2025 Titans QB Situation

KingTitan

I know we have a college prospect thread, but I think the QB position needs one of it's own.

Levis, FA, Drafted Rookie, Trade....

The QB spot will be a hot topic all season and off-season. 
Barring an unforeseen turn around from Levis, this will be a spot to be addressed. 

Like was said in another thread, I don't think I have the energy to try to talk myself into another questionable QB rookie.  It has to be done, but I just don't look forward to trying to ignore the warts of this QB class. 

TitanUp?

• Like 1

I don't know if the 2026 QB class looks that much better, barring the prospects from this class that stick around another year, there's not much to write home about.  Nico Iameleava has been playing awful the last couple games, Arch is back on the bench, and Jackson Arnold lost his starting spot.  So none of them seem very likely to come out in 26.

So what then?  LaNorris Sellers?  A flash in the pan that we don't even have on our radars yet?

This administration can't wait for 2027.  They'll all be jobless if we're picking highly there.  It's hard for me to not see a QB getting drafted in this coming class.  May not be in the first, but one is getting drafted, I bet.

In free agency, Sam Darnold and Justin Fields look to be the best available by a wide margin.  Darnold hasn't been a world beater, and if we were gonna go Fields I don't know why we wouldn't just draft a toolsy QB this year.

Titans can draft a QB and still get some ready to start players at positions of need.  It's a deep Edge class, and IOLs can be found in the middle rounds.  Spend the first on the QB you like, the second on an Edge, and the fourth on the best remaining OL.  Continue the rebuild.

• Like 1

If Darnold gets away from the Vikings I wouldn't hate him. Unfortunately I think he'd turn into bad Darnold here but Darnold, OL, WR, edge in some combo in free agency and the the first 2 rounds I would not hate.

I just cannot get excited for any QB in the draft coming up. Maybe Cam Ward. Maybe. Still would need a RG and RT and WR for him. 

i really don't feel as bad about this QB class as some people seem to. it doesn't have the surefire top 5 pick type guys (and it is a shame we missed out on this past year's top 3), but it's not 2022 either. i am totally uninspired by beck, allar, ewers, and dart. but to me, milroe, ward, and sanders all have serious talent (and nussmeier could work his way in there as well, if he comes out)- they all have more question marks than you'd like, certainly, but to an extent that's kind of just what drafting a QB is. 

and yeah, right now if you're waiting until 2026 you're banking on nico showing a ton of growth next year and declaring, arch balling out consistently and declaring, and then....who else is there? not clear to me that that's going to be a better situation, and like it or not it's not how anyone running a team is going to think.

Edited by -Hope-

13 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i really don't feel as bad about this QB class as some people seem to. it doesn't have the surefire top 5 pick type guys (and it is a shame we missed out on this past year's top 3), but it's not 2022 either. i am totally uninspired by beck, allar, ewers, and dart. but to me, milroe, ward, and sanders all have serious talent (and nussmeier could work his way in there as well, if he comes out)- they all have more question marks than you'd like, certainly, but to an extent that's kind of just what drafting a QB is. 

and yeah, right now if you're waiting until 2026 you're banking on nico showing a ton of growth next year and declaring, arch balling out consistently and declaring, and then....who else is there? not clear to me that that's going to be a better situation, and like it or not it's not how anyone running a team is going to think.

Which one is the best in the pocket? That's all I really want.

5 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

Which one is the best in the pocket? That's all I really want.

depends on what you mean. in terms of sensing pressure and creating, it's definitely ward, but he's also the type of guy who holds the ball way too long trying to play hero ball. sanders is the best operating in structure with timing, accuracy, and anticipation, but his pocket presence is very inconsistent. there will be plays where he does a great job stepping up in the pocket, facing the rush down, and delivering a dime, but i'd say there are probably more where he runs backward or does some dumb spin move and takes a truly horrendous sack. it's noticeably improved from last year to this year, so you hope that that continues, but right now it's a serious concern. then milroe is kind of his own beast of course. he's shown a ton of growth as a pocket passer from last year to this year but is still very much an unfinished product.

comparing to this past draft class- i would take all three of these guys over penix or nix quite easily, but i would have taken williams or maye over all three of them no question. i had daniels in probably a similar tier....which is looking like egg on my face, lol.

I feel like this past year you had true enough QB prospects. 

Even tho I wasn't a big fan of Williams, I do feel he is a NFL QB.  Just not the generational guy. Then there was Drake Maye and Daniels. 

Then outlier guys that worked up to being prospects like Pennix, Nix and McCarthy. 

This year, it was pretty much Sanders, Ewers and maybe Beck. Ewers and Beck aren't worthy of 1st round pick in my opinion. 

The other guys are guys who will work their way into a draft pick like McCarthy, Nix and Pennix did. 

Ward even said he was graded as a Day 2ish pick, so he decided to go back to school. Has he changed enough to raise that grade? I dunno. I haven't watched closely enough. 

Daniels was also graded lower and raised up so there is that. Have to see how Ward finishes up. But comparatively at this point I would say Daniels was a cleaner player. 

I can talk myself into Milroe. Hearing how great a guy he is and how he works. But man I don't have any faith in this organization to develop anyone. 

Milroe just doesn't come off as a QB that plays the style Cally wants. 

Sanders to me is the best fit as of now but the side stuff with Deion and controlling the draft and likely want to go to a big market, I don't know. 

Ugh. I just hate the feeling of thinking we are gonna reach for a QB. 

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

depends on what you mean. in terms of sensing pressure and creating, it's definitely ward, but he's also the type of guy who holds the ball way too long trying to play hero ball. sanders is the best operating in structure with timing, accuracy, and anticipation, but his pocket presence is very inconsistent. there will be plays where he does a great job stepping up in the pocket, facing the rush down, and delivering a dime, but i'd say there are probably more where he runs backward or does some dumb spin move and takes a truly horrendous sack. it's noticeably improved from last year to this year, so you hope that that continues, but right now it's a serious concern. then milroe is kind of his own beast of course. he's shown a ton of growth as a pocket passer from last year to this year but is still very much an unfinished product.

comparing to this past draft class- i would take all three of these guys over penix or nix quite easily, but i would have taken williams or maye over all three of them no question. i had daniels in probably a similar tier....which is looking like egg on my face, lol.

It honestly sounds like Sanders is what our coaching staff would want (though how the hell can you tell with our unga bunga offense).

I like the idea of bringing someone like him here, but I just worry that he (and his dad lol) probably would hate being here. Even though Nashville is growing, there's still this perception that it's a "small town" especially compared to the other places he could wind up going.

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I feel like this past year you had true enough QB prospects. 

Even tho I wasn't a big fan of Williams, I do feel he is a NFL QB.  Just not the generational guy. Then there was Drake Maye and Daniels. 

Then outlier guys that worked up to being prospects like Pennix, Nix and McCarthy. 

This year, it was pretty much Sanders, Ewers and maybe Beck. Ewers and Beck aren't worthy of 1st round pick in my opinion. 

The other guys are guys who will work their way into a draft pick like McCarthy, Nix and Pennix did. 

Ward even said he was graded as a Day 2ish pick, so he decided to go back to school. Has he changed enough to raise that grade? I dunno. I haven't watched closely enough. 

Daniels was also graded lower and raised up so there is that. Have to see how Ward finishes up. But comparatively at this point I would say Daniels was a cleaner player. 

I can talk myself into Milroe. Hearing how great a guy he is and how he works. But man I don't have any faith in this organization to develop anyone. 

Milroe just doesn't come off as a QB that plays the style Cally wants. 

Sanders to me is the best fit as of now but the side stuff with Deion and controlling the draft and likely want to go to a big market, I don't know. 

Ugh. I just hate the feeling of thinking we are gonna reach for a QB. 

To me it's not a reach if you get it right. 

But we never get it right lol. So I get what you mean.

9 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Agree on Sanders to me is the most pro ready. He takes way too many sacks. But he has top level talent. 

I'm just so scared of Milroe. I feel it would be 2 more years of over analyzing QB play. I do think Milroe would give us a jolt with his athletic ability. But as a passer I'm just not convinced yet. 

I liked Pennix but older. Injury history just said nah to me. 

I loved Daniels. Oh to dream. Lol. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Agree on Sanders to me is the most pro ready. He takes way too many sacks. But he has top level talent. 

I'm just so scared of Milroe. I feel it would be 2 more years of over analyzing QB play. I do think Milroe would give us a jolt with his athletic ability. But as a passer I'm just not convinced yet. 

I liked Pennix but older. Injury history just said nah to me. 

I loved Daniels. Oh to dream. Lol. 

I really wonder what could have been if we had been willing to ship Simmons to get Stroud

1 minute ago, Kookie23 said:

To me it's not a reach if you get it right. 

But we never get it right lol. So I get what you mean.

Lol. Yeah. I mean that was the hope with Willis and Levis. Take the "right" guy despite where you take him. 

If we drafted a guy in the 1st it might not be a reach with his rating. But a reach in terms of them only being a fringe starter at best. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

Lol. Yeah. I mean that was the hope with Willis and Levis. Take the "right" guy despite where you take him. 

If we drafted a guy in the 1st it might not be a reach with his rating. But a reach in terms of them only being a fringe starter at best. 

From what I've been repeatedly told by media/radio is that Callahan was an amazing Quarterback whisperer who helped guys like Peyton reach new heights

If that's actually true then in theory he should be able to get someone like Sanders or Ward and do things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

From what I've been repeatedly told by media/radio is that Callahan was an amazing Quarterback whisperer who helped guys like Peyton reach new heights

If that's actually true then in theory he should be able to get someone like Sanders or Ward and do things.

Which makes our current situation a head scratcher. Not that he was going to be elite. Just didn't expect him to get worse. 

But Malik did improve some. Not a lot but some. 

I think Sanders and Cally would be a great match in the football field. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Which makes our current situation a head scratcher. Not that he was going to be elite. Just didn't expect him to get worse. 

But Malik did improve some. Not a lot but some. 

I think Sanders and Cally would be a great match in the football field. 

Malik is what really throws a wrench into all these conversations to me. We saw both of them under Vrabel.

If Malik weren't a part of the equation then it's super easy to just blame Callahan and the framing of this whole thing might be different. But even in the preseason he did look better than before. So, clearly Callahan is capable of helping some quarterbacks at least.