NFL notes fewest number of concussions in preseason/practices since tracking began in 2015

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean... that happened in neither practice or preseason. Is the assumption that this decline has something to do with the guardian caps? If so, we may very well see the NFL try to incentivize widening their use

I know, I know...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean... that happened in neither practice or preseason. Is the assumption that this decline has something to do with the guardian caps? If so, we may very well see the NFL try to incentivize widening their use

I think it has more to do with players not practicing nearly as much as they used to. I think they are limited to something like a dozen padded practices in a season. 10-15 years ago they would have had that same amount in the first month of the season. The era of two a days is long gone.

Edited by StatKing

This is a good thing, but it’s probably directly linked to the way teams approach practice/preseason now. And we’ve been seeing some really, really sloppy football as a result.

But that’s a trade off you make, so it is what it is. I’d rather have my brain and shake off some rust for a couple weeks.

Teams were less physical than any other year we have ever seen in practice, so that might be the reason for this. The only team that was super aggressive in practice was the Raiders and AP looks like an idiot for it. Injuries all over the place including Koonce out for the year and Crosby missing his first game of the season. 

Soft practice cause an absolute terrible product the first half of the season though, as we are seeing now. I think there needs to be a balance of aggressive but not overdoing like pretending it’s a game.