War's Christmas Day Mock 5 rounds

warfelg

ROUND 1 PICK 29

LB JOSH ALLEN KENTUCKY

6'5" 230 

Explosive and fast.  While he played OLB at Kentucky, I would look to possibly shift him inside and use him as a replacement for Shazier.  He is big, and fast.  Not exactly the strongest and doesn't play with the best leverage off the edge, so a move inside would keep him clean and let him make some plays.  Not the Josh Allen everyone expected to perform to such a high level.

ROUND 2 PICK 62

FS DeShon Elliot Texas

6'2" 210

Coverage safety more than a box safety....which is a good thing.  6 INT, 9 PD, 50+ tackles on the year.  Not a fast player like Earl Thomas, more of a long and rangy safety in the Eric Berry mold.  His size gives him the ability to be a "Gronk Killer" in the way no one else on this team can.  His long arms have a chance to make him really special.  Classic wrap up tackle, as he makes the "sure" play most often as opposed to going for the big play.

ROUND 3 PICK 93

OLB LORENZO CARTER GEORGIA

6'6" 250

I'm loving this kid.  Really really long.  He's a guy that is very underrated as the LB on the other side of him is the one that gets all the love.  Keeping up my usual gut feeling with Georgia LB's, I think Carter might end up making the better pro LB'er.  I think OLB is going to be further down their list, which is why I didn't pick a LB'er sooner in the draft.  He play's with OK leverage, but what he does so well is he can use his long arms to get blockers off of him and get free to make a play.

ROUND 4 PICK 125

OC BRADLEY BOZEMAN ALABAMA

6'5" 311

Very stout against the run.  OC/OG ability.  Could allow us to move on from Foster and move Finney into the starting lineup without losing anything off the bench.  Looking for him to eventually be the heir apparent to Pouncey on the inside.

ROUND 5 PICK 158

CB ED PARIS LSU

6'1" 208

Bigger corner with the ability to play man.  Has a background as a safety as well so knows what he's looking at.  Strong at the line.  I think that he's a guy that can provide depth behind Burns, Sutton, and Hilton for a while.

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If your write ups are to believed, it looks like a great draft.

Yeah, I would like this draft as well. Elliot really impresses me. A free safety who can actually tackle and cause turnovers? You mean they can do that? I wouldn't know the past few years.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If your write ups are to believed, it looks like a great draft.

They all have their flaws:

Allen - Hasn't played ILB, has been an edge rusher.

Elliot - Not a range-y athletic guy

Carter - Struggles to play with leverage

Bozeman - needs to get stronger, at best stone walls guys as opposed to moves them

Paris - misses on jams often, doesn't play the ball in the air all that great, doesn't play zone, not a great tackler

The first 3 picks I'm iffy on.  Allen has nice size and I too would prefer him at ILB but question his instincts/awareness.  He reminds me of Bud Dupree and that's not a good thing.  Elliott is a ballhawk but I need to look at every interception to see his ability to read and recognize.  Are his interceptions a result of overthrows, great recognition, bad QB play, etc... He doesn't remind me of Earl Thomas but rather Darrian Thompson.  Carter is another raw and underwhelming prospect.  Hype is all he is to me.  Love Bozeman!  I hate a CB who uses press technique but bails!  Not a fan of Paris at all.

34 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

The first 3 picks I'm iffy on.  Allen has nice size and I too would prefer him at ILB but question his instincts/awareness.  He reminds me of Bud Dupree and that's not a good thing.  Elliott is a ballhawk but I need to look at every interception to see his ability to read and recognize.  Are his interceptions a result of overthrows, great recognition, bad QB play, etc... He doesn't remind me of Earl Thomas but rather Darrian Thompson.  Carter is another raw and underwhelming prospect.  Hype is all he is to me.  Love Bozeman!  I hate a CB who uses press technique but bails!  Not a fan of Paris at all.

I'm iffy on Allen too, but I was looking at what the team value, which seems to b athletes over most anything else.

I watched Elliott's INT's and it was a combination of quite a few things, partially some over throws.  The other part is that he just is in position because he reads QB's really well.  I wasn't saying he's like ET, I was just saying that he's not like that at all.  He's not a fast cover all ground, he's more of a long lanky style who can tip a ton of passes because of that.

Carter is the same reason as Allen.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I'm iffy on Allen too, but I was looking at what the team value, which seems to b athletes over most anything else.

I watched Elliott's INT's and it was a combination of quite a few things, partially some over throws.  The other part is that he just is in position because he reads QB's really well.  I wasn't saying he's like ET, I was just saying that he's not like that at all.  He's not a fast cover all ground, he's more of a long lanky style who can tip a ton of passes because of that.

Carter is the same reason as Allen.

My bad.  I was disagreeing with the video caption.  I don't have to look now since you've explained it to me.  Thanks! 

Archived