Week 2 Preseason: New York Giants @ Houston Texans

Acgott

On 8/18/2024 at 11:17 AM, Danger said:

The win against the vikings in 2022 could be the worst thing to happen to this franchise in quite some time.

Eh?

The worst thing that happened to this franchise in recent memory was drafting Barkley instead of drafting a QB or trading down in the draft and rebuilding the offensive line to raise Eli's level of play.

The second worse thing in recent memory was not trading Barkley last year after the lost to the Bills, we could have got a nice draft haul from him and trading him would have been a sign to the rest of the team that the front office is focused on 2024, the players knowing this wouldn't have given their all and the close games we did win we would have lost allowing us to draft one of the top 3 Quarterbacks. 

You make it sound like the Giants were 50/50 on DJ before the Vikings game; they were not. He had quality wins, beating the Ravens (with a healthy Lamar Jackson), the Packers, and Jacksonville. 

35 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

And that's going to make them better how? Who's playing QB?

Yes, spending money on good players helps the team. I do not know who will play QB, but the results can’t be any worse.

25 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Eh?

The worst thing that happened to this franchise in recent memory was drafting Barkley instead of drafting a QB or trading down in the draft and rebuilding the offensive line to raise Eli's level of play.

I agree.  I had same thought back when before that draft.  

Here is what I said (link below):

If you were Giants GM are you going to turn down a potential franchise QB or 3 number 1's and probably more for one RB, a merely above average pass rusher or a guard?  What's worth more to a team? 

You might consider it if a winning season in 2018 is only way to save your job, but it's dereliction of duty.  

I think taking Barkley might get them 8 or 9 more wins with Eli, but then Eli retires or simply cant effectively play anymore.  He may already be there.  Then what? 

Look what you could have had.  You dont want to he stuck at .500 over paying free agents every year to keep you at .500. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I was sick when I heard just a few months ago that Elway called Gettleman willing to offer everything to move up to 2 for Darnold in 2018 and Gettleman didn't even answer the phone.

The Carolina trade (possibly) changed the course of our franchise (Bears).

Drafting any non QB when there are sought after QBs in draft at 1, 2 or 3 is insane.  No one is worth it.  Not even an elite pass rusher.  Especially not a RB even an elite RB.

You take a QB or you trade the pick.

Only time you don't is no one likes the QBs and you don't have the option.