AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's simple: if Pierce built the team like that, we would say he's an idiot. If Harbaugh builds a team like that, he's either a genius or he's just rebuilding.

Harbaugh has been a success everywhere he's been. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

AP has never been a coordinator before. It's up to him to earn that same respect. 

Pretty simple really. 

On 8/31/2024 at 11:37 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Copium for a lot of people. 

Adams pushed to come to the Raiders to be part of what was expected to be a high powered offense alongside his longtime friend, along with growing up a Raiders fan. 

He'll remain professional to a point, but I don't think it's all kumbaya whatsoever. When he came on board, we were on an upward trajectory with the expectation that the prior year's momentum would carry over and we'd be squarely in the playoff hunt for the foreseeable future. That was his biggest impetus for leaving a Green Bay team that remains a playoff contender. Add Adams back to Green Bay, they're probably favored over Detroit for the division. 

Instead, Adams had 1 dysfunctional season with a horrible HC choice and watched his friend get unceremoniously benched and sent packing (and according to at least some reports, watched as the team went full schizophrenic in whether they were going to try and convince him to come back once they realized Stidham wasn't some revelation and had few realistic options). Then he got homicide balls thrown his way by his funky HC's personal QB choice for half of another lost season, before spending the rest trying to catch passes from a borderline backup rookie. 

Now, we're all but punting on this year at QB again, our new HC and OC are unexciting and unproven- and right now a distant last ranked in the division until they do something. It's so opposite what he signed up for that there's no way he could truly be happy and locked in 100%. Why would he be? People will cite whatever playerspeak about how he's happy to be a Raider and it's a dream come true blah blah blah, but let's be honest, that's just professionalism. Baker Mayfield called being the Browns QBOTF a dream come true too, and literally nobody spent the last 20 or so years dreaming of being the Browns QB. 

I love Adams. I still firmly believe he's a top 4 WR in the league with a good QB. I'd love nothing more than for him to be here and help us win a Superbowl. But I also wouldn't hold it against him if he showed up and pulled a Vontae Davis, retiring at halftime. He didn't have to agree to come here, and we're not so far removed from what he signed up for that it's almost criminal to keep him, even if he truly wanted to stay. 

This team is doing nothing with Adams on the roster and why I have been so vocal about moving him this offseason.  I do agree that he is currently still a top WR but he is also about to be 32 and is on the decline..  This very well could be his last elite season physically which will be wasted on a team that is not a contender.  If our front office could do their job at a high level we would have moved on from him and gotten younger this year.  It would have been a win/win for both teams as we would have gotten an end of the 1st pick and Adams would be on a team that is supposed to consistently win games.  I have us at about 7 wins this season as the D has improved but we still have a ton of questions which include QB, Oline, CB which all three are massive holes. 

If I were Adams and we start out poorly I wouldn't be pissed if he demands to get traded.  I would if I was him... If this does occur I sure hope our front office is smart enough to not let him go for anything less than and end of round 1 pick. 

Losing sucks and until we can prove otherwise we are a losing franchise which is why it has been difficult to attract FA unless we overpay for their services.  Terrible drafting and poor value when signing FA's is exactly where we are a bottom tier NFL franchise.  Until we can start drafting well (most importantly), land a good young QB and getting good value from FA signings we will see more of the same thing we have witnessed over the last 25 years.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Again... what's your point?

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We'll beat the chargers and then most people on here(essentially all of the "why didnt we hire Harbaugh" people) will make excuses for why it doesn't matter around this time next week.

That

Harbaugh has been a success everywhere he's been. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

AP has never been a coordinator before. It's up to him to earn that same respect. 

Pretty simple really. 

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We'll beat the chargers and then most people on here(essentially all of the "why didnt we hire Harbaugh" people) will make excuses for why it doesn't matter around this time next week.

Pretty simple really

He's never had a pure passer at QB like Herbert. Roman schemes his offense around the QB he's working with. Kaepernick and Lamar being the notable guys. They were running QBs. Herbert is not a running QB. He will scheme to his strengths and support him with a strong running game. 

Blaming Greg Roman lack of passing schemes on his starting QB skill set is WILD

An athletic Passing QB matched with an OC who excels at a running attack and is known for predictable simplistic offensive passing schemes seems questionable 

Roman was hired to install a running scheme and be a fall guy for Harbaugh in 2 years once LA gets out of salary trouble 

9 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Greg Roman offenses have fielded some of the worst passing attacks every time he’s given a job. Once you figure out his run scheme the offense is done. And people were calling Getsy bad. 

Greg Roman has actually been with good offenses, Getsy is god awful.

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's simple: if Pierce built the team like that, we would say he's an idiot. If Harbaugh builds a team like that, he's either a genius or he's just rebuilding.

Harbaugh has built two college programs and took an NFL team from god awful to Super Bowl contender, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Long Beach Poly legitimately got worse under AP, lol.

9 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I think Harbaugh is a great coach but I’m curious as to what you think of his decisions this offseason. Mainly they depleted their passing game and tabbed Greg Roman, a notoriously run heavy guy, as OC. With a guy like Herbert, this seems like this is the exact opposite of what they should be doing to build their program.

They drafted Quentin Johnston with the 21st pick in 2023 and Ladd McConkey with the 34th pick in 2024. It wouldn't look nearly as dire if Telesco didn't completely botch the QJ pick. I mean didn't Greg Roman and Harbaugh make it to a Super Bowl together?  

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Harbaugh has built two college programs and took an NFL team from god awful to Super Bowl contender, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Long Beach Poly legitimately got worse under AP, lol.

Las Vegas Raiders got legitimately better under AP.

Edited by Jeremy408

14 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Harbaugh has built two college programs and an NFL team into contenders over decades of coaching. 

AP went 5-4 with wins against Easton Stick, Tommy DeVito, Zach Wilson, and Jarret Stidham... 

The cool thing with AP is that unlike Rich there won't be any room for speculation, either he will get it done or he won't. Anything less than the playoffs this year is unacceptable, right?

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What exactly is the point are you trying to make here? Why would they make excuses if the Raiders win? Who are they making excuses for?

The Raiders despite being a 3.5 point underdog have the better talent. Harbaugh is still head and shoulders superior to Peterson as coach. Which coach you buying 3 years from now building their program?

It's one of the most annoying and at the same time fascinating phenomenon you'll find in a forum.

No matter what, there's always a bunch of guys that gonna defend their opinion to a point where it starts being ridiculous.
And you'll find them on both ends of a topic.

So it is almost guaranteed that if we win against the Chargers someone starts saying "we only one because, bla bla bla"
and if we lose you will find someone that finds an excuse for that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This team is doing nothing with Adams on the roster and why I have been so vocal about moving him this offseason.  I do agree that he is currently still a top WR but he is also about to be 32 and is on the decline..  This very well could be his last elite season physically which will be wasted on a team that is not a contender.  If our front office could do their job at a high level we would have moved on from him and gotten younger this year.  It would have been a win/win for both teams as we would have gotten an end of the 1st pick and Adams would be on a team that is supposed to consistently win games.  I have us at about 7 wins this season as the D has improved but we still have a ton of questions which include QB, Oline, CB which all three are massive holes. 

If I were Adams and we start out poorly I wouldn't be pissed if he demands to get traded.  I would if I was him... If this does occur I sure hope our front office is smart enough to not let him go for anything less than and end of round 1 pick. 

Losing sucks and until we can prove otherwise we are a losing franchise which is why it has been difficult to attract FA unless we overpay for their services.  Terrible drafting and poor value when signing FA's is exactly where we are a bottom tier NFL franchise.  Until we can start drafting well (most importantly), land a good young QB and getting good value from FA signings we will see more of the same thing we have witnessed over the last 25 years.  

I see you're back from your break. How much money did you make in the stock market this time? Did you start a new business? 

I think I speak for everyone here when I say I sure am glad you  found time in your busy schedule to tell us all how bad the franchise is for the umpteenth thousand time. We all know how valuable your time is and how you wouldn't possibly waste any of it on something as redundant as..... oh wait.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

That

And I asked, why would people do that?

7 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Better in the interim, sure. Better in the long term.... TBD. 

An interim coach taking over and winning the locker room and emotion of the team simply by "not being the last guy" is normal, but proven unsustainable historically. AP is looking to buck a major trend if he's to succeed. 

5 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

It's one of the most annoying and at the same time fascinating phenomenon you'll find in a forum.

No matter what, there's always a bunch of guys that gonna defend their opinion to a point where it starts being ridiculous.
And you'll find them on both ends of a topic.

So it is almost guaranteed that if we win against the Chargers someone starts saying "we only one because, bla bla bla"
and if we lose you will find someone that finds an excuse for that.

Ah... I see. Here I was thinking it's week 1 of a long season and we know better than to overreact on one early season game. 

11 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Blaming Greg Roman lack of passing schemes on his starting QB skill set is WILD

An athletic Passing QB matched with an OC who excels at a running attack and is known for predictable simplistic offensive passing schemes seems questionable 

Roman was hired to install a running scheme and be a fall guy for Harbaugh in 2 years once LA gets out of salary trouble 

Roman was hired because his offenses are physical and wear teams down. Which is how Harbaugh wants to win on offense. Tough, physical and balanced. 

I'm not arguing Roman's pass schemes have been a mess to say the least. I'm simply saying he's never had a QB like Herbert to execute a passing offense. Let's see what that looks like.