Andre Smith works as 2nd RT, Trey Hopkins 1st RG

theJ

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Probably a whole bunch of nothing, but noteworthy nonetheless. It at least means Hopkins is going to be first man up in case of injury. 

I don't think it even means that.  it just means Hopkins got first crack at playing time against Geno.  And it was in shorts.  Westerman no doubt gets a couple of shots at it too.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't think it even means that.  it just means Hopkins got first crack at playing time against Geno.  And it was in shorts.  Westerman no doubt gets a couple of shots at it too.

It at least means they think he's going to be the first man up.  Lots of time to change that mind set though.

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Word on the street is Fisher is struggling with his physicality at the point of attack and is ending up on the ground a lot 

That's awesome.  Great.

3 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

According to the BBP Podcast, the team has always been high on Hopkins. It wouldn't shock me to see him get a legit chance to play this year 

I don't think i've listened to that one yet.  Sometime this week i'll get to it.

12 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

It's solid. Once a week bengals info. Interviews and stuff during season. They spew some team bs but also call them out on some stuff as well. 

Oh I listen to that podcast, I just haven't gotten to that specific one. 

I'm half and half on this move.

Maybe there only doing this because Smith has never played OG in the NFL, and wanted to get him back in the grove first since he was injured last year. Add to the fact that Smith won't likely be able to start all 16 games this year, they need to give more reps to some of the other guys, especially considering a guy like Hopkins is trying to prove he belongs on the 53 man roster, so it makes sense.

My only issue with this move is like I stated earlier, Smith has no OG experience. Therefore he needs to be spending more time learning that position, so that's the only negative impact I see here.

8 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

My only issue with this move is like I stated earlier, Smith has no OG experience. Therefore he needs to be spending more time learning that position, so that's the only negative impact I see here.

Yeah that was my thought as well.  Tells me the coaching staff isn't 100% behind the idea of Smith, and would like to know their backup options in case he underwhelms or gets hurt.  To my knowledge, they haven't been doing this with Fisher or Ced.  Or it just hasn't been reported.

14 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I closed the window without thinking, but there was a video of Westerman (i think it was him) putting Geno on the ground yesterday.  If i get some time later, i'll dig it back up.

Archived