Unique League Ideas

chisoxguy7

There are plenty of tried and true fantasy football league rule settings/types -- PPR, .5 PPR, IDP, Dynasty, Keeper, etc.

But what are some unique league ideas that you have had?

I have had 2:

1. League where you receive positive points for "negative" football plays--QBs throwing INTs, getting sacked, RBs fumbling, getting tackled for loss, WRs dropping balls, etc. D/ST units missing FGs and giving up a ton of yardage/points, etc. Your weekly matchup would still be about scoring as many points as possible, but the way you earn those points would be based on "bad" football.

2. League where each week there is a small redraft--for example, each team must nominate a RB, WR, and 2 other players from their previous week's starting lineup to go into the redraft pool. There would only be one "waiver period" each week following the 4 round redraft, and then all FAs lock. Only 2-3 bench spots per team. In the weekly redraft, the eligible pool would be all FAs, and all players put into the pool by their respective former teams. I think the roster churn would be kind of interesting and there would be a lot of strategy involved to having a team that was good for an entire season.

What are your thoughts on these ideas, and what other ideas do you have?

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

With the first pick in the bizarro fantasy draft, sammymvpknight selects: Ryan Fitzpatrick

I think that it’s a great idea. 

We did a league a few years ago where the top 100 or 150 (don't remember) players by ADP were not allowed to be drafted or rostered at any point of the season. It was a really fun league and required a good amount of NFL knowledge and some luck, too. 

• 2 months later...

Super deep leagues with creative scoring are the best way to do it. Once you're in a challenging league like this it's hard to do anything else. Best league I'm in is a 12 team, 40 man roster devy league. Minimum 10 players on the taxi squad but you can go over if you like, it just cuts into the number you can have on the active roster when you go over. It's a super flex, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, and 2 standard FLEX lineup. No kickers or defense because they're annoying. It's a PPR with TE's getting 1.5 per catch. RB's get 0.3 points per carry. So basically it puts a premium on having 2+ good QB's, having a handful of good RB's that get lots of carries, having at least 3 starting level WR's, and gives you the option to have 2 TE's because they have premium scoring as well.

5 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Super deep leagues with creative scoring are the best way to do it. Once you're in a challenging league like this it's hard to do anything else. Best league I'm in is a 12 team, 40 man roster devy league. Minimum 10 players on the taxi squad but you can go over if you like, it just cuts into the number you can have on the active roster when you go over. It's a super flex, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, and 2 standard FLEX lineup. No kickers or defense because they're annoying. It's a PPR with TE's getting 1.5 per catch. RB's get 0.3 points per carry. So basically it puts a premium on having 2+ good QB's, having a handful of good RB's that get lots of carries, having at least 3 starting level WR's, and gives you the option to have 2 TE's because they have premium scoring as well.

Sounds like a really fun league.  I'm a big fan of leagues that have large starting rosters.

Also like the idea of giving the TE position an uptick in PPR scoring. 

10 hours ago, USMC_PackFan said:

Sounds like a really fun league.  I'm a big fan of leagues that have large starting rosters.

Also like the idea of giving the TE position an uptick in PPR scoring. 

It's a hell of a fun league. I would start one like that on here if there were enough people willing to go that deep. Definitely need to be a hard core NFL & CFB fan to do well in a league like that. Have to know the best college players before they get mass attention, really have to evaluate incoming freshman as well.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

We did a league a few years ago where the top 100 or 150 (don't remember) players by ADP were not allowed to be drafted or rostered at any point of the season. It was a really fun league and required a good amount of NFL knowledge and some luck, too. 

Yup. This was the type of league that I was going to mention. Not sure if we were in the same league, but I know I won one that was started on here that was called the scrubs league. I actually really, really liked that league. You've never seen so many people try to pick up Brandon Lafell during the season LOL

Archived