Week 17 GDT: AFC SOUTH CHAMPS (10-5) @ Tennessee Titans (8-7) - Play or Rest?

.Buzz

23 hours ago, .Buzz said:

They think we're going to sit a lot of guys.

Thing is... Vegas doesn't guess at much.  With millions of dollars at stake every day... especially on NFL days, they often have the best inside info regardless of industry.  Their insiders must be telling them that the Jags may start players, but may pull them early... or they just believe the Titans at home are the better team... 6 points is a lot though, so I'd guess it's something closer to the former.  

Trying to take all sentiment and favoritism out of this, the Jags have so much to lose going all in for this game.  There's the obvious injury concern, obviously... but there's the psyche part as well.  If the Jags go all in... and lose again to the Titans... what kind of psyche do both teams carry into next week?  Even on the road, the Titans would have the mental edge... having not just beat the Jags, but also having beat them earlier in the year in Jax.  That's some heavy stuff to deal with a week later.

Resting players would probably result in a loss... but the mental game is much different.  Jags already won the division, had nothing to play for and gave the backups some valuable PT.  A loss under those circumstances doesn't sting as bad.  They would still go into next week thinking they're the better team... once their A team is on the field.  I dunno... it just seems like a lot more to risk than gain.  

7 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Thing is... Vegas doesn't guess at much.  With millions of dollars at stake every day... especially on NFL days, they often have the best inside info regardless of industry.  Their insiders must be telling them that the Jags may start players, but may pull them early... or they just believe the Titans at home are the better team... 6 points is a lot though, so I'd guess it's something closer to the former.  

Trying to take all sentiment and favoritism out of this, the Jags have so much to lose going all in for this game.  There's the obvious injury concern, obviously... but there's the psyche part as well.  If the Jags go all in... and lose again to the Titans... what kind of psyche do both teams carry into next week?  Even on the road, the Titans would have the mental edge... having not just beat the Jags, but also having beat them earlier in the year in Jax.  That's some heavy stuff to deal with a week later.

Resting players would probably result in a loss... but the mental game is much different.  Jags already won the division, had nothing to play for and gave the backups some valuable PT.  A loss under those circumstances doesn't sting as bad.  They would still go into next week thinking they're the better team... once their A team is on the field.  I dunno... it just seems like a lot more to risk than gain.  

Eh, maybe. But honestly, with how big of strides we've made at home this year as the season has went on, I'm not so sure.

We have to young of team to sit players who are still developing and need the work. I get if we lighten the load on guys like Calais, Marcedes, etc. while not putting out guys who clearly aren't good to go. But sitting players has shown to sometimes have ill effects too.

Im not too worried about the whole "psyche" thing. You guys have way more to play for than us. There will be guys who have a lighter workload and a few who don't play. This is also at your house, whereas next week it wouldn't.

Jaguars say WR Marqise Lee (ankle) is out for Sunday's game at Tennessee. LB Blair Brown (concussion), LT Cam Robinson (abdomen), NT Abry Jones (back) are questionable. WRs Allen Hurns (ankle) and Keelan Cole (quad) have been removed from injury report. Hurns will play for the first time since Nov. 12.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdirocco_michael.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropMichael DiRocco, ESPN Staff Writer

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, maybe. But honestly, with how big of strides we've made at home this year as the season has went on, I'm not so sure.

We have to young of team to sit players who are still developing and need the work. I get if we lighten the load on guys like Calais, Marcedes, etc. while not putting out guys who clearly aren't good to go. But sitting players has shown to sometimes have ill effects too.

Im not too worried about the whole "psyche" thing. You guys have way more to play for than us. There will be guys who have a lighter workload and a few who don't play. This is also at your house, whereas next week it wouldn't.

So it's not all in... like Marrone is saying.  Meaning Vegas would be correct in calling Marrone's bluff.

It'll be a moot point if the Jags beat the Titans and bounce them from the playoffs. But if Marrone does put in a good faith effort to get the W, and falls short... the psyche and momentum stacks up against them... neutralizing the "better" team status as well home field.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas put it as a toss up... with neither team getting more than 3 points next week.  

Just now, ragevsuall17 said:

So it's not all in... like Marrone is saying.  Meaning Vegas would be correct in calling Marrone's bluff.

It'll be a moot point if the Jags beat the Titans and bounce them from the playoffs. But if Marrone does put in a good faith effort to get the W, and falls short... the psyche and momentum stacks up against them... neutralizing the "better" team status as well home field.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas put it as a toss up... with neither team getting more than 3 points next week.  

Again, I'm not really worried about that.

Also, Vegas is down to 3 points. So something could have changed.

Either way, I'm not worried about this teams psyche. There is some things that worry me about this team, but a loss this week isn't one. Not with guys like Ramsey, Bortles (who has shown to shut out the critics for years now), Calais, Telvin, Malik, etc. This team is one of the most confident/high on themselves teams I've ever seen.

This is a young team that likely has a window for a few years now pending on bringing in good depth/staying healthy. We went from picking top 5 to winning the AFC South and hosting a home playoff game. It's defied odds and regardless of what players/outside people thought coming into the year after losing since they've been here and done what they've done. 

There's a lot of talent here, but I fully expect the limited playoff experience on this roster to shine through at some point. Hopefully Bortles continues his improved play and shows up in big games (ala Seattle) and it's a moot point.

Either way, this Sunday doesn't worry me one way or another. I'd prefer a win with "momentum" going into the playoffs. But we won 3 straight, two in blowout fashion and one against an NFC contender and a team that has shown to be elite prior to the SF letdown. I don't believe that much in momentum carrying from week to week. Especially at this point in the season.

Archived