Which NFC Team has the best chance of beating the Patriots ?

Blackstar12

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I might end up eating my words, but I think mismatches will end up negating experience against the Panthers.

What are the mismatches?  Genuine question.  I haven't watched the Rams enough this year to know, so I'd be curious.

From what I've seen in spurts and statistically, Gurley makes me nervous.  Not so much for what he could do in the run game as much as he can in the passing game.  We've struggled against backs out of the backfield more than usual this year (Kamara, Riddick for examples).  On the other end, it seems like you guys have a bad run defense, which would hurt a lot against us.

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

What are the mismatches?  Genuine question.  I haven't watched the Rams enough this year to know, so I'd be curious.

From what I've seen in spurts and statistically, Gurley makes me nervous.  Not so much for what he could do in the run game as much as he can in the passing game.  We've struggled against backs out of the backfield more than usual this year (Kamara, Riddick for examples).  On the other end, it seems like you guys have a bad run defense, which would hurt a lot against us.

From what I've seen of Carolina, y'all have a blitz-happy defense. Offensively, your blocking and running game have been inconsistent. Our offense is designed to shred the blitz, and Gurley has torn up three of the best run defenses (heading into that game) over each of the past three weeks. Defensively, our run defense can be problematic against talented OLs, but when our DL wins in the trenches, our defense tends to shut offenses down.

3 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Panthers won't even get a chance to play the Rams considering their season ends in the Super Dome on Wild Card weekend. ;) 

If we rest our starters next week, we might end up playing the Panthers or the Saints.

Personally think the Vikings or Eagles(with Carson) have the best matchup vs the Pats. Obviously with the Wentz injury that changes so now it is the Vikings. Dominant on both fronts and very good back end on D. Not as explosive on offense, but Line is good enough to guarantee they can move the football.

Think after them it would be the Rams. Best RB of the remaining teams and and OL and DL that flashes dominance. If McVay sticks with the run and lets Gurley shred, they should be fine on offense. I think their D would struggle though. Pats would be able to run the ball and their DB's aren't great. Would pretty much come down to how dominant Donald was in the game.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

From what I've seen of Carolina, y'all have a blitz-happy defense. Offensively, your blocking and running game have been inconsistent. Our offense is designed to shred the blitz, and Gurley has torn up three of the best run defenses (heading into that game) over each of the past three weeks. Defensively, our run defense can be problematic against talented OLs, but when our DL wins in the trenches, our defense tends to shut offenses down.

Yeah, I kind of figured our blitzes would come back to hurt us against the Rams.  You guys do a good job striking fast.  We've shown a tendency to dial back on the blitzes; I don't recall us blitzing Rodgers as much as we did other QBs/offenses, especially early on.  But I'm sure that had something to do with it being A-Rod.

Our offensive line has actually been much better as of late though, especially with Kalil back from injury.  They did a phenomenal job against the Vikings defensive front (aside from Kalil (the bad brother) vs Griffen) and Ryan Kalil being back lets us give more help to Matt Kalil.  Turner should be cleared from his concussion by the playoffs I'd reckon.  I'm pretty confident in our offensive line.  CMC has averaged 4.9 YPC since the Benjamin trade (2.39 YPC prior) and as a team we're averaging something like 175 Rushing Yards since.  The spacing on the field has been so much better without him.

I'm pretty nervous about Wade Phillips' familiarity and success against us.  Rams defense doesn't quite have the talent those Broncos defenses had, but he's usually had the best game-plan against our Newton-centric offense.

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Personally think the Vikings or Eagles(with Carson) have the best matchup vs the Pats. Obviously with the Wentz injury that changes so now it is the Vikings. Dominant on both fronts and very good back end on D. Not as explosive on offense, but Line is good enough to guarantee they can move the football.

Think after them it would be the Rams. Best RB of the remaining teams and and OL and DL that flashes dominance. If McVay sticks with the run and lets Gurley shred, they should be fine on offense. I think their D would struggle though. Pats would be able to run the ball and their DB's aren't great. Would pretty much come down to how dominant Donald was in the game.

I think our DBs might do better against the Patriots-type WRs than they would do against a different sort (our DBs tend to be better match-ups for slot-type WRs) . The question is how we'd cover Gronk. I imagine our offense would put up a lot of points against the Patriots D considering their pass rushing and run stopping issues.

I think our DBs might do better against the Patriots-type WRs than they would do against a different sort (our DBs tend to be better match-ups for slot-type WRs) . The question is how we'd cover Gronk. I imagine our offense would put up a lot of points against the Patriots D considering their pass rushing and run stopping issues.

The Pats haven't really relied much on slot-type WRs this year, though. The passing game runs through Gronk and, to a lesser extent, Cooks.

It would be a high scoring game, but I am not sure that would favor the Rams. The reason I think the Rams matchup so well is Gurley. Control the ball and make Brady sit on the sideline for most of the game. That is the key.

Just now, Starless said:

The Pats haven't really relied much on slot-type WRs this year, though. The passing game runs through Gronk and, to a lesser extent, Cooks.

Yea, but Amendola, Hogan (when healthy), and your HBs are the secondary options. And even Cooks is undersized (although, he's much faster than your typical slot WR). It would be interesting to see how Wade handled Gronk. I wouldn't be surprised if he put Trumaine Johnson on him.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It would be a high scoring game, but I am not sure that would favor the Rams. The reason I think the Rams matchup so well is Gurley. Control the ball and make Brady sit on the sideline for most of the game. That is the key.

With Zuerlein out, maybe not. But the point is that we can hold our own in a shootout.

Yea, but Amendola, Hogan (when healthy), and your HBs are the secondary options. And even Cooks is undersized (although, he's much faster than your typical slot WR). It would be interesting to see how Wade handled Gronk. I wouldn't be surprised if he put Trumaine Johnson on him.

Hogan isn't a slot-type WR, either. His specialty is streaks, deep posts and back-shoulder throws.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

With Zuerlein out, maybe not. But the point is that we can hold our own in a shootout.

You definitely could, I would just worry that game plan would play right into what the Pats want. Give Brady a chance to win another SB by slinging the ball around? Not the game plan I would draw up.

Archived