2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

There's no defense in the Big 12. However Mayfield shredded a great Georgia defense.

Actually that was his worst game of the year. There’s several videos out there that show that he struggled in that game. And actually Georgias secondary isn’t their strength. It’s the front 7.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Relatively speaking. Manziel was no different from Mayfield in college. That’s not me saying Mayfield will go down the same path... but it’s similar.

What did Manziel do wrong in college? Nothing really. It was his showboating (Mayfield). His partying (Mayfield has gotten in trouble for partying). Etc.

Mayfield is a relatively short white QB that can extend plays with his feet, that is where the similarities end. Maturity is an issue but that is an incredibly vague issue to have. The crotch grab while immature was a retaliation to Kansas refusing to shake his hand and hitting him late. Planting the flag was a rush of competitive emotion after losing to them the previous year. Both poor judgement but I'll take that type of immaturity over the antics Manziel pulled. 

2013 off season

This is just one offseason.

Mayfield's biggest red flags are his height and the police tape where he resisted arrest. Height doesn't look like it has been an issue, we'd have seen more batted balls at the line of scrimmage. The arrest is concerning because ideally you want a low profile QB but I don't think GMs are going to blow it out of proportion. They will see it as a college kid getting too drunk, if he was having habitual drinking issues then you'd probably have a stronger argument. If you want to knock his level of competition, that is fine, but Mayfield was not the huck and pray running QB that Manziel was. I firmly believe if he was 6'3" he'd be a lock as the #1 pick.

Just an observation but Mayfield will be famous because he is a QB, Manziel was a QB to become famous.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Austin Allen - Arkansas - 53 (left), 54 (right)

Josh Allen - Wyoming - 62 (left), 62 (right)

JT Barrett - Ohio State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Kurt Benkert - Virginia - 55 (left), 56 (right)

Sam Darnold - Southern Cal - did not throw

Danny Etling - LSU - 54 (left), 56 (right)

Luke Falk - Washington State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Riley Ferguson - Memphis - 52 (left), 54 (right)

Quinton Flowers - South Florida - 49 (left), 49 (right)

Lamar Jackson - Louisville - 49 (left), 49 (right)

Kyle Lauletta - Richmond - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Tanner Lee - Nebraska - 56 (left), 57 (right)

Chase Litton - Marshall - 53 (left), 55 (right)

Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma - 59 (left), 60 (right)

Josh Rosen - UCLA - 57 (left), 59 (right)

Mason Rudolph - Oklahoma State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Nic Shimonek - Texas Tech - 55 (left), 55 (right)

Mike White - Western Kentucky - 53 (left), 55 (right)

Logan Woodside - Toledo - 52 (left), 52 (right)

52 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

Austin Allen - Arkansas - 53 (left), 54 (right)

Josh Allen - Wyoming - 62 (left), 62 (right)

JT Barrett - Ohio State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Kurt Benkert - Virginia - 55 (left), 56 (right)

Sam Darnold - Southern Cal - did not throw

Danny Etling - LSU - 54 (left), 56 (right)

Luke Falk - Washington State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Riley Ferguson - Memphis - 52 (left), 54 (right)

Quinton Flowers - South Florida - 49 (left), 49 (right)

Lamar Jackson - Louisville - 49 (left), 49 (right)

Kyle Lauletta - Richmond - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Tanner Lee - Nebraska - 56 (left), 57 (right)

Chase Litton - Marshall - 53 (left), 55 (right)

Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma - 59 (left), 60 (right)

Josh Rosen - UCLA - 57 (left), 59 (right)

Mason Rudolph - Oklahoma State - 52 (left), 52 (right)

Nic Shimonek - Texas Tech - 55 (left), 55 (right)

Mike White - Western Kentucky - 53 (left), 55 (right)

Logan Woodside - Toledo - 52 (left), 52 (right)

I don't think you pick a QB on ball velocity if we did Joe Montana wouldn't have made the NFL and Jamarcus Russel, would be in the hall of fame. Arm strength is great but only a part of a QB's game. But thanks for the info it was interesting.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Actually that was his worst game of the year. There’s several videos out there that show that he struggled in that game. And actually Georgias secondary isn’t their strength. It’s the front 7.

You wanna hear something nuts?  Baker had a QB rating of 147.7 against Georgia.... not terrible for your worst game of the year

Here is where it gets fun.  Josh Rosen's season QB rating is 147.0

Sam Darnold 148.1

Josh Allen 127.8

Lamar Jackson 146.6

That's right..... Bakers worst game is better than or on par with the rest of the QB's season stats.  That is insane.  Did they go against #6 D in the country Georgia for EVERY GAME??  

28 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

You wanna hear something nuts?  Baker had a QB rating of 147.7 against Georgia.... not terrible for your worst game of the year

Here is where it gets fun.  Josh Rosen's season QB rating is 147.0

Sam Darnold 148.1

Josh Allen 127.8

Lamar Jackson 146.6

That's right..... Bakers worst game is better than or on par with the rest of the QB's season stats.  That is insane.  Did they go against #6 D in the country Georgia for EVERY GAME??  

You wanna hear something? That’s why I don’t particularly like any QB in this draft class. Not just Mayfield. Not a single one of them scream franchise QB to me. Yes I’m well aware that if we don’t get Cousins or Bridgewater that we will more than likely draft 1 of them. That doesn’t mean I have to like them as a prospect.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You wanna hear something? That’s why I don’t particularly like any QB in this draft class. Not just Mayfield. Not a single one of them scream franchise QB to me. Yes I’m well aware that if we don’t get Cousins or Bridgewater that we will more than likely draft 1 of them. That doesn’t mean I have to like them as a prospect.

I think it is a very good class.  I feel like we forget all of the flaws that are discuss about the QB prospects from previous years.  There was huge doubt and shade thrown at every QB that has panned out in the NFL.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Mayfield is a relatively short white QB that can extend plays with his feet, that is where the similarities end. Maturity is an issue but that is an incredibly vague issue to have. The crotch grab while immature was a retaliation to Kansas refusing to shake his hand and hitting him late. Planting the flag was a rush of competitive emotion after losing to them the previous year. Both poor judgement but I'll take that type of immaturity over the antics Manziel pulled. 

2013 off season

This is just one offseason.

Mayfield's biggest red flags are his height and the police tape where he resisted arrest. Height doesn't look like it has been an issue, we'd have seen more batted balls at the line of scrimmage. The arrest is concerning because ideally you want a low profile QB but I don't think GMs are going to blow it out of proportion. They will see it as a college kid getting too drunk, if he was having habitual drinking issues then you'd probably have a stronger argument. If you want to knock his level of competition, that is fine, but Mayfield was not the huck and pray running QB that Manziel was. I firmly believe if he was 6'3" he'd be a lock as the #1 pick.

Just an observation but Mayfield will be famous because he is a QB, Manziel was a QB to become famous.

Imo that’s just bc you like Mayfield. On the field in college all Manziel really did was do what Mayfield does. Talk trash and do his money sign. On the field Mayfield was actually worse bc of crotch grabs and such. I’ve never compared what Mayfield dies off the field to Manziel. Although baker doesn’t exactly have a clean record off the field.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Imo that’s just bc you like Mayfield. On the field in college all Manziel really did was do what Mayfield does. Talk trash and do his money sign. On the field Mayfield was actually worse bc of crotch grabs and such. I’ve never compared what Mayfield dies off the field to Manziel. Although baker doesn’t exactly have a clean record off the field.

You compared the two but other than them being under sized white QBs they aren't that similar. Manziel was a run first QB who lobbed balls to Evans where as Mayfield very clearly tries to throw and doesn't have a WR worthy of being drafted.

Peyton Manning rubbed his taint on a female staff member in college and he turned out fine

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I don't think you pick a QB on ball velocity if we did Joe Montana wouldn't have made the NFL and Jamarcus Russel, would be in the hall of fame. Arm strength is great but only a part of a QB's game. But thanks for the info it was interesting.

If you draft a QB based solely on mph you'd be an idiot but it is another metric to use when comparing the top QBs. It's no different than comparing heights, hand size or 40 times.

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

You compared the two but other than them being under sized white QBs they aren't that similar. Manziel was a run first QB who lobbed balls to Evans where as Mayfield very clearly tries to throw and doesn't have a WR worthy of being drafted.

Peyton Manning rubbed his taint on a female staff member in college and he turned out fine

Manziel threw for 4,150yds with 1,400 of that going to Evans their last year. So that’s hardly the case. They are compared bc they are cocky successful QBs with similar traits. Small size, play with passion, etc.

Like I stated for the hundredth time. I’m not saying that Mayfield is Manziel but there are much more similarities to them besides just size and race.

I think what all you Mayfield fans need to realize how he’s the polar opposite of what Macc likes. So the possibility of us drafting him are slim if the bunch. I’d suggest trying to find one of the others to really like. Macc has never shown to like smaller QBs. And the biggest thing is how we’ve been trying to change the culture of this team. Mayfield doesn’t fit that either. You can say his issues are overblown, it’s just passion, his teammates love him, etc. At the end of the day NFL teams view that as a distraction and a cocky player. With us trying to clean up the locker room he isn’t going to be very high on the list imo. I think we have him ahead of Jackson but behind the other 3.

22 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I think it is a very good class.  I feel like we forget all of the flaws that are discuss about the QB prospects from previous years.  There was huge doubt and shade thrown at every QB that has panned out in the NFL.

I agree this is a very good class, if we end up with one of these QB's in the draft I will be happy. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Manziel threw for 4,150yds with 1,400 of that going to Evans their last year. So that’s hardly the case. They are compared bc they are cocky successful QBs with similar traits. Small size, play with passion, etc.

Like I stated for the hundredth time. I’m not saying that Mayfield is Manziel but there are much more similarities to them besides just size and race.

Plays with passion...that could not be any more vague. Small size, sure, but that is where the similarities end. 

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Plays with passion...that could not be any more vague. Small size, sure, but that is where the similarities end. 

So mayfield never got arrested? Or did antics on the field that shouldn’t have been done?

Archived