The Bart Starr Endorsement Letter for Jerry Kramer

Bob Fox

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not that I agree, but there was also talk of people getting tired of all the Packers enshrined from those teams. Again, I don't agree, and don't think it should apply to arguably one of the best at his position ever, but that kind of pushback wouldn't surprise me

I think you make an important point.  Jerry, if enshrined, should be so because of his entire body of work in his career, and not only because he was an important part of their success during that era.  Someone much wiser than me could probably provide some career statistics for Jerry to make a compelling case, aside from the team’s overall success.  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Leader said:

Hey wait.......Cooters.....not taking anything away from Bob's post....but have you checked out some of my stuff? LOL

I'm not sure, is there something in particular you'd like me to check out? I'm always open to new and good material. 

7 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I'm not sure, is there something in particular you'd like me to check out? I'm always open to new and good material. 

I was kidding. Bob's stuff is always more factual than mine. He actually knows of what he writes :)

On 1/21/2018 at 12:11 PM, cannondale said:

Not that I agree, but there was also talk of people getting tired of all the Packers enshrined from those teams. Again, I don't agree, and don't think it should apply to arguably one of the best at his position ever, but that kind of pushback wouldn't surprise me

That is it above. Many HOF players from that era of Packer football. Feelings that there were too many players from those teams worked against Kramer. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Sasquatch said:

I think you make an important point.  Jerry, if enshrined, should be so because of his entire body of work in his career, and not only because he was an important part of their success during that era.  Someone much wiser than me could probably provide some career statistics for Jerry to make a compelling case, aside from the team’s overall success.  

He was on the All-Decade team. 

Jerry Kramer was on the Bob and Brian show Friday morning (local Milwaukee AM show).  Great segment.  I never realized how much tougher people were back then.  I did not know he had so many severe physical issues during his playing tenure.  He mentioned something like 26 procedures during his lifetime.  When he was 16 working on the family farm a calf kicked him into a pile of wood which drove several pieces into his body.  He said that doctors removed a 7 inch piece of wood among others that day.  Later during his playing days, circa 1962, he went into the hospital to have a tumor removed from his colon.  During the colostomy procedure they found two additional pieces of wood, 3 inch and 1.5 inch, that the last doctor had missed.  He had his ankle slowly screwed back together from what sounded to be hardware you could get at Menards. 

On the Hall of Fame: "I hear that when your inducted David Baker, president of the Hall of Fame, knocks on your hotel room door, gives you your jacket and welcome hug.  When you're not inducted, the janitor knocks on your hotel room door and tells you to get out."

On Lombardi: He called everyone mister.  'Hey Mister, how's it going' is how he'd greet you. During Bears week he'd tell everyone that Halas had spies all around the practice facility. He'd even put Starr in a #78 jersey.  Imagine someone telling Halas "They got some takle taking snaps for Starr".

On Halas:  He was the coach during one of Kramer's pro-bowls.  They were taking a bus down to Florida where Halas handed out the playbook for the game.  Typically you'd run the offense and defense of that coach's team.  Instead Kramer opened the playbook to find it was the entire Green Bay playbook, completely correct.  It even had the signals that they would use.  Kramer looked up at Halas and Halas said to him, "We figured it would take you Green Bay boys a while to catch on, so we figured we'd just use your playbook instead."

All in all he seemed like a great guy.  I hope he gets in.

"This is Jerry Kramer’s last chance for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The 82-year-old former Green Bay Packers guard has been a finalist in the Hall voting 10 previous times, and 10 times he has failed to get in"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/31/dougherty-its-now-never-jerry-kramers-hall-fame-hopes/1083217001/

EDIT: On February 3 (the day before Super Bowl LII), the 48-person selection committee will vote on the Class of 2018 for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Archived