49ers re-sign WR Jauan Jennings (2 years, up to 15.4, 10.5 guaranteed)

Forge

He's a great blocking WR, which is huge in Shanahan's offense, but is it good practice to give that guy that much money? Seems almost like exactly the type of player you look to replace in the draft every 4 years.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Regardless of his pecking order on team, or how he is or isn't utilized, he makes big plays in the most pivotal do-or-die games. Even as a rookie I still remember him getting the winning TD to get the 49ers into the playoffs in the season finale against the Rams. He just shows up. Glad he'll be around for at least a bit longer. If you squint hard enough, his stocky build, and #15 jersey basically makes him a Brandon Marshall stunt double. :)

He always reminds me of old Hines Ward.  Similar style and even his gait reminds me of Hines.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He's a great blocking WR, which is huge in Shanahan's offense, but is it good practice to give that guy that much money? Seems almost like exactly the type of player you look to replace in the draft every 4 years.

YARN | Come on, we're simpatico. Look at us. We shop at the same store. |  Beetlejuice (1988) | Video gifs by quotes | 525406e4 | 紗

Very much how I view. Niners love their niche role players. This contract is fine. It's whatever. If he gets this contract from someone, I don't bat an eyelash....but when you're a cap team, I think its the type of deal you just let someone else pay for the most part. You have to trim the fat somewhere, and I'd rather trim that fat from the niche players than the really good ones. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Techbert said:

I took this as evidence that Deebo is Dead 49er Walking. Like, the day after June 1.

I'd be super shocked if that happens. They could have traded him at the draft if they were going to move on from him this year. I think they are just going to roll with everyone this year and are giving it one last go. There's no reason to cut anyone. It's not like they need the money. 

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is it certain its Deebo and not Ayuik?

Yeah, I'd wager Deebo is almost certainly in his final year with the niners. 49ers don't sign their long term deals until the summer. Until week 1 happens and Aiyuk is playing on the fifth year option, I'm not even sweating the aiyuk part of that. The market is pretty much set between all these receiver deals getting done so I'd expect a deal to get done if both parties are interested in staying together. 

Fred Warner signed his deal in July. Deebo signed his deal the last day of july. Kittle signed in August. Bosa signed in September. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd be super shocked if that happens. They could have traded him at the draft if they were going to move on from him this year. I think they are just going to roll with everyone this year and are giving it one last go. There's no reason to cut anyone. It's not like they need the money. 

Depends on how they want to approach things, and how valuable they think he would be to their 2024 prospects. Trading him now, you take about $22M in dead cap between this year and next (unless it happens literally tomorrow, then it would just be this year.) If you trade him next year, then you're taking a $29M cap hit to have him on roster this year, plus $15M in dead cap when you trade him next. So it should really just be a question of if they think Deebo on the roster in 2024 is worth the $22M cost difference between trading him this year, and trading him next. Plus whatever depreciation may occur in his trade value. You don't need that money now, but that could be important down the road for Aiyuk, Purdy, etc.

San Fran does err on the side of keeping the gang together, generally, though I will say they invested a lot in WRs who are not Deebo Samuel this offseason (especially if they do eventually work out a deal with Aiyuk), for a team that's going to keep Deebo Samuel.

21 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Depends on how they want to approach things, and how valuable they think he would be to their 2024 prospects. Trading him now, you take about $22M in dead cap between this year and next (unless it happens literally tomorrow, then it would just be this year.) If you trade him next year, then you're taking a $29M cap hit to have him on roster this year, plus $15M in dead cap when you trade him next. So it should really just be a question of if they think Deebo on the roster in 2024 is worth the $22M cost difference between trading him this year, and trading him next. Plus whatever depreciation may occur in his trade value. You don't need that money now, but that could be important down the road for Aiyuk, Purdy, etc.

San Fran does err on the side of keeping the gang together, generally, though I will say they invested a lot in WRs who are not Deebo Samuel this offseason (especially if they do eventually work out a deal with Aiyuk), for a team that's going to keep Deebo Samuel.

They should have traded him at the draft to clear the books for next year, tbh. No difference in the savings trading him after june 1 for next year when you account for rollover and whatnot,  but at least they could have gotten a piece that helped this year. I'm not sure if there is a player trade that they could still make that would work or not.