OL a bigger need than you think

dawgpound1816

With JT possibly 50/50 on the outs?

JC Tretter contract can be bought out in the next 4 weeks, or has 2 years remaining. 

RT is still up in the air and needs to be addressed. 

Drango has 2 years left, and is serviceable depth.

Both OG positions are the only sure things the Browns have. 

Is now the time to bring in the likes of a Q.Nelson, B.Price and others to build strength, youth and depth early in the draft?

4 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

With JT possibly 50/50 on the outs?

JC Tretter contract can be bought out in the next 4 weeks, or has 2 years remaining. 

RT is still up in the air and needs to be addressed. 

Drango has 2 years left, and is serviceable depth.

Both OG positions are the only sure things the Browns have. 

Is now the time to bring in the likes of a Q.Nelson, B.Price and others to build strength, youth and depth early in the draft?

If they are BPAs when we pick them, I have no problem with it at all.

The so-called strength of our OL is indeed an illusion.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Everybody and their brothers drool over what Zeke and Dak meant to DAL's 2016 success, but it was DAL's dominating OL that made Zeke and Dak as effective as they were.

So you are stating how important the Oline is, but also stating you ONLY want to draft Oline if they are BPA?

I would tend to agree that we should draft at least 1 olineman early, as in the 2nd round or late 1st in a trade up.  

5 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I've heard Nelson referred to as the best OL since 2000.

Watching his tape and the few ND games I saw on tv, that might not be a reach. He's flawless and dominant in every aspect of playing Guard.

How many games does having a dominant guard win you?

Who are the 4 starting guards for NE and PHI, no Google?

14 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

So you are stating how important the Oline is, but also stating you ONLY want to draft Oline if they are BPA?

Yup.

Likely, imho, that there will be other players at positions of need when we pick who are BPA. (e.g., DB).

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How many games does having a dominant guard win you?

Who are the 4 starting guards for NE and PHI, no Google?

I know the Pats Guards because I'm a Brady fan and follow that team only second to the Browns in terms of watching every snap. Thuney and Mason.

That's a bit of a disingenuous argument though imo, they have the best quarterback to ever play.

Who are the linemen, linebackers, corners and safeties for the Pats? They were all, apart from Gilmore who struggled at times himself, average to below average defenders this year. Pats still made the SB. It doesn't mean we shouldn't look at those positions.

Quenton Nelson is an incredible prospect. I'm not saying we take him at 4. My initial comment in the other thread was that I'd love to see us find a way to grab him if he falls into the teens. I stand by that, he's a beast and is a one-man wrecking crew. He's routinely blowing up defenders, chucking them into the dirt 5-10 yards downfield and creating lanes that you could drive a bus through. And he's a great pass protector too.

Best Guard in the league for 10-15 years would be more than fine by me.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t mind 2nd round or lower as we’ve got a million picks, but I’ll flip if we spend a top 4 pick on a damned G.

And I L-O-V-E Nelson as a prospect.

I'm inclined to agree, top 4 pick on a Guard feels like something this Browns team can't afford to do. Though there are worse things than getting a perennial All-Pro lineman. I understand Nelson is not necessarily guaranteed to be that however, even if I think he will be.

I'd make a move sooner than Round 2, if we could trade up from 33 without giving up the farm. Don't know how possible that will be, it would likely require a bigger fall for Nelson than I envision.

I truly believe Billy Price will make it to #33. Is that too high for Tretters successor?  I like Price, and would love to have him between Zeitler & Bitonio. 

Speaking of Bitonio and his athleticism, is he capable of playing RT "IF" the Browns deem Nelson the pick at 4?

If the Browns choose to take a Qb early, his best friends are the guys protecting him 1st. It would be imperative to protect your investments. 

It's very possible the Browns 1st 4 picks could be all offense. 2 OL, 1 Qb & 1 RB. 

I feel defense will be the focus of FA.

8 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I know the Pats Guards because I'm a Brady fan and follow that team only second to the Browns in terms of watching every snap. Thuney and Mason.

That's a bit of a disingenuous argument though imo, they have the best quarterback to ever play.

Who are the linemen, linebackers, corners and safeties for the Pats? They were all, apart from Gilmore who struggled at times himself, average to below average defenders this year. Pats still made the SB. It doesn't mean we shouldn't look at those positions.

Quenton Nelson is an incredible prospect. I'm not saying we take him at 4. My initial comment in the other thread was that I'd love to see us find a way to grab him if he falls into the teens. I stand by that, he's a beast and is a one-man wrecking crew. He's routinely blowing up defenders, chucking them into the dirt 5-10 yards downfield and creating lanes that you could drive a bus through. And he's a great pass protector too.

Best Guard in the league for 10-15 years would be more than fine by me.

I just think there are certain positions where having an outstanding player can greatly impact wins on a regular basis.  We all know what those are, they’re the guys who get the big contracts.  I wouldn’t even hate it if we still had Greco and other nobodies of years past at G, but we already have arguably the best pair of guards in the league, definitely the highest paid.  Even if Nelson is the best G in the game, how much does that incremental improvement from either of our current players impact the W/L column?

Teens, via trade back for some incredible haul of picks over the next 3 drafts, sure, sign me up. I’d crap myself if he makes it to the teens though.

I’m just skeptical Dorsey moves back, mostly because that’s what the guys before “who didn’t draft real football players” did.

I’m confident we’ll get a call from a team wanting to jump Denver and/or NYJ for a QB, but I’m not sure they'll be open to it. 

Archived