Last mock before combine.

SimbaWho

Cut:   

-          RB Dwayne Washington, 600k

-          OL Joe Dahl, 600k

Signings:

-          Lions sign DT Muhammad Wilkerson to a 5 year deal worth 75 million dollars, 15 million dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar annual roster bonus, 11 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign C Russell Bodine to a 4 year deal worth 20 million dollars, 4 million dollar signing bonus, 4 million dollar salary.

-          Resign DT Haloti Ngata to a 2 year deal worth 10 million dollars, 3 million dollar  signing bonus, 3.5 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign OLB Connor Barwin to a 3 year deal worth 10 million dollars, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 2.5 million dollar salary.

-          Resign CB Nevin Lawson to a 3 year deal worth 10 million dollars, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 2.5 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign LB Mason Foster to a 3 year deal worth 10 million dollars, 2.5 million dollar signing bonus, 2.5 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign OLB Lamarr Houston to a 2 year deal worth 5 million dollars, 2 million dollar signing bonus, 1.5 million dollar salary.

-          Resign TE Darren Fells to a 2 year deal worth 3.5 million dollars. 500k dollar signing bonus, 1.5 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign OLB Barkevious Mingo to a 2 year deal worth 2.5 million dollars, 500k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign OLB Sam Acho to a 2 year deal worth 2.5 million dollars, 500k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

-          Resign WR TJ Jones to a 1 year deal worth the original round RFA tender.

-          Resign CB D.J. Hayden to a 1 year deal worth 1.5 million dollars, 500k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

-          Lions sign FB/RB Mike Tolbert to a 1 year deal worth 1.5 million dollars, 500k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

-          Resign LB Nick Bellore to a 1 year deal worth 1.15 million dollars, 150k dollar signing bonus, 1 million dollar salary.

-          Resign LS Don Mulbach to a 1 year deal worth the league veteran minimum.

Draft:

1st- Quenton Nelson, C/G. Norte Dame. ( 6’5, 325lbs. )

2nd- Nick Chubb, RB. Georgia. ( 5’10, 220lbs. )

3rd- Isaiah Wynn, OT/OL. Georgia. ( 6’2, 305lbs. )

4th- Jamar Summers, DB. Connecticut. ( 6’0, 190lbs. )

5th- Jake Wieneke, WR. South Dakota. ( 6’4, 215lbs. )

Roster:

Offense:
OT: Ricky Wagner, Brian Mihalik

OG: T.J. Lang,
OC: *Russell Bodine*, Graham Glasgow
OG: Quenton Nelson, Corey Robinson

OT: Taylor Decker, Isaiah Wynn

TE: Eric Ebron, *Darren Fells*, Michael Roberts

WR: Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Kenny Golladay, * TJ Jones *, Jake Wieneke

RB: Nick Chubb, Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, Tion Green

FB: *Mike Tolbert*
QB: Matt Stafford, Jake Ruddock

Defense:
DT: *Muhammad Wilkerson*, Jeremiah Ledbetter

DT: *Haloti Ngata*, Akeem Spence
DT: A’Shawn Robinson, Cornelius Washington,
Anthony Zettel
OLB: *Connor Barwin*,*Barkevious Mingo*

ILB: Jarrad Davis, *Nick Bellore*, Steve Longa

ILB: *Mason Foster*, Jalen Reeves-Maybin
OLB: *Lamarr Houston*, *Sam Acho*
CB: Darius Slay, Quandre Diggs, Jamal Agnew

S: Glover Quinn, Miles Killebrew

S: Jamar Summers, Charles Washington

CB: *Nevin Lawson*, *D.J. Hayden*, Teez Tabor

Special Teams:
K: Matt Pratter
P: Sam Martin
LS: *Don Mulbach*

KR/PR: Jamal Agnew

Lions hire Mike Vrabel from the Texans as Head coach.

Lions retain Jim Bob Cooter as OC.

Lions hire Dom Capers as DC.

Lions hire Amos Jones from the Cardinals as STC.

There are four things that I can't get on board with here

1) Mo Wilkerson for $11M: Talented player that seems to have significant attitudinal issues. That's a hefty chunk of change for a guy that already has been a bit of a head case. I'd prefer to stay away from someone like that for that kind of money

2) Nick Chubb in the 2nd: We need a RB with a bit more power to his game. I just expect that Chubb's draft stock will take a bit of a hit after the NC game. Bama is as close to a pro caliber defense and Chubb had a heck of a time doing very much. I see him dropping another round or 2.

3) Dom Capers as DC: This was something I had thought of as well. I just don't see the connection and why this would work. Capers is more likely going to hang it up and retire before joining the Lions. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming in as a Defensive Assistant/Quality Control guy

4) Change of STC: We have one of the top ST units. I'd prefer not to change that if we can avoid it.

1. Fair point I guess, I just feel Wilkerson needs a change of scenery from the Jets and Todd Bowles.

2. Leonard Fournette had rough games against Alabama and no one said much about his draft stock. Again welcome to analyze things how you'd like but not many RB's have success in college against Alabama. It was a tough grind for him that game but I felt like most his run where right up the middle, sort of playing into Alabama's strength. Idk, he had two tough games this year, The NC game and earlier against Auburn. Had great games against Oklahoma/Auburn rematch, did well against ND. An basically mopped the competition beyond Auburn/Alabama. I'm not going to hold one or two games against a RB for an entire season.

3. I was just looking for a guy/coach with experience in the league, winning, playoffs, and he's won a championship to boot. I thought he'd be a good veteran guy to have on the staff. Everyone knows whoever is hired will basically be installing Vrabels defense.

4. Fair point again, just uncertainty there now so I went and got a good one, who is also technically not fired yet either but shrouded in uncertainy, from Arizona. I'd be fine sticking with Joe Marciano.  

38 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

1. Fair point I guess, I just feel Wilkerson needs a change of scenery from the Jets and Todd Bowles.

2. Leonard Fournette had rough games against Alabama and no one said much about his draft stock. Again welcome to analyze things how you'd like but not many RB's have success in college against Alabama. It was a tough grind for him that game but I felt like most his run where right up the middle, sort of playing into Alabama's strength. Idk, he had two tough games this year, The NC game and earlier against Auburn. Had great games against Oklahoma/Auburn rematch, did well against ND. An basically mopped the competition beyond Auburn/Alabama. I'm not going to hold one or two games against a RB for an entire season.

3. I was just looking for a guy/coach with experience in the league, winning, playoffs, and he's won a championship to boot. I thought he'd be a good veteran guy to have on the staff. Everyone knows whoever is hired will basically be installing Vrabels defense.

4. Fair point again, just uncertainty there now so I went and got a good one, who is also technically not fired yet either but shrouded in uncertainy, from Arizona. I'd be fine sticking with Joe Marciano.  

1) I definitely get it. I'd prefer to pay Ansah that kind of money if we had to pay a guy like that. He's not the headache Wilkerson seems to be.

2) Can't disagree with you. I'm just not fond of spending a 2nd round pick on a RB unless it was maybe Guice.

3) I had similar thoughts but looked into it a bit more.

This is all pretty good but why cut Dahl? I feel like he's shown enough to be kept around as a backup.

If your'e signing Bodine to be the starting center then I don't think you draft Nelson, who probably won't be there at 20 anyway. Ok well maybe if Nelson fell to 20 you'd do it anyway, but I doubt that happens. Anyway, the RB position remains weak in this mock. I feel like going into this camp, whoever they draft or sign, along with Riddick, will be the RB's that will stick and everyone else will fight for whatever spots are left. Abdullah, Green, anyone else are likely to be gone. The Lions might even take more than one in the draft. In this mock I'd prefer a first round RB like Guice.

This is a pretty good look at what a serious defensive overhaul under a new coach might look like.

Those first three rounds would be fantastic, although they seem to be very unrealistic. Nelson should be a top 5 draft pick and Chubb really shouldn't make it out of the first round. Would absolutely love those first two days of the draft though.

I don't understand why they would cut Joe Dahl. Cutting him really wouldn't save money and at least Dahl has some potential as a backup at multiple positions. I also can't get on board with that Bodine contract. He has been legitimately bad for the Bengals. There are quite a few good centers available in free agency or they could roll with Graham Glasgow at that spot. Glasgow was very underwhelming at guard but has been much better when he has played center.

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

2) Nick Chubb in the 2nd: We need a RB with a bit more power to his game.

Nick Chubb has plenty of power and his balance is at an elite level. The Lions would be lucky to add someone like Chubb.

nick-chubb.gif

giphy.0.gif

NFL teams won't drop him because Georgia failed to properly incorporate their run game against Alabama. They have years of tape of him running over, around, through, and past players that went on to play in the NFL.

14 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Those first three rounds would be fantastic, although they seem to be very unrealistic. Nelson should be a top 5 draft pick and Chubb really shouldn't make it out of the first round. Would absolutely love those first two days of the draft though.

I don't understand why they would cut Joe Dahl. Cutting him really wouldn't save money and at least Dahl has some potential as a backup at multiple positions. I also can't get on board with that Bodine contract. He has been legitimately bad for the Bengals. There are quite a few good centers available in free agency or they could roll with Graham Glasgow at that spot. Glasgow was very underwhelming at guard but has been much better when he has played center.

First round for a two down player??

48 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

First round for a two down player??

I don't agree with this. He's a great runner, and like all kids from college he can work on blocking to sell his screen game a bit. Even if he is just a two down back, Lions have two 3rd down backs for relief anyways. Chubb could make Abdullah a lot better being a back up.

19 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I could get on board with this... my only issue is DC. im starting want Greg Schiano as our DC.

What!?!? The dude who covered up for Jerry Sandusky and ran out of TB because he treated players poorly? NO WAY! I don't care if he's the greatest DC ever.

15 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Those are good suggestions, It's a lot better football sense/business sense to not sign Bodine, allow Glasgow to start at C, and let Joe Dahl pick a position to back up along the line. Saves a ton of money and Glasgow is prolly like you said every bit as good as Bodine, probably better.

38 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

I'm guessing you think Nick Chubb can't catch the football huh

I'm sure he can catch a fb..

Is it dynamic enough to warrant a first rd pick??

Is his blocking?

His injury?

His ability to get outside?

He's a good runner between the Ts but it is not first rd worthy imo.. a first or even a second rd rb for this team is a mistake imo especially this draft and for what this team is..its silly imo

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

I'm sure he can catch a fb..

Is it dynamic enough to warrant a first rd pick??

Is his blocking?

His injury?

His ability to get outside?

He's a good runner between the Ts but it is not first rd worthy imo.. a first or even a second rd rb for this team is a mistake imo especially this draft and for what this team is..its silly imo

He's more than fine as a receiver, when you have a guy like Theo Riddick on your team the other RB's don't have to be "dynamic" receivers out of the backfield. He's got the size to be a fine blocker. He's healed from his injury, he was back to squatting 600+ a year after the injury. His ability to "get outside" is more than fine, he's broken more than his fair share of outside runs at Georgia for long gains. Chubb is a great player and he would be getting hype as a top 15 pick if this draft didn't already have two other really special backs in Barkley and Guice.

Archived