Let's talk the CMC injury

RaidersAreOne

All CMC injury does is make the Niners losing in the Superbowl last season look even that much more worse. The one season CMC stayed relatively healthy and the Niners missed on that opportunity. I think about the Rams capitalizing on OBJ staying relatively healthy and the Rams winning the Superbowl. I think about the Seahawks when they had Percy Harvin and he staying relatively healthy and they capitalized by winning the Superbowl. Like when you have an elite caliber player who has injury concerns and they have that one season where they stay relatively healthy you have to capitalize on it bc its not a lock they will have another relatively healthy season again for you to make a deep run and be right there to win a Superbowl.

Thats really across any sports. I think of the Lakers winning the NBA title when they got a relatively healthy season from both AD and LeBron but mainly AD. You just cant waste those seasons. Hopefully CMC will be ok but from what Im reading it doesnt sound like it. And the Niners have a more than capable back in Mason but he aint CMC thats why the Niners are in the 20s in redzone offense. Where as with CMC they were the best. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

All CMC injury does is make the Niners losing in the Superbowl last season look even that much more worse. The one season CMC stayed relatively healthy and the Niners missed on that opportunity. I think about the Rams capitalizing on OBJ staying relatively healthy and the Rams winning the Superbowl. I think about the Seahawks when they had Percy Harvin and he staying relatively healthy and they capitalized by winning the Superbowl. Like when you have an elite caliber player who has injury concerns and they have that one season where they stay relatively healthy you have to capitalize on it bc its not a lock they will have another relatively healthy season again for you to make a deep run and be right there to win a Superbowl.

Thats really across any sports. I think of the Lakers winning the NBA title when they got a relatively healthy season from both AD and LeBron but mainly AD. You just cant waste those seasons. Hopefully CMC will be ok but from what Im reading it doesnt sound like it. And the Niners have a more than capable back in Mason but he aint CMC thats why the Niners are in the 20s in redzone offense. Where as with CMC they were the best. 

Idk about this take, neither OBJ nor Percy Harvin are the reason either of those teams made the Super Bowl nor are they the reason the teams won the Super Bowl. Percy played very few games in the regular season, he did have a second half kr td in the Super Bowl(in an already blow out) but otherwise had like one catch. OBJ had a mediocre season and I will give you that he was pretty dang productive in the Super Bowl before going out with the ACL, but again was not the reason they made it or won it. 

My point is that having elite playmakers is certainly helpful, but this is also the NFL and you never know when the next guy up is going to break out and make an impact. Have all of your stars 100% is definitely more make you or break you in the NBA than it is in the NFL(with the qb position likely being the exception). 

1 hour ago, MontanaBronco said:

Idk about this take, neither OBJ nor Percy Harvin are the reason either of those teams made the Super Bowl nor are they the reason the teams won the Super Bowl. Percy played very few games in the regular season, he did have a second half kr td in the Super Bowl(in an already blow out) but otherwise had like one catch. OBJ had a mediocre season and I will give you that he was pretty dang productive in the Super Bowl before going out with the ACL, but again was not the reason they made it or won it. 

My point is that having elite playmakers is certainly helpful, but this is also the NFL and you never know when the next guy up is going to break out and make an impact. Have all of your stars 100% is definitely more make you or break you in the NBA than it is in the NFL(with the qb position likely being the exception). 

More less with Harvin Ill give you that. OBJ was HUGE for the Rams in the postseason. Without him the Rams dont win the Superbowl. I dont think anyone will say the Rams win the Superbowl without OBJ. Maybe they beat the Cards in the first round but going to Tampa and then beating the Niners I dont think the Rams do that without OBJ. Teams couldnt cover both him and Kupp. That was his last relatively healthy season bc since then he has constantly missed time or just really wasnt himself even when he played. 

And I understand the NFL is different than the NBA but I was just saying when you have an elite caliber player that has an injury history if you can get lucky and have that player stay relatively healthy for that one season you have to capitalize. I know about the next man up but whats the drop off from a healthy CMC to the next back? And I know Mason has played well for the Niners but his impact and gameplan is totally different than that of Mason. 

On 10/2/2024 at 2:51 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

How the hell did guys like Emmitt and Payton last as long as they did?

People's ligament and tendon size, strength, and length naturally varies, so some people are more susceptible to tears.

This has been most explored in baseball because of the focus on the UCL and pitching. R.A. Dickey, for example, had to learn to throw a knuckleball because he was born without a UCL in his right elbow. The Astros refused to sign the number 1 overall pick in the MLB draft, Brady Aiken because he had a thinner UCL than expected and they were concerned about his ability to hold up (and Aiken dealt with numerous injuries in his career). I can't find information confirming it, but there's long been rumors of the similar issues with Mark Prior.

With today's focus on training, nutrition, and difficult-to-detect PEDs like HGH, it's also entirely possible we see this more and more as the muscles around the connective tissue get stronger, exerting more force, which would magnify any of those slight defects that otherwise wouldn't have been an issue.

Not saying any of this applies to CMC, but that's part of why there's a TJS epidemic in baseball and the same general principles do apply to all sports.