2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Let Robinson sign with Chicago.

Let Graham go back to NO.

Let Watkins sign with any team willing to give him big dollars.

It would be nice seeing those players in green and gold but all that offense won't matter when you can't stop anyone on defense. I'm done watching this team play Texas Tech-style football and trying to outscore the opponent. I don't mind improving our offense but do it by signing some of the middle or lower tier FAs.

We need defense. We need it badly. Give me some of those FAs.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Would you feel the same about Gute if he “trades” Matthews, as opposed to just outright cuts him?  Personally, I’m done with Clay, and he’s one of my favorite players.  He can’t stay healthy,

Matthews has missed 9 games in the last four years. 
Justin Houston has missed 17 games in the last four years.

and when he’s playing, he’s usually seen overpersuing, whiffing on tackles, or getting called out by jagoffs like Cam Newton.

Picard-facepalm-animated.gif

What the hell do you even mean he got called out by Newton?  Matthews called out a route he thought the Panthers were going to run after they had been using it all day.  It was pretty damn close to the right play, and Newton still scored a touchdown throwing it.  What the hell do you expect Matthews to do when he's rushing the passer and nobody can cover?  Matthews got called out?  Bull damn crap  That kind of stuff happens on literally every single play in the NFL.  The only reason you think you heard what you didn't actually hear is because the mics happened to pick that up.  Don't know how you can be so critical of literally our fourth best defensive player last year that you can twist the fact into believing that Matthews, a pass rusher, calling a route when he's rushing the passer is somehow him getting called out by Newton.  But I've come to expect that kind of backwards, twisted logic in the Matthews hate that goes on here. 

Whiffing on tackles has probably happened 10 times in his career.  It happens.  Happens to the best of them.  Most of the times it's when he's not blocked, and they look bad, but it's probably happened 10 times in his career and it's you remembering that and getting it into your head that he whiffs on a regular basis.  There Broncos fans who didn't think Von Miller would be worth his second contract.  Fans learn to dislike their best because they want different.  That's all this is.

Over pursuing?  I assume you mean when he goes past the QB on a rush?  What if I told you that sometimes offensive linemen beat the pass rusher in this sport significantly more often than the other way around and that you and everyone else here expect too much out of Matthews? 

He just had 7.5 sacks in 14 games while having the second worst secondary in the NFL according to passer rating in the NFL. 

Von Miller just had 10 sacks in 16 games when his secondary was 20th. 
Justin Houston just had 9.5 sacks in 15 games when his defense was 11th. 

I'd tell you that they're directly related, but you and everyone else here would be too busy expecting 26-year-old Clay Matthews with 2010 secondary because you refuse to pay attention to perspective. 

He's not worth his contract?  Not even close?  Yes the hell he is because there's literally NOBODY we could get that's as good as him OR (not and) but OR as cheap as him.  Pass rushers do NOT grow on trees, and if he was to be released, he would easily be THE most sought after pass rusher in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Of all the divisions in all of football why did Arob have to come to the NFC North!?!?

Because the Bears are a bad franchise that overvalues the WR position, especially tall receivers, while neglecting more important positions and spends money where they shouldn't instead of where they should.

While Robinson was my dream signing, I knew it would be a steep climb. Im not interested in Watkins for $12+ million either. I'd rather get Moncreif and Graham, then focus on defense. Heck, even just Graham plus a top CB would be a HUGE FA for GB, and maybe Wilk picks us as well.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

We're all entitled to our opinions but I think a 24 Year old Robinson is far more beneficial then a 31 Year old Jimmy Graham. That's just me though. I know I used their ages but that's not why I say that it's just a small part of the reason.

I was thinking more short term, and with our current receivers/TEs we have signed. When it comes down to it, I just really want this offense to have a consistent threat at TE. 

Cool.  So the only thing that's changed is now Gute lets his interest be known.  Does this mean that people will finally understand that players DO NOT want to sign a contract with a team that plays in Green Bay, Wisconsin? 

Because Sammy Watkins just picked the Chiefs, who have one entire start at QB, instead of Green Bay, who has a first ballot Hall of Fame QB who is currently the best in the game. 

Edit: 16 million factors in, too.  lol.  You funny, Kansas City. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Dammn...KC giving Sammy  $16 mil per year? No thanks. Guy is worth half that.

Damn. We're not far away from our first 20M per WR. Wonder who will break that barrier......
(Ridiculous IMO)

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Cool.  So the only thing that's changed is now Gute lets his interest be known.  Does this mean that people will finally understand that players DO NOT want to sign a contract with a team that plays in Green Bay, Wisconsin? 

Because Sammy Watkins just picked the Chiefs, who have one entire start at QB, instead of Green Bay, who has a first ballot Hall of Fame QB who is currently the best in the game. 

It has nothing to do with location..its about money. If GB offered Watkins or Robinson $16 million a year, they'd both be playing in GB next year. 

Don't know why we were showing interest in them anyway.  I'm gonna go ahead and call Gute an idiot at this point. 

Rollins and King at corner, both coming off major injuries and surgeries.  Let's go after receivers. 

At this point, Gute is an idiot. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

It has nothing to do with location..its about money. If GB offered Watkins or Robinson $16 million a year, they'd both be playing in GB next year. 

This isn't true, and deep down you know it.  Offers being equal, nobody is picking Green Bay over any team except maybe the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This isn't true, and deep down you know it.  Offers being equal, nobody is picking Green Bay over any team except maybe the Bills. 

That's a fallacy created by Ted followers to perpetuate the excuse for why he failed miserably in FA year after year. Remember...Gute has $20 million right now to play with BECAUSE of TT. 

Gute will make us players in week 1 of FA, but hes not a moron about to pay Sammy Watkins $16 million a year. That's almost worse than Cobb's current contract.

Archived