2017-18 College Football Scouting (Page 2)

Bobby816

ijF76bg.png

This is just the first page of like 3 pages but this is how PFF broke down the adjusted completion percentage. Lamar's average does increase a lot but that is not the reason I don't like him as a prospect. He ran the ball more than he completed passes, I don't believe his body will be able to handle that type of workload in the NFL.

nkBKfaB.png

This doesn't tell the full story but it is a good stat to take into account when looking at all aspects. This doesn't differentiate between poor OL play and the QB holding the ball too long so those are things you'd need to watch tape to see.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:54 PM, doumeyer said:

THE VALUE OF A OFFENSIVE GUARD ????

In the last 24 years there has been only two guards drafted in the top seven overall picks in the first round.

Jonathan Ogden in 1996 who drafted as a guard but played O Tackle his whole career

Leo Davis  in 2001

This just shows you what GM's feel about the valve of a offensive guards

Thru this same period there has been two dozen Offensive tackles pick in the top seven picks. Over ten times more tackles than guards.

For a team like the Jets who are in dire need of skilled players, which we could get with our sixth pick in the draft, some of our Mock draft geniuses want to take a guard with our sixth overall pick. This is no knock against Nelson, but not for our six pick in the draft.

Nelson is also considered a once in a generation type talent at the position where all the LTs in this class are ranked all over the board. I would rather the generational talent for 10 years over taking a LT just to take one, especially when drafting the LT may not be an upgrade to the one we already have under contract. LT should be a 2019 pick IMO.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:54 PM, doumeyer said:

THE VALUE OF A OFFENSIVE GUARD ????

In the last 24 years there has been only two guards drafted in the top seven overall picks in the first round.

Jonathan Ogden in 1996 who drafted as a guard but played O Tackle his whole career

Leo Davis  in 2001

This just shows you what GM's feel about the valve of a offensive guards

Thru this same period there has been two dozen Offensive tackles pick in the top seven picks. Over ten times more tackles than guards.

For a team like the Jets who are in dire need of skilled players, which we could get with our sixth pick in the draft, some of our Mock draft geniuses want to take a guard with our sixth overall pick. This is no knock against Nelson, but not for our six pick in the draft.

Given the state of our o-line and how bad our team has been in finding o-line talent in the middle rounds, I wouldn't complain.

7 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

In that situation, if Mac really believes in BPA, Nelson should be the pick

I have a weird feeling if we get Cousins that Ridley will be higher on Maccs board than we think. Especially if we add a couple olineman in FA.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have a weird feeling if we get Cousins that Ridley will be higher on Maccs board than we think. Especially if we add a couple olineman in FA.

I think it's going to be D, but we'll find out.  Watch him take Minkah, he can't play CB, and they make him our third safety

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think it's going to be D, but we'll find out.  Watch him take Minkah, he can't play CB, and they make him our third safety

See I could see Minkah happening because the way the NFL is trending. Bowles had the Honey Badger who IMO plays a similar role to what Minkah would play. I also believe Minkah can play CB which is probably where we disagree. I am not advocating for him but there is a situation where I'd be okay with it.

Adams - Maye - Minkah as safeties

Claiborne - Adams - Minkah - 2018 FA as CBs

Teams are going away from the stud #1 receiver and moving to multiple weapons, it's not the same NFL like it was when Revis was in his prime so being able to play every position to dictate a matchup is huge. We are still shell shocked from Milliner and taking 2 safeties last year but if Kirk, Jensen, and Norwell come on board and Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are gone then I really would be okay with the pick if we can't trade back.

42 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

See I could see Minkah happening because the way the NFL is trending. Bowles had the Honey Badger who IMO plays a similar role to what Minkah would play. I also believe Minkah can play CB which is probably where we disagree. I am not advocating for him but there is a situation where I'd be okay with it.

Adams - Maye - Minkah as safeties

Claiborne - Adams - Minkah - 2018 FA as CBs

Teams are going away from the stud #1 receiver and moving to multiple weapons, it's not the same NFL like it was when Revis was in his prime so being able to play every position to dictate a matchup is huge. We are still shell shocked from Milliner and taking 2 safeties last year but if Kirk, Jensen, and Norwell come on board and Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson are gone then I really would be okay with the pick if we can't trade back.

I'm not saying Minkah can't play corner, but given that he basically never played on the outside, it makes me nervous.  He'd likely be comfortable in the slot.  I'd be cool getting a guy to play the Honey Badger role, I'd just rather sign a guy like that than spend that high of a pick on the guy.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm not saying Minkah can't play corner, but given that he basically never played on the outside, it makes me nervous.  He'd likely be comfortable in the slot.  I'd be cool getting a guy to play the Honey Badger role, I'd just rather sign a guy like that than spend that high of a pick on the guy.

That’s kinda my thoughts. You don’t draft a guy with the 6th pick and play him at a position he only has some experience at.

8 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

ijF76bg.png

This is just the first page of like 3 pages but this is how PFF broke down the adjusted completion percentage. Lamar's average does increase a lot but that is not the reason I don't like him as a prospect. He ran the ball more than he completed passes, I don't believe his body will be able to handle that type of workload in the NFL.

nkBKfaB.png

This doesn't tell the full story but it is a good stat to take into account when looking at all aspects. This doesn't differentiate between poor OL play and the QB holding the ball too long so those are things you'd need to watch tape to see.

Does it provide the split of inside and outside pockets for pressure pct?

About taking G in top 5,  Redskins did it with the 5th overall selection and he is playing RG.  That would be worse than having Nelson at LG at 6th.

Personally, I advise against taking G in top 15. I can't help with it. However,  none of skill players or blue chip prospects have stepped up into top 5 consideration then Jets have no choice but to take G.  That is why I pray more prospects show up at the combine and pro days. 

It is really not worth arguing whether or not taking G in top 10 when your team is low in talent.  Jets' last 2 draft class must step up and help team move forward among this year's draft class.

VT's DT/NT Tim Settle...  In pre-combine training, he managed to score 7.14 in 3 cone drill and 1.61 in 10 first split of 40 yard dash at weight of 325+.   Nice. However, I am not a fan of athletes who work hard to just shave down numbers at the combine. Need to study his film to ensure that he possesses the natural explosiveness and power as scouting circle suggested.

I know Bowles run 2 gap but Settle's explosiveness as middle of DL will help open space for Leonard and a future end to pressure QB. That will bring another question for him is his endurance. Occupying double team or triple team is brutal.

Archived