OTA, Mini Camp and Training Camp Discussion

Acgott

Is it just me or is it bad practice to allow the plays in camp to carry on when an obvious sack has taken place. I've seen so many camp vids on X where Tibs or Burns would have easily strip sacked DJ, they run by him and... it's "DJ with the nice pass to Nabers". Doesn't that just reenforce his bad habit of holding the ball too long? Why don't they call the plays dead as soon as an obvious sack has occurred and force DJ to speed up his clock. Baffling to me

27 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Is it just me or is it bad practice to allow the plays in camp to carry on when an obvious sack has taken place. I've seen so many camp vids on X where Tibs or Burns would have easily strip sacked DJ, they run by him and... it's "DJ with the nice pass to Nabers". Doesn't that just reenforce his bad habit of holding the ball too long? Why don't they call the plays dead as soon as an obvious sack has occurred and force DJ to speed up his clock. Baffling to me

I don’t think so. The defense is typically going to win more battles especially without full pads. The whole team is practicing, not just the QB. Why stop a play with 22 players, when 1 or 2 just miss their assignment. 

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I don’t think so. The defense is typically going to win more battles especially without full pads. The whole team is practicing, not just the QB. Why stop a play with 22 players, when 1 or 2 just miss their assignment. 

Because in a real setting the play is dead and the ball is probably turned over. It's pointless to let the play go on. You are instilling this false comfort of time he doesn't have. The defense has already won the battle. It just re-enforces DJ's habit of holding way too long and getting strip sacked. Need to train him to recognize the pressure, get the ball out quick, or bail and run. Not sit back there and get wrecked and turn the ball over. Daboll needs to stop coddling. The scrum in practice today was over a defensive player knocking the ball out of DJ's hand. Oh no.. the horror...  but in reality, that happens way too much in real games. He needs to read and process faster. It's been his achilles heel since he entered the league. Athletically all the tools are there... it's the mental aspect that holds him back. 

Edited by Shockwave

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Because in a real setting the play is dead and the ball is probably turned over. It's pointless to let the play go on. You are instilling this false comfort of time he doesn't have. The defense has already won the battle. It just re-enforces DJ's habit of holding way too long and getting strip sacked. Need to train him to recognize the pressure, get the ball out quick, or bail and run. Not sit back there and get wrecked and turn the ball over. Daboll needs to stop coddling. The scrum in practice today was over a defensive player knocking the ball out of DJ's hand. Oh no.. the horror...  but in reality, that happens way too much in real games. He needs to read and process faster. It's been his achilles heel since he entered the league. Athletically all the tools are there... it's the mental aspect that holds him back. 

I understand your point, but with practices being so limited nowadays you need to take advantage of everything. You get 15 passes a day? You don’t want to lose a good rep with a receiver because they blow the play dead due to Burns beating the OL. Finish the play out, and then you get tape on both sides. If Jones didnt realize he would have been sacked, stopping the play wouldn’t have helped.

• Like 1

After preseason week 1, this is my initial predicted 53:

QB: Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Tommy Devito (3)

RB: Devin Singletary, Tyrone Tracy, Eric Gray, Turbo Miller (4)

WR: Malik Nabers, Darius Slayton, Jalin Hyatt, Wan'Dale Robinson, Isaiah McKenzie, Miles Boykin (6)

TE: Theo Johnson, Daniel Bellinger, Chris Manhertz, Lawrence Cager (4)

OT: Andrew Thomas, Jermaine Eluemunor, Joshua Miles (3)

iOL: John Michael Schmitz, Jon Runyan, Greg Van Roten, Josh Ezeudu, Aaron Stinnie (5)

(25)

iDL: Dexter Lawrence, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Jordon Riley, Ryder Anderson, Elijah Chatman (5)

EDGE: Brian Burns, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Azeez Ojulari, Boogie Basham (4)

LB: Bobby Okereke, Dyontae Johnson, Micah McFadden, Darius Muasau, Isaiah Simmons, Carter Coughlin (6)

CB: Tae Banks, Dru Phillips, Cordale Flott, Nick McCloud, Tre Hawkins, Darnay Holmes (6)

S: Jason Pinnock, Dane Belton, Tyler Nubin, Gervarrius Owens (4)

(25)

K: Graham Gano

P: Jamie Gillen

LS: Casey Kreiter

(3)

PUP: Evan Neal

• Like 1

Just now, minutemancl said:

WR: Malik Nabers, Darius Slayton, Jalin Hyatt, Wan'Dale Robinson, Isaiah McKenzie, Miles Boykin (6)

iOL: John Michael Schmitz, Jon Runyan, Greg Van Roten, Josh Ezeudu, Aaron Stinnie (5)

(25)

iDL: Dexter Lawrence, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Jordon Riley, Ryder Anderson, Elijah Chatman (5)

LB: Bobby Okereke, Dyontae Johnson, Micah McFadden, Darius Muasau, Isaiah Simmons, Carter Coughlin (6)

CB: Tae Banks, Dru Phillips, Cordale Flott, Nick McCloud, Tre Hawkins, Darnay Holmes (6)

(25)

(3)

Assuming this is the 53, the 8 inactives week 1 would be Turbo Miller, Darnay Holmes, Darius Muasau, Elijah Chatman, Joshua Miles, Tommy Devito, Lawrence Cager/Chris Manhertz, and Gervarrius Owens. Starting OL is Andrew Thomas-Jon Runyan-JMS-Greg Van Roten-Eluemunor. Miles would be the corresponding cut for whenever Neal is healthy.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

(25)

(25)

(3)

I'm overall in agreement with you on this projection. However, I think they could probably slip Elijah Chatman onto the PS. Carter Coughlin is not a lock to me either. He definitely has ST value but they also have a variety of players that can fill that role (Darius Muasau, Dyontae Johnson, Isaiah Simmons). I like Gervarrius Owens but I'm not sure they're ready to have him as one of only 4 safeties. I could see Jalen Mills as a 5th safety and Owens being more of a core ST if he makes the roster.