Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

Hoge made same point I did in recent podcast.

If average return is to 29 under new rules and touchback is to 30, why risk a kick off return?

Unless they change something it is going to be all touch backs fairly soon.  As soon as special teams coaches come to same conclusion.  

You will have to move touchback rule to 35 or 40 to get people to risk a return.  Or change something else.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If average return is to 29 under new rules and touchback is to 30, why risk a kick off return?

Unless they change something it is going to be all touch backs fairly soon.  As soon as special teams coaches come to same conclusion.  

You will have to move touchback rule to 35 or 40 to get people to risk a return.  Or change something else.

This is a fascinating detail of the coming season.  Right now it looks like a high return rate but with a negative (vs touchback) net.  The rules seem so open though, so I would bet that no special teams coordinator is showing their true in-season looks or strategy.  I still think the rule has potential to open up some good returns and highlight plays. 

I think they're going to let it ride for the season, and I would bet there are loads of wacky things ST guys are going to try. Should be interesting at the very least. 

In the end, you might be right and they need to penalize touchbacks further.  You're always such a top-down institutional control guy so that all follows.  

Should be cool to follow. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We’re still looking at a pretty small sample size. It’s been 1 week plus 2 games so far, and also low scoring games by comparison to most regular season NFL games (almost always the case in preseason). Adjustments are going to be made on both sides of this.

Even a few yards is a big deal though. I remember seeing something last year about the difference between scoring drives starting at the 20 vs. 25, or maybe the 25 vs. 30, where the frequency of a scoring drive with the 5 yard difference was several percentage points higher. 

13 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

This is a fascinating detail of the coming season.  Right now it looks like a high return rate but with a negative (vs touchback) net.  The rules seem so open though, so I would bet that no special teams coordinator is showing their true in-season looks or strategy.  I still think the rule has potential to open up some good returns and highlight plays. 

I think they're going to let it ride for the season, and I would bet there are loads of wacky things ST guys are going to try. Should be interesting at the very least. 

In the end, you might be right and they need to penalize touchbacks further.  You're always such a top-down institutional control guy so that all follows.  

Should be cool to follow. 

But that is the point.  On KO side they are willing to kick because who cares it’s preseason and we want to see what happens, 

On KR side they aren’t showing their blocking schemes, tricks or putting star athletes back there because it is preseason and even then they are still nearly making the 30.  

As it stand once regular season starts without change you would be a fool to not kick to endzone and take the touchback.

If you give the other team a big return or worse 6 pts. by deciding to kick to them you deserve derision.   There is no way to pin them deep on the KO.  It is all risk and no reward.  

In little league almost everyone onside kicks always.  Why? Because young kids struggle to tackle in open field and the very best athlete on either team is very difficult to tackle in open field because he is usually a lot faster than everyone else.

You are facing a high risk of giving up 6 pts. by kicking  deep.  So no one does it except stupid people or a team with overwhelming talent who doesn’t care.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

But that is the point.  On KO side they are willing to kick because who cares it’s preseason and we want to see what happens, 

On KR side they aren’t showing their blocking schemes, tricks or putting star athletes back there because it is preseason and even then they are still nearly making the 30.  

As it stand once regular season starts without change you would be a fool to not kick to endzone and take the touchback.

If you give the other team a big return or worse 6 pts. by deciding to kick to them you deserve derision.   There is no way to pin them deep on the KO.  It is all risk and no reward.  

In little league almost everyone onside kicks always.  Why? Because young kids struggle to tackle in open field and the very best athlete on either team is very difficult to tackle in open field because he is usually a lot faster than everyone else.

You are facing a high risk of giving up 6 pts. by kicking  deep.  So no one does it except stupid people or a team with overwhelming talent who doesn’t care.  

I think the way to go for coverage (and I haven’t really seen this) is going to be a high kick that lands between the 15 and 20, angled toward the sideline. Limit the time the blocking scheme has to set up anything, cut the field down for your coverage team, limit the returner’s space to get to full speed and dictate which of 2 returners is most likely to field the ball. There’s still a return opportunity there, but it’s more similar to a punt return. Also, if there’s any problem with the actual catching of the ball it puts the coverage team that much closer to an outright recovery and possession in plus territory than a kick to the goal line.

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the way to go for coverage (and I haven’t really seen this) is going to be a high kick that lands between the 15 and 20, angled toward the sideline. Limit the time the blocking scheme has to set up anything, cut the field down for your coverage team, limit the returner’s space to get to full speed and dictate which of 2 returners is most likely to field the ball. There’s still a return opportunity there, but it’s more similar to a punt return. Also, if there’s any problem with the actual catching of the ball it puts the coverage team that much closer to an outright recovery and possession in plus territory than a kick to the goal line.

Yes but high kicks don’t mean anything because you can’t go early.  

Your only chance of pinning them deep really is a muff or a penalty.

Maybe if you get it in corner you stop them around 20 and save ten yards.  

Edited by dll2000

Seriously.

I love the little things.  Carrying out a fake is important to success.   It is even though many QBs think they are too cool for it. 

Peyton Manning thrived on it with Edgerin James.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Seriously.

I love the little things.  Carrying out a fake is important to success.   It is even though many QBs think they are too cool for it. 

Peyton Manning thrived on it with Edgerin James.

Some people are gonna have to walk back the not being able to qb under center narrative 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes but high kicks don’t mean anything because you can’t go early.  

Your only chance of pinning them deep really is a muff or a penalty.

Maybe if you get it in corner you stop them around 20 and save ten yards.  

My thought with kicking high was more so the returner isn’t catching the ball already on the run to get a full head of steam. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My thought with kicking high was more so the returner isn’t catching the ball already on the run to get a full head of steam. 

We'll see.

A pattern should settle in on week 2 of reg season after people show their hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We'll see.

A pattern should settle in on week 2 of reg season after people show their hands.

Just watch it be so busted someone breaks Devin’s career return td record in a year. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Just watch it be so busted someone breaks Devin’s career return td record in a year. 

The XFL used this KOR format last year and only had 1 total KO return TD in 10 weeks. I couldn’t find anything about the frequency of touchbacks.