Week Two 9/15/24 game thread: vs Houston

beardown3231

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Rewatched the game in the middle of the night like a f***ing moron

Oh Beardown, buddy,  don't do this to yourself. 

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Eberflus is a great defensive coach but the offense being this unprepared & bad and him approving this s*** each week is not exactly a feather in his cap. His challenges (and the explanation postgame) are embarrassing. If Poles is serious he needs to start considering and doing homework on Slowik and Kubiak so he's ready in January

I think Flus is very very mediocre, but I don't think they should switch coaches after this year, even if this is the product they put out.  It was an odd decision to keep him, but at this point you have to keep him unless there is a total collapse with fights in the locker room, dogs and cats living together etc.  I think we'd be compounding mistakes by making wholesale changes after CW first year. 

Stupid Bears making me advocate for keeping Flus.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Oh Beardown, buddy,  don't do this to yourself. 

I think Flus is very very mediocre, but I don't think they should switch coaches after this year, even if this is the product they put out.  It was an odd decision to keep him, but at this point you have to keep him unless there is a total collapse with fights in the locker room, dogs and cats living together etc.  I think we'd be compounding mistakes by making wholesale changes after CW first year. 

Stupid Bears making me advocate for keeping Flus.  

What if they're eating the dogs and cats?

Anyway, I can see how an 8 or 9 win year would look good for him. Fart. After the game he said the run game was "OK." 😅

Bears RBs thru 2 weeks have 33 carries for 82 yards (2.48 ypc), and if you take away Swift’s 20 yard run at the end of the TEN game it’s less than 2 yards per carry. After 2 games we’ve been 3rd and 8+ fourteen times alreadyThe lack of a running game is putting everything on Williams for us to move the ball, and letting defenses tee off on our porous OL.

I’m still waiting to see Waldron make any kind of adjustment through 2 games too. Where are the moving pockets? We got blitzed almost 42% of the time yesterday. Where’s the counter punch adjustment? I don’t even care what it is (max protect, screen, slant, etc.) - can we just see it

• Like 2

It’s kind of stupid that guys in NY have all this power over overturning this or that, but can’t toss a guy for throwing a haymaker in someone’s face on camera.  

This kickoff is stupid and a near complete waste of time.   Make touchback the 35 or scrap it.  

Flus had a terrible game.  He wasted two challenges and a timeout in a tight game.  

Shine is coming off Poles a bit now that actual games are being played.  Football is still won in trenches and offensive trenches are not getting it done.   For 4th straight year.   

I don’t want to make it about me, but every year I coached middle school football or 5th and 6th grade I had at least 2-3 parents who hated me for putting their kid on Oline.  

“My kid is too good of an athlete to play Oline.”  I heard it time and again for more than a decade.  Exactly.   I play good players on Oline.   Because that lets me win football games.  Good olines is cheat code for winning football.  

They even tried to get me fired over it multiple times. But we did win. Every year but one.   And that was because of a major rule change my org. didn’t tell me about on weight limits.  

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

What if they're eating the dogs and cats?

I would suggest braising or some other kind of slow cooking?

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Anyway, I can see how an 8 or 9 win year would look good for him. Fart. After the game he said the run game was "OK." 😅

Haha, in that case I can absolutely see Poles or McCaskey praising how he handled adversity, AGAIN.  

"Really appreciated the way he dug us out of the hole he dug"

Great DC... HC remains to be seen but early signs are dead average at best. Best case scenario is Caleb comes along and drags the team into relevance, and the coaches are along for the ride.  Most likely path to success from where I sit. 

• Like 1

If Bears lost game 40-37 people would be mostly fine with it.  Especially against a better team.  They would be excited even. 

It was consensus Texans were better team before game. But people are losing their minds because of way we lost.  Because that is way Bears have won or lost for … since 40s.  And fans are tired of it.  It is not this teams fault.  It is just fatigue.   

We have invested more into defense as a whole and complete unit than the offense.    We have left Oline for last and it shows.  

Edited by dll2000

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Remember how everyone patiently explained how a good defense is really what is best for a young QB.   

LOL.  Caleb left some teeth and a finger and rib in Texas.  

Who says that?  That sounds like the kind of BS you explain to disappointed kid.  "Well you know a PS6 is cool but you can learn more an encyclopedia!"

It was a calculated risk to trot this OL out there while going big on WR and defense. Going patchwork and cheap on interior IOL can work, but you have to make good evaluations. It sure seems like they don't make those which looks doubly weird given how hard they pursued Ryan Bates like he was some kind of answer, vs how he actually seems to play and how he was valued by the Bills. 

That said, it's still early. Caleb hasn't had his season ending injury yet, and they could improve.  At the moment though, it seems silly to have been considering the Bears as a playoff team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Who says that?  That sounds like the kind of BS you explain to disappointed kid.  "Well you know a PS6 is cool but you can learn more an encyclopedia!"

It was a calculated risk to trot this OL out there while going big on WR and defense. Going patchwork and cheap on interior IOL can work, but you have to make good evaluations. It sure seems like they don't make those which looks doubly weird given how hard they pursued Ryan Bates like he was some kind of answer, vs how he actually seems to play and how he was valued by the Bills. 

That said, it's still early. Caleb hasn't had his season ending injury yet, and they could improve.  At the moment though, it seems silly to have been considering the Bears as a playoff team. 

You didn't hear that?   I must have heard it 50x this off season from talking heads on youtube and podcasts.

Defense will keep him in games while rookie struggles.  

8 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yes.  We kind of acted like Bates went in first wave of FA for a huge price or was a top 15 pick in draft.  He was third string in Buffalo and was about to be waived.  Shelton was waived and was beating Bates out for starting job.   We basically went with 2 guys that were just sitting there to be key guys.   And we have another guy we are counting on who has had attitude problems since he came in.  That's 3 of your top 6.   

Meanwhile other teams we are playing are like my whole dline is first round draft picks or high priced FAs.  Good luck.  

8 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

In fans mind only the last game matters.  Still a long way to go.  They can get right again still.  

Right now MN is greatest team on earth.  I will say I am incredibly impressed with their coaching.  Especially their DC.  That dude can flat frustrate you at times.  He plays a lot more cat than mouse.  That can burn you.  But it can also you win you a lot of games.

I mean I was looking at Houston's roster in that game.  And I was like oh I liked that guy in draft and that guy and that guy.  They really built up that team fast.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Yes.  We kind of acted like Bates went in first wave of FA for a huge price or was a top 15 pick in draft.  He was third string in Buffalo and was about to be waived.  Shelton was waived and was beating Bates out for starting job.   We basically went with 2 guys that were just sitting there to be key guys.   And we have another guy we are counting on who has had attitude problems since he came in.  That's 3 of your top 6.   

Meanwhile other teams we are playing are like my whole dline is first round draft picks or high priced FAs.  Good luck.  

Bold is reality and then we are like Waldron is so stupid.  He is stupid in some ways, but in other ways he is kind of screwed.