Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

What are the odds the Browns put a emphasis on mental makeup and ability to read/react to defenses when determining a QB. I dont care if you can throw a Hot Pocket over those mountains if you have zero idea how to decipher opposing defenses, read the coverages, adjust the protection, audible and throw an accurate pass to the correct WR.

Physical traits mean NOTHING if you dont have the mental ability to process information quickly and apply it on the field as a NFL QB. And Josh Allen was terrible at that

The NFL is littered with big, strong, powerful cannon arm QBs (Like Hackenberg, Kizer, Osweiler, Lynch, Bortles, Cardale, ect) who all suck because they do not have the mental side of football down to step on a field and read opposing defenses. If you want a big Paul Bunyan QB to develop as a QB3 then go grab one of those I mentioned off the scrap heap--dont invest the #1 overall pick on one.

Basically our pick at #1 should be whoever we deem as the least stupid and has the highest football IQ on the whiteboard in film sessions/visits. IMO they all have the physical traits/arm talent so it should come down to whoever they think can pick up the game from a Xs and Os standpoint in situational football.

4 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Wasn’t Dorsey at the Ohio State/USC game?  That would eliminate he not seeing Darnold in person. 

Was not talking about regular season...we all know they traveled to see the bowl game..Dorsey was asked about the regular season when he gave that response

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yo idk if I’m not reading this right 

but the man to Dorsey’s left is clearly Eliot Wolf

I actually don’t clearly see Scot in this picture at all 

but yeah we’re not drafting Baker Mayfield 

Come on man... clearly Josh norris meant the screen lockers left but to Dorsey's right... mistake of perspective taking...

Just now, Mind Character said:

We can only hope...Haley, Zampese, and Hue save us!

Just imagining this whole thing...feels like quite the tug-o-war. I mean, Haslam kinda has to be the middleman here, right? Do the coaches have to appease the front office or vice versa? Ultimately whoever is taken has to fit the coach's philosophy, I would think. We know Hue likes Baker, though. So maybe it's acceptable. This whole debate is a vicious cycle in my head...

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

The thing that struck me is Mind's other post about Darnold completely bombing the white board interview. That's bad. He wasn't wrong in mentioning Dorsey's stressing of how important those "X's and O's" are to him. If Darnold really did flunk the interview, that could throw a wedge in all of our beliefs.

Darnold didn't flunk or really bomb reportedly so much as he was going up against elite Quarterback mind's some with more football experience (Baker), forwhom put out a lights out performance on the blackboard...thus, he was going up against stiff competition with Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen...it is in comparison to them that he didn't wow on the whiteboard. Did he do terribly at the combine? Most corroborating sources say no...it wasnt terrible, but it was a notch below Baker and Rosen's X's and O's performance.

4 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Just imagining this whole thing...feels like quite the tug-o-war. I mean, Haslam kinda has to be the middleman here, right? Do the coaches have to appease the front office or vice versa? Ultimately whoever is taken has to fit the coach's philosophy, I would think. We know Hue likes Baker, though. So maybe it's acceptable. This whole debate is a vicious cycle in my head...

The wildest thing is... Jimmy Haslam might end up saving this thing... assuming the coaches make their case for Darnold and key FO guy's side with Baker...both report directly to Jimmy and Dee...the Manziel experience may have spurned Haslam enough to where he sides with the cleanest guy off the field.., or maybe Dee is the voice of reason who decides the consensus in the NFL community is that if we don't go Darnold then we're crazy .....so we go Darnold...

Who knows how it will shake out.... I'd think Dorsey has the power as Haslam knows he might fire Hue and John is more of a long term partner in this thing, or maybe Jimmy and Dee still believe in Hue... a lot of craziness.. soon we'll know... although I have a bad feeling about what way it will go...maybe something happens between now and then that makes Darnold the clear choice... (Baker gets caught drinking and being publicly intoxicated...)

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Darnold didn't flunk or really bomb reportedly so much as he was going up against elite Quarterback mind's some with more football experience (Baker), forwhom put out a lights out performance on the blackboard...thus, he was going up against stiff competition with Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen...it is in comparison to them that he didn't wow on the whiteboard. Did he do terribly at the combine? Most corroborating sources say no...it wasnt terrible, but it was a notch below Baker and Rosen's X's and O's performance.

Sigh...Yeah. Sadly, that sounds plenty believable. Question is, do Dorsey and co. think it can be improved to their levels? We know Darnold has the ability to read and dissect defenses, but at an elite level? Baker has three years of experience on him, and Rosen is just a prodigy. In terms of sheer performance on the field though, I just think there's so much more upside from Darnold, and that should have the biggest say, shouldn't it? If the interview is even remotely close in potential, I would think it should.

This is gonna give me nightmares...

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Sigh...Yeah. Sadly, that sounds plenty believable. Question is, do Dorsey and co. think it can be improved to their levels? We know Darnold has the ability to read and dissect defenses, but at an elite level? Baker has three years of experience on him, and Rosen is just a prodigy. In terms of sheer performance on the field though, I just think there's so much more upside from Darnold, and that should have the biggest say, shouldn't it? If the interview is even remotely close in potential, I would think it should.

This is gonna give me nightmares...

giphy.gif

LOL...when your number 1 guy (Baker) is number 1 on the whiteboard why project out how good the number 3 guy on the whiteboard (Darnold) is going to be. Point is they havetheir guy...we'll see if they win out..

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

LOL...when your number 1 guy (Baker) is number 1 on the whiteboard why project out how good the number 3 guy on the whiteboard (Darnold) is going to be. Point is they havetheir guy...we'll see if they win out..

So you gonna lay down a bet on Mayfield? Have you seen those Vegas odds dude? Sheeeesh. You could prolly buy the Browns if you bet a couple thoww

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

So you gonna lay down a bet on Mayfield? Have you seen those Vegas odds dude? Sheeeesh. You could prolly buy the Browns if you bet a couple thoww

LOL... I wish... if I knew that the decision was exclusively left up to Dorsey and his key FO's guys, I'd make a significant bet in a heartbeat, but there is so much uncertainty regarding how much say or value or power do the coaches, and other personnel guys have in the eyes of the Haslams? If the answer is "a lot" then I'd still hold out the faith that Darnold can be the guy. Without knowing that element I can't in good faith make a large bet as I'm not swimming in it... I did make a small affordable bet of $50 on Mayfield going 1... and I honestly hope I never see that 50 ever again...

Browns are 11-1 to win the division.  Crazily, I might put something on that.  

Darnold the favorite to be the #1 at -220.  Mayfield was part of the "field" bet, lol.  Josh Allen +140, scary.  Lot of dopes out there believing the misleading hype machine.  

Archived