2024 Preseason GDT Week #2 Steelers vs. Bills

BJones’s issue last night was not related to practice a certain side or anything. It was a lack of heart and drive. Just had no effort. 

What’s disheartening was all the reports from the practice against the same guys a day before was that he was really good. 

This is two games in a row where the effort just isn’t there. What’s being practiced isn’t happening in game from the way everyone is talking about it. 

• Like 1

Did anyone see the play wherein Payton Wilson was a little out of position, spun and ran away from the line of scrimmage to halt the ball carrier and throw him down despite not having the leverage or physics in his favor? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

BJones’s issue last night was not related to practice a certain side or anything. It was a lack of heart and drive. Just had no effort. 

What’s disheartening was all the reports from the practice against the same guys a day before was that he was really good. 

This is two games in a row where the effort just isn’t there. What’s being practiced isn’t happening in game from the way everyone is talking about it. 

🤦

https://x.com/alex_kozora/status/1824988031486406903?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

“Jones is battling an elbow/arm injury and the big brace he plays with could be impacting his technique. But Jones has no power on his punch and his hands are too high, getting bullied and beat repeatedly by the Bills’ pass rush.”

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

🤦

https://x.com/alex_kozora/status/1824988031486406903?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

“Jones is battling an elbow/arm injury and the big brace he plays with could be impacting his technique. But Jones has no power on his punch and his hands are too high, getting bullied and beat repeatedly by the Bills’ pass rush.”

I'm not sure what this is in regards to if you are agreeing with me or using it as a point to disagree. but he's been practicing with that brace on and didn't have these issues in practice according to reports.

I dont disagree at all , but have to seriously wonder if its as Bigben7MVP mentioned that the injury issue has him weak and he just doesnt realize how strong he needs to be to take on the worlds best and fight with everything you have rather than get by with just being more physically talented and overwhelming your opponents. 

He got an early start on that first play and gave up every single inch of his ground. I dunno if that was supposed to be a screen but I didn't really think so.. The ground he gave up once contacted with that early start totally disrupted the play rather than being deceptive. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

FWIW this is what Chris Hoke said on his radio show in Pittsburgh after the game:

Interesting that Broderick declined all interviews after the game. 

Funny thing to me was Jones issues should've been the lead story of this game and the heart of all the questions for Tomlin after the game. I cringe so often at the medias worthless questions. Labriola & the Espn girl ... uggh

29 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Interesting that Broderick declined all interviews after the game. 

Funny thing to me was Jones issues should've been the lead story of this game and the heart of all the questions for Tomlin after the game. I cringe so often at the medias worthless questions. Labriola & the Espn girl ... uggh

Oh for sure. For as smart of a fan base we have the media is rather dumb.

33 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I dont disagree at all , but have to seriously wonder if its as Bigben7MVP mentioned that the injury issue has him weak and he just doesnt realize how strong he needs to be to take on the worlds best and fight with everything you have rather than get by with just being more physically talented and overwhelming your opponents. 

He got an early start on that first play and gave up every single inch of his ground. I dunno if that was supposed to be a screen but I didn't really think so.. The ground he gave up once contacted with that early start totally disrupted the play rather than being deceptive. 

It's interesting. Like I said he's been really good in practice. Maybe they (Bills) went easy in practice, but he's held his own against TJ and Highsmith in camp and they aren't guys to hold back at all. So maybe it was a strength thing. I hope it wasn't an effort issue because despite how bad Moore is, one thing he does is gives his full effort all the time.

I'd be interested in knowing if Jones is pushing himself to practice with this injury because he feels like eh would end up benched if he sat out. Which is silly. He's hurting himself more practicing and playing that hurt than he is sitting out a short time and letting it heal. I dunno. Like I said, this issue I've spotted the last two games are more personal than being that he's playing a side he should or shouldn't. R or L doesn't matter when you talk about exposing your chest, small choppy steps, losing leverage battles. Those (IMO) are fundamentals of playing tackle, not specifics to playing left or right tackles.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Oh for sure. For as smart of a fan base we have the media is rather dumb.

It's interesting. Like I said he's been really good in practice. Maybe they (Bills) went easy in practice, but he's held his own against TJ and Highsmith in camp and they aren't guys to hold back at all. So maybe it was a strength thing. I hope it wasn't an effort issue because despite how bad Moore is, one thing he does is gives his full effort all the time.

I'd be interested in knowing if Jones is pushing himself to practice with this injury because he feels like eh would end up benched if he sat out. Which is silly. He's hurting himself more practicing and playing that hurt than he is sitting out a short time and letting it heal. I dunno. Like I said, this issue I've spotted the last two games are more personal than being that he's playing a side he should or shouldn't. R or L doesn't matter when you talk about exposing your chest, small choppy steps, losing leverage battles. Those (IMO) are fundamentals of playing tackle, not specifics to playing left or right tackles.

Just watched Dulac and Fitapaldo after the game. They/Ray mentioned he had an injury issue this week at the scrimmage practice, left practice to evaluate, but then came back to practice. 

I think it has to be an issue. He has ZERO power in that punch either hand, which may also be a lack of experience with 1 handed punches or the injury/feeling of weakness creates an off balance, but that guy is no doubt stronger than that tape or those plays showed. I'd be really concerned that it is or can very easily be a serious issue that should really be shut down. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Just watched Dulac and Fitapaldo after the game. They/Ray mentioned he had an injury issue this week at the scrimmage practice, left practice to evaluate, but then came back to practice. 

I think it has to be an issue. He has ZERO power in that punch either hand, which may also be a lack of experience with 1 handed punches or the injury/feeling of weakness creates an off balance, but that guy is no doubt stronger than that tape or those plays showed. I'd be really concerned that it is or can very easily be a serious issue that should really be shut down. 

And if the in house philosophy is he needs reps so right side is ok since he can protect that left arm then thats something I take big issue with.

I am curious is Fautanu were healthy, and Jones had a leg up on LT, that he would be sitting.

I'm not sure what this is in regards to if you are agreeing with me or using it as a point to disagree. but he's been practicing with that brace on and didn't have these issues in practice according to reports.

Jones technique and hand placement were horrendous last night. 

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Jones technique and hand placement were was horrendous last night. 

FTFY. Everything was bad. Effort, focus, technique. It's been two straight games too so I can't even get on the Chris Carter boat of "bad night".

• Like 1