Raiders sign QB Desmond Ridder

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

And what did he do? 

We came into the season with a ton of unused money. We're right back to the Reggie McKenzie days of "Oh, stop complaining look how much cap space we have!" until that space goes virtually untouched and we have a depleted roster. 

Honestly, it's a little bit disingenuous to throw the blame on Gruden and JMD right now. 

Miller and Parham came from them on the OL. Tucker and Meyers (Adams when we had him) were brought by JMD, as was White (who is miscast more than untalented). Crosby, Koonce, most of whatever is eve worthwhile on D was brought in by the previous regimes. 

Telesco didn't inherit an empty cabinet. He inherited a team everyone was saying a few months ago just needed a QB (and OC in some cases after Getsy was hired, depending on how one felt about him from the onset). To circle back now and claim Telesco had nothing to work with is a nonsensical defense. 

Where was he when Getsy was named OC? Why didn't he do the GM thing and put his foot down? We had plenty of money and we didn't virtually nothing with it- similar to what he did with the Chargers up until he tried amd whiffed so bad he literally apologized in person to his DBs group. 

He did little to bring in a QB via the draft or FA beyond Minshew, which was never more than a bad pipe dream. We give AP grief for bringing Getsy in, but Telesco was already hired and in control of that situation. Getsy is as much on Telesco as he is AP, if not more. 

What actually happened is Telesco got fired by LA because he sucked at his job, he came in and allowed Luke Getsy to be hired, did his usual "standing firm" in the draft and made a shortsighted misjudgement that a QB would obviously be available at 13 and missed out, had to resort to a bum FA pseudo-bridge QB as the starter, wouldn't commit to trying to win or going ahead and tanking, brought virtually nobody in on offense outside of a backup RB, and has seen Patrick Graham's defense revert back to its mean, as expected by everyone except those with a weird affinity for the guy, and tried to hold onto valuable trade resources (Adams) long after their value dropped. 

You'll defend him because he got Bowers and you're a self-admitted Georgia homer. That's fine you're happy about that and excited about Bowers. But that doesn't absolve or negate the negatives Telesco brought with him from LA. 

I agree with most of this too. I was very critical of Telesco's first offseason. His free agency was beyond atrocious when you factor in the cap space he had to work with and the net of what he brought in. It could be clearly seen as soon as May that he wasn't going to do much to this roster.  I heard and understand the be patient approach but offseason was over and he didn't make much of any move after the initial wave of free agency to try to win now.  

55 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I agree with most of this too. I was very critical of Telesco's first offseason. His free agency was beyond atrocious when you factor in the cap space he had to work with and the net of what he brought in. It could be clearly seen as soon as May that he wasn't going to do much to this roster.  I heard and understand the be patient approach but offseason was over and he didn't make much of any move after the initial wave of free agency to try to win now.  

I know it's just season 1, but I'm seeing how/why the Chargers cap situation went to the crapper. 

We signed Wilkins. That's a "win now" move. Next year, we probably bring someone else in. Then new deals. Then drafting 2, 3 years downstream, then re-signing guys yet again. 

His vision, whatever it may be, doesn't ever seem to line up with the reality of the contract and cap situations. By the time we get guys in place, others will be too expensive to keep, but he seems keen to sign and re-sign guys in "win now" moves when it's arguably not feasible.  

Wilkins was a "win now" move and his deal expires 2027. We won't even have a rookie QB in place until 2025, and probably not truly ready to take a leap until 2026. So we signed Wilkins for 1 year of hopeful competition before he's more expensive to keep? 

It's just 1 offseason, 1 move, 1 draft in isolation, but when you look for the "big picture"....it doesn't make a lot.of sense and resembles a bad roster with a few overly bloated contracts on guys treading water on a losing team- exactly what the Chargers wound up being. 

It would make more sense to make a splash signing (or two) and compliment it with several other moves a year in advance of a rookie QB reset. Instead, he made that splash signing at least 2-3 years ahead and left other holes to wait and play catch up with later.

Seems more like Fantasy Football to me- get the big one and punt the rest later. I don't think that works in real life. In HC terms, he appears to lack situational awareness as a GM.