Next 3 Texans in HOF?

I saw this topic on twitter so decided to make a thread about it.

If I had to make the prediction I will say:

JJ Watt

CJ Stroud  (yeah I'm going out on that limb)

The third is tough.  Some might say Hopkins, and I think if he didnt get hurt and suspended in 2021-2022 he would be a shoo in for it. Plus would he go in as a Texan given how he departed the organization (Stupid O'Brien).   Tunsil "could" be the 3rd, but thats only if he plays 4-5 more seasons of elite tackle play and make a few more Pro Bowls.  Maybe Will Anderson?

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 2

1. Watt. No brainer, he's First Ballot. If it wasn't for Tom Brady, he'd likely be the headliner from his class.

2. DeAndre Hopkins. His peak was incredible and his highlight reel is what everyone was expecting from Odell Beckham Jr. He's going to have to wait, but he's probably in on the 3rd or 4th time on the ballot.

3. Duane Brown. He's got a resume (5x Pro Bowler, 3x All Pro). He's got longevity too, it's possible he plays next season. It seems like forever ago, but he spent a decade in Houston and only five years in Seattle (along with two years in NYJ) so if he gets the nod, its as a Texan; 4 of his 5 Pro Bowl seasons and two of his All Pro seasons were in those 10 years in Houston. I don't see a world where he gets in quickly. Might even be a Hall of Very Good sort of guy.

(I'm intentionally omitting Texans who might get in because of their careers elsewhere - specifically Vince Wilfork, possibly Stefon Diggs).

Y'all sleeping on JJo (Jonathan Joseph).

Majority of his career in Houston (despite being drafted by Bengals).

#2 ALL-TIME in passes defensed (3 short of the record)

Give JJo his flowers!

20 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Y'all sleeping on JJo (Jonathan Joseph).

Majority of his career in Houston (despite being drafted by Bengals).

#2 ALL-TIME in passes defensed (3 short of the record)

Give JJo his flowers!

I didn't know the PD stat, it's definitely an interesting argument - but zero All Pros and two Pro Bowls over a 16 year career along with no sort of playoff moment/success will get him shafted.

- Champ Bailey (1 on the list) was a 12x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro and a member of the 2000 All Decade team. 

- Ronde Barber (3 on the list) is a 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro, SB Winner and another member of the 2000 All Decade team, all while being an important cog in that historic Tampa 2 defense; His name is just as big in that narrative as Tony Dungy, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks or John Lynch.

- Charles Woodson (5 on the list)? 1999 Defensive Rookie of the Year, 2009 Defensive Player of the Year, 9x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro, SB Winner and (yep) member of the 2000 All Decade team.

4th on the list is Terrance Newman: 15 years, two Pro Bowl seasons. That's really it. This is more in line with Joseph's career, majority of time in one city, longevity over a career but... just no hardware, no individual accolades. Just a stat. Theoretically, if Joseph is a HoF guy ...so is Newman. 

Bailey, Barber and Woodson have stellar resumes, the PD numbers are a small footnote to a bigger narrative. Joseph and Newman are very good players and probably Ring of Honor guys for Houston/Dallas - but Hall of Fame? I personally need more than one stat.

Watt and that's it. Stroud may have a shot, as is Anderson and Stingley if they are who we think they are.

Hopkins I don't think gets in. WR is notoriously a hard position to get in and unlike Andre, wasn't loved by everyone. In some ways, he was underrated but I still don't think he gets in.

• Like 1