The good, the bad, the ugly vs Steelers

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Styrian Raider said:

I mean, injuries happen, that's unlucky - but if injuries happen more often than in other teams, then there must be a reason. bad training facilities or false training intensity throughout the season.

well as said before, i don't know how things work in LA - maybe it is like you said. But I agree that Mark will ultimately hire the HC, which gives me about the same amount of concerns as if Telesco would.

I don't think it is a problem if we draft a young QB and then fire the HC - I think in more often than not a HC has to work with the QB that's already there. And it shouldn't be a surprise for him when he signs a contract, that he has to deal with the young quaterback.
Personally I wouldn rule out hiring a HC that doesn't want said young Rookie, but he has to have good arguments why.

Injuries happen for every team but the good teams typically draft well and have good depth to compensate for it. IIRC the only player drafted in the third round or later that got a second contract under Telesco was Keenan Allen. 

Agreed. One thing though is that Telesco and Mark have basically been on the opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to hiring practices. Telesco has targeted up and coming coordinators (McCoy/Lynn/Staley) while Mark has hired almost exclusively retreads. (Gruden/JDR/JMD) 

Mark is in a weird spot because he has to realize that the team isn't close to contention but he still has to find ways to keep the fan base interested in a new market. Which is why he has consistently pandered to the fan base with short sighted moves like trading for AB, trading for Adams, hiring Gruden, etc. 

I don't think it's the end of the world but I also don't think that it's ideal. I think you'd ideally want the HC/QB to be able to grow together from the start. And another thing is that even if we fire Getsy, I personally don't have any faith for AP to find a better replacement.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I had some hope for Laube as our poor man's CMC, lol. I don't even think it really matters though at this point, our OL is terrible and we won't be able to establish the run so our offense is gonna suck.

That our OL struggles is one thing - also that our RBs are not top tier.
But what I personally don't understand why we still try the same things over and over again.
I am so sick of our drives starting with two runs, that hardly get a yard each, and 3rd and long situations all day.

• Like 1

That our OL struggles is one thing - also that our RBs are not top tier.
But what I personally don't understand why we still try the same things over and over again.
I am so sick of our drives starting with two runs, that hardly get a yard each, and 3rd and long situations all day.

Zamir played well at the end of the year and Mattison had some monster performances over the years filling in for Cook. They're both JAGS but if we had a good OL I think they'd be able to produce at an okay level.

And it's because Luke Getsy is a terrible play caller. The Minshew pick 6 was the perfect example of it. You have Minshew (right handed) rolling out to the left and all three guys running routes to the exact same spot.

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe I’m giving them too much credit, but if I was an owner I’d want to know what the plan was if they couldn’t get their guy in the immediate draft. What is the plan moving forward, the 2025 draft, bridge QBs, and I fear the plan may be the Sanders clown show 😞

The plan was:

• Gut the roster offensively of basically all top tier talent

• Pass on making a move for a QB in one of the strongest classes in recent memory

• Punt the season with mediocre QB play

• Be forced to draft a QB early in a significantly weaker class

If Mark gets his way, I'd bet a large sum of money that we ultimately end up with Shedeur Sanders. He's going to want a big name to excite the fanbase and Shedeur is also very close to TB.

Edited by NYRaider

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Zamir played well at the end of the year and Mattison had some monster performances over the years filling in for Cook. They're both JAGS but if we had a good OL I think they'd be able to produce at an okay level.

And it's because Luke Getsy is a terrible play caller. The Minshew pick 6 was the perfect example of it. You have Minshew (right handed) rolling out to the left and all three guys running routes to the exact same spot.

The run scheme change didn't do Zamir any favor - same goes for the O-Line.

Getsy just too often forces things, that just don't work. And on the other hand refuse to do what worked.
We had the same issue with JMD - when it doesn't work, then you have to adjust to what works.
Didn't need to be a offense genius.

6 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

The run scheme change didn't do Zamir any favor - same goes for the O-Line.

Getsy just too often forces things, that just don't work. And on the other hand refuse to do what worked.
We had the same issue with JMD - when it doesn't work, then you have to adjust to what works.
Didn't need to be a offense genius.

To be fair none of our RB's have looked very good with Getsy's scheme. The OL has been pretty damn terrible though so it's hard to really put it on one thing or another.  

And to be honest what has really worked for us offensively this year other than getting the ball to Adams and Bowers? 

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To be fair none of our RB's have looked very good with Getsy's scheme. The OL has been pretty damn terrible though so it's hard to really put it on one thing or another.  

And to be honest what has really worked for us offensively this year other than getting the ball to Adams and Bowers? 

Well what did we really change on the O-Line?
Kolton - still there, but not as good as in previous years.
JPJ - should be an upgrade to what we had before
James & Parham - still here with Parham playing on the other side
Munford/Glaze - replacing Eluemunor / Munford already did that last year

So it's not like there was a majour overhaul and we have a completely new starting O-Line this year.
The only major change was the scheme change and the O-Line coach change.

For me that means one of that major changes or both are why our O-Line struggles so far.
We have to see it through the rest of the season, if that gets better or not.

Well you named it.
Get the ball to Adams, Bowers early and open up the run with that - with Meyers and Tucker you have another option in the passing game.
(we don't had all the options against the steelers, i know but still)

Well what did we really change on the O-Line?
Kolton - still there, but not as good as in previous years.
JPJ - should be an upgrade to what we had before
James & Parham - still here with Parham playing on the other side
Munford/Glaze - replacing Eluemunor / Munford already did that last year

So it's not like there was a majour overhaul and we have a completely new starting O-Line this year.
The only major change was the scheme change and the O-Line coach change.

For me that means one of that major changes or both are why our O-Line struggles so far.
We have to see it through the rest of the season, if that gets better or not.

Well you named it.
Get the ball to Adams, Bowers early and open up the run with that - with Meyers and Tucker you have another option in the passing game.
(we don't had all the options against the steelers, i know but still)

Agreed, JPJ was the only significant upgrade they made and he hasn't even been healthy for most of the season. 

I think the biggest issues for the OL have been:

• Kolton isn't healthy and his play has fallen off a cliff

• Parham and James are the definition of JAGs and are smaller OL / don't generate any push in the run game

• Glaze / JPJ are rookies and haven't even played a ton this year

It's just tough though because even though our best plan of attack is definitely to get the ball to our pass catchers, our OL sucks in pass protection, and I don't think either QB is really capable of operating in a high volume passing offense.