part of a grander 'plan' because he leaves so many options open to himself.

The more I think about it, the more this concerns me. If this regime doesn't work out, it's going to be because of Schoen's tentativeness, paying DJ, and poor OL evaluations.