Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

Image result for quiet heavy dreams album cover

Zach Bryan-Quiet, Heavy Dreams, I enjoyed Bryan's first foray into country music in 2019 but it needed a producer and some instruments and direction. It was a great introduction to what Bryan could do, but the potential for more was there. He released a twenty song album in May that I gave half a listen because it was more of the same and it was just so damn long. Quiet, Heave Dreams was released in November and as soon as I put on Let You Down, I heard Bryan, but with a band. Its still acoustic but its actually sonically different. A studio with instruments took a guy with potential, to a guy that is at the top of the genre. These songs and arrangements are just rough enough with just the perfect amount of kiss production wise. Double murder ballads. There is a reason this guy has ascended to the top of the independent genre with no backing. I cannot recommend this album enough. Its the best of the year no matter the length.(49/50)

I first started with over 90 albums saved for 2020 but there wasnt any way I could get to that many. Im at 59 for the year and I might try to spotlight a couple live albums or novelty albums after. Maybe.

59.Morgan Myles-Therapy, I really like Myles voice and have enjoyed some of her previous releases. In this album, she took her versatile voice and made a pop album. That itself isnt bad since I think she could crush a country pop sound. This is a pure pop album without almost no country sounds. The production also drowns out her voice and the use of backup singers in multiple songs made no sense either.(10/100)

58.Brett Kissel-Now or Never, We get some good music out of Canada, but we also get some very bad music from the country. Some of their bigger artists like to push the boundaries to the pop element even further, and thats what we have here with Now or Never. This album is a Thomas Rhett album on steroids. Its walls and walls of pop production with just enough country sounding sounds to claim its a country record.(13/100)

57.Garth Brooks-Fun, Garth Brooks has become a characture of himself when it comes to album releases. Its the same tired formula that he has pushed out with his last few albums. This album ramps up the Garth healing the world. He has three songs on this album that revolve around him wanting the world to change. Its a great sentiment, but with the way Garth pushes it, and doubling down on it with the album, it doesnt seem genuine.(16/100)

56.Chase Rice-The Album, I combined his Album Pt. 1 and Pt 2 released into one album, since that seems the intention. Chase Rice is making the music he wants to since he is now producing his own music, but its a double downed version of the sound we got when he was on a major label, and after he said he was going to start making music that was more true to himself a couple years ago. Bad writing is the main culprit here. Rice's writing is stuck in the middle of the bro country era that first made him a star, and its not new and not fresh.(17/100)

55.Russell DIckerson-Southern Symphony, Snap tracks, reverb, and boyfriend country. That is this album. Its typical of the era we are in. Most of the album is nothing but paint by number love songs that are prevalent in country radio now. He has his bro country throwback collaboration with Florida Georgia Line to change things up, and its as good as it sounds. There is no soul in this album. Its nothing but Music Row dribble.(17/100)

54.Dustin Lynch-Tullahoma, Back roads. Ridin' roads. Tailgates. Cliches. Its not my original thought, but it doesnt take but one listen to this album to hear that every song is the same. Its all about taking a woman back on some back roads and making love to the moonlight. Thats it. Thats what you hear in almost every song. This album is in front of others because I wont lie, I can jam to Mamma's House. I dont know why, but when I hear it, I dont hit the next button.(21/100)

53.The Cadillac Three-Tabasco & Sweet Tea, The trio released Country Fuzz in February of 2020, so them to release another full album just eight months later in October smelled like a corona album. Meaning, this is an album that wouldnt normally be released if COVID did not impact the world. That is 100% what is is, and it is bad...coming from a TC3 fan. First I need to talk about the call and response that is almost in every song. Jaren, the lead singer, will sing something, and then the other two members will shout back parts of what Jaren said. It can be a great added dimension to a song, but not to almost every single song on the album. Too many "cool references." Skynyrd. Fishin' in the Dark, weed repeatedly, Buc-ee's. Its never ending. This did not work at all.(23/100)

52.The Lone Bellow-Half Moon Light, I feel like all traces of the almost acoustic vocal trio that released their first album in 2013 is gone. I know groups evolve and bring in new sounds, but there is no intimacy left here. The sounds has moves so far to a different sound that I would not call them Americana or country adjacent anymore. To make it worse, it doesnt even seem like a trio anymore. This sounds like three different individuals pushed together to make an album together. I dont hear the chemistry anymore.(30/100)

51.Tyler Rich-Two Thousand Miles, After signing a major record deal, I was hoping that Rich's sound would morph into something like what the group Gone West sounds like. A little country but it still has that west coast breezy pop flavor. Rich's first full album sounds like the record label is pushing him hard towards the lucrative boyfriend country. By doing this, we are missing this playfulness that Tyler has with his voice. We have walls of sound where you cant hear any inflections in a singers voice. The sound is almost so loud at times, you cant hear Rich's voice clearly. Im posting a acoustic version of Leave Her Wild below. The song actually breathes, and while its not perfect, it showcases his talent and what sound he can bring. Then listen to the album version.(34/100)

50.Gabby Barrett-Goldmine, If you get past all the sounds being thrown at you throughout this album, you hear a great voice coming from Barrett. She is one of the most talented singers to show up in Nashville in the past few years. The problem with this album isn't her voice. Its not really the lyrics either. She co-wrote all but one song on the album, and she has a clear voice with her writing. The problems are the production. It takes all emotion out of the songs. No intimacy at all.(40/100)

49.Kip Moore-Wild World, Kip Moore has been able to enjoy sustained success in country music not by huge hits, but by doing things his way and from a passionate fan base that love Moore's outlaw like ways and his rockin' style. If I hadn't heard over and over that Moore does things his way when it comes to his music, I would have sworn that his new album Wild World was just another mass produced Music Row product. The writing is shallow. The songs are too loud. This isn't the album from an outlaw rocker doing things his own way. This is an album from a man trying to get paid.(49/100)

48.Hayden Haddock-Red Dirt Texas, Haddock is another newcomer to the Texas scene that I stumbled upon this year. Red Dirt Texas is his first full length album, and while there are moments of excellence, they are foo few and far between. Haddock needs more seasoning. He is a young kid in college just starting his way. You can hear the influence of Cody Johnson on this album. Hayden must be a huge fan because you can hear Johnson's impact on this album. There is some talent here, and Haddock is worth following to see him grow in his music.(51/100)

47.Kenny Chesney-Here and Now, Guys Named Captain is the last song you hear on Chesney's new album. Before even listening to the song, you know its Chesney's wheelhouse because of the title. This song is proof that you can continue who you are over decades and still put out music that sounds fresh and relevant. The song paints a picture of real people, not glossed over caricatures that we hear from so much music now. The song shows that Kenny can still knock it out of the park after decades in the business. The rest of the album doesn't do it for me. The rest of the songs sound like copies of past songs that he has released.(53/100)

46.Carson Jeffrey-Heart of this Man, I had positive reactions to a few releases of Jeffrey's debut release in 2019, but I never got around to listening to the whole album. He released his follow up back in October, and its one that is difficult to rate. I like his voice. I can hear glimpses of some good stuff. A clever lyric here. A good hook there. A few rockin' guitar riffs. I think Carson is another guy that just needs more experience. More experience writing. More experience performing. More experience in the studio. He has a sound that I like and I think he has some good music ahead.(54/100)

45.Sam Hunt-SOUTHSIDE, I will never hide my love for Hunt's music. Ive been a fan since day one. I also hate parts of Sam's music. The one big takeaway from this album is that I never thought I would say that you can give too many personal details in your music. His relationship with his now wife is well known. His cheating. Her leaving him. Them getting back together. The heartbreak is all clearly detailed on this album. There are other songs on the album as well, and Hunt does what we expect. Hip hop beats mixed with country instruments and him talking full verses in songs. I expected more, but he did give us 2016. A glimmer of what we could get from a uber talented artist.(55/100)

44.Gabe Lee-Honky Tonk Hell, I have heard the name Gabe Lee for most of 2020 from the country critics that I consume. Hearing praises about his new album is how I was introduced to him. I got around to listening to the album, and its one where I can in places where people would love this album, but it never clicked to me. This was one of the most listened to albums for me during the rating process, but I just dont see the appeal. I think its his voice. Its too whiny. On the first track Honky Tonk Hell, he calls out Nashville with the lyric "for writin' phony-*** country songs." Its supposed to be a dig but with his voice, it sounds ridiculous and holds no weight.(56/100)

43.Ruston Kelly-Shape & Destroy, Kelly is a guy that has really turned his life around. He has gotten clean from a pretty bad drug addiction. He was married to Kacey Musgraves, and he is having musical success. All of this leads to happiness. Happiness is great. Everyone deserves it...but it doesn't always lead to good music. In Kelly's previous releases, his music was dark. Kelly wrote about his real life issues. He quickly became one of my favorite artists. His new album is more upbeat and hopeful, which describes Kelly now. Its not captivating music. Its less specific and written more for the masses. There are a lot of guys in Nashville and all over writing music like this. Kelly is no longer unique with this album.(56/100)

42.Clint Black-Out of Sane, After five years, country legend Clint Black releases his latest full length album. If you are a Black fan, you will recognize the sound and perspective that made you follow him way back when. If Clint Black isn't your thing, this album will not move the needle. There isn't anything groundbreaking about the album. Black doesnt try to go out of his comfort zone with new sounds or tackling new issues. It has a pleasant sound but its something that will be quickly forgotten.(58/100)

41.The Cadillac Three-Country Fuzz, I'm not sure if I ever really gave this album a chance. I didn't love the songs released before the album came out, and anything with Chris Jansen attached is going to get a quick and hard NO! from me. The album was released in the middle of last February right before things hit the fan, and it kind of just fell through the cracks, and that really sucks because TC3 will always be one of my favorite artists, but this will kind of always be a what if. There does need to be more variety in the writing. Partying has overtaken all other tropes that we normally hear from the band, and being one dimension is boring.(60/100)

40.Kody West-Overgrown, The Texas scene has been great for the country and rock fusion. Both types of music blend well together, and we have seen a number of rock influenced artists to show up on the country scene and Kody West is one of the best. Kody is versatile. He can play more traditional country music, but his sound has morphed into a 2000s hybrid. His new album sounds great to me. I love the power chords and actually leaning into the rock genre instead of straddling the line. My biggest problem with the album is the reason its so low. You cannot hear the vocals on the album. The mix is awful. The guitar drowns out Kody's voice. It is really bad at times.(60/100)

39.Brandy Clark-Your Life Is a Record, I am a huge fan of Brandy Clark's writing. She brings a clever and slightly sinister perspective of small town life. Long Walk, which is about a nosy neighbor, is the class of the album. Its smart. Its funny. I even like the added horn section to the song. As a hole, the album is disjointed. There are so many different sounds and instruments used from song to song, it doesn't lead to a connected finished product. I kept finding myself asking why is this sound here?(62/100)

38.Granger Smith-Country Things, Granger Smith was the first artist to really bring me fully into the Texas scene. I loved his Texas sound blended with a little rock from time to time, especially when Earl Dibbles Jr shows up. He went to Nashville and lost all those country instruments and replaced it with electronic beats and more electric guitar. You hear this sound on the album. Its mostly the songs that were released earlier in 2020. The newer songs seem to have more fiddle and steel and a distinct Texas sound. Hopefully, he is heading back to that sound, because the electronic sounds we hear over parts of this album keep it from being a good album.(63/100)

37.Hot Country Knights-The K is Silent, The key for a parody or comedy act is to actually know how to sing and play the music. After the joke wears off, and it wears off fast, whats left? Well, when you have Dierks Bentley and his band, you have a country throwback worthy of Travis Tritt and Joe Diffie. The songs are mostly jokes, but they are played serious, and are written well enough to hold up to multiple listenings. Then it Rained, a parody of The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks is the best song here. Its dumb, but done well, and that leads to multiple listens.(64/100)

36.Ashley McBryde-Never Will, For me, this album starts off on the wrong foot and the quality songs at the middle and the end of the album cannot make up for the muffed start. The album starts out with Hang in There Girl and One Night Standards, and both are bland songs that I feel like Ive heard on the radio multiple times. McBryde's delivery is sleepy. I dont feel any conviction. The third song is Shut Up Shiela, and to me, its one of the worst songs of the year. I don't agree with the message of the song. I really hate it. The last eight songs go from good to great. There are some really great songs like Marth Divine and Velvet Red, but nothing can overcome how much I disliked the start of the album.(64/100)

35.Gone West-Canyons, Gone West released their debut EP in 2019, and it was one of my favorite of the year. I loved the west coast airy vibe. An almost Jack Johnson type of sound. Those four songs are on the thirteen song debut album by the group, and they are the best songs on the album. The other nine songs don't really hit the mark. They are soulless, pop productions that do not hit the mark. The band announced its breakup in October after Colbie Caillat and Justin Young announced their separation.(64/100)

34.Aubrie Sellers-Far From Home, Sellers calls her music "garage country." A more rock based approach to her music. It doesn't work. Sellers has a powerful, almost angelic voice. It does not work with a dirty guitar laced track, especially when you are being backed up by someone like Steve Earle. The sounds dont blend together well. The best song on the album is the slow, sparse Haven't Even Kissed Me Yet. The music does not get in the way of Sellers voice. She is sweet. She is sexy. There is tons of versatility in her voice, it just isn't a grunge rock voice.(65/100)

33.Tucker Beathard-KING, Tucker has a very unique and interesting voice, but I cannot stand this mid-tempo sad boy country rock sound that he has throughout this album. It makes it worse that he has some pretty vanilla and boring lyrics here as well.  A few songs really catch your eye at points, but its mostly a forgettable album.(65/100)

32.Maddie & Tae-The Way It Feels, Before the due released their EP One Hear to Another in April of 2019, the duo announced that their album was going to be this one big concept and they had been working on it for a while. It has been a long time since their impressive debut album, so I was excited. We got the first EP, and I love it. We got the second EP, and I loved it. We got the full album in April of 2020, and it was 15 total tracks. 10 previously released through EPs and 5 new songs. There was no order to the track listings. The songs were thrown together just like any other album, and I really did not care for any of the new tracks. Its a very solid album, but I have it at this spot for the disappointment in the duo not delivering with a concept album.(69/100)

31.Chris Colston-Bombs Away, Colston is firmly in that new age of Texas Country artist that are taking over the charts. He has released singles over the past couple of years, but Bombs Away marks his first album. I like to describe Colston, and the album, and modern pop-country that is well written for recycled cliches, with a electric guitar fronted sound instead of manufactured music. Its not groundbreaking at all, and there are some eye roll moments, but overall, its a solid pop-country release.(69/100)

30.Kelsea Ballerini-kelsea/ballerini, The album kelsea was released last March and was a very pop sounding album to say the least. On some songs, its sounds like the only music is electronically made. Since the pandemic gave everyone a lot of free time, Mrs Ballerini decided to redo the album as a more country version, and it was named ballerini. There is a good balance of songs between the two albums. Kelsea does have the ability to seamlessly go back and forth between country and pop. What distances Ballerini between the rest of the pack in Nashville is her writing. She wrote or co-wrote all the songs on the album, and unlike the title to the first track, I dont think she overshares in her writing. She is very personal, but she does a great job of keeping the songs just inclusive enough so audiences can relate. If she ever decided to be a 100% country singer, she could be an all time great, but I dont think we will ever see that with her love and love letters to pop music.(69/100)

29.Josh Abbott Band-The Highway Kind, Since his last album in 2017, Josh Abbott has released a couple of EPs. Josh has also been experimenting with his sound and writing since his 2015 album Front Row Seat. Some was good early on, but his latest EP release in September of 2020 was just bad. It was four overmixed, bland, soulless songs; that ultimately made its way onto the new ten track album. 40% of the album is the worst songs Abbott has ever released. The other 60%, or six other songs? Really good. It sounds like old Josh Abbott. Heavy fiddle. Texas. Fun music with a slice of heart. I want more of that guy.(69/100)

28.Brothers Osborne-Skeletons, I was not expecting this from the brothers. They released their first single All Night early in 2020, and it was the worst song I had ever heard from the duo. It was badly written, even for Nashville, and it just sounded out of place. It must have been the song the label made them record for radio. The rest of the album is full of John just playing his *** off on guitar. There are some great guitar solos on here. Its 12 songs of uptempo fun, and Nashville even let them get in a two and a half minute instrumental called Muskrat Greene. While I absolutely love the sound of the album, the writing just isnt there. All Night was atrocious, but the rest of the album is surprisingly weak with tired and beaten metaphors that are no longer easy to digest.(70/100)

27.Jesse Daniel-Rollin' On, This album is the sound of country music to my ears. That authentic Bakersfield sound from the 60s is distinct and classic. Most artists that try to incorporate old sounds as their own end up sounding like a tribute band or a karaoke singer, but not here with Jesse Daniel. He is from California and has a deep appreciation and love for the music, and the authenticity oozes. The writing is original and deep, and better than probably most of the albums ahead of it. The problem is that I cannot stand Jesse Daniel's voice. Its boring and not very strong. Its also a little whiny at times. Its whats really holding me back from loving this album.(70/100)

26.Ingrid Andress-Lady Like, More Hearts Than Mine came out of nowhere in 2019, and ended up being my #1 song for the year. It was a very interesting and fresh take on a girl taking her boyfriend home to meet the parents. I also got a little tinge of old fashionedness when listening to the song. That is not her first album, Lady Like. There are some enjoyable songs here. The catch is, this isnt country music in the slightest. Im good with sampling of other genres. Im good with expanding the boundaries of the sound of country music. Country music does not exist in the now pop-culture wise. Content and context matters big for what a country song is to me, and using current vernacular over and over like in pop songs is not country. A word here. A word there. It took me out of the song. Country music doesnt jump on cultural fads when it happens. Those lyrics with overtly pop sounds push a good album down to this spot.(70/100)

25.Tennessee Jet-The Country, If you know Tennessee Jet, then you probably know him as a friend, opening act for, and collaborator with Cody Jinks. The album truly has some great songs like The Country, Off to War, and the Nirvana inspired Johnny but you can take off two songs right away. He tried to bring some friends together(Jinks included) and redo the classic Pancho & Lefty, and its an automatic skip for me. Too many voices. Too much going on. The Raven & The Dove is another song that I automatically skip because he wrote that song with Jinks and Jinks released it a few years ago, and I just cant get behind Tennessee Jet's version after hearing Jinks. So that just leaves eight songs left and one of those is another cover, and then another is another song that Jinks previously cut. So although there are some truly great songs on this album, there just isnt enough with you add in the covers and previously released Jinks material.(71/100)

24.Upchurch-Everlasting Country, Started at the bottom, and now we are here. Ive listened to a number of Upchurch albums and whether its country or rap or rock, he has always had a couple of good songs on the albums. It just wasnt enough. Im glad he is leaning more towards country music at the moment because its what he does best. He is a backwoods hick and what he writes about is country. It might not be whats on the radio, but Upchurch is talented. The first four songs on the album deliver. I think Im good at smelling BS and I am about authenticity when it comes to any of my music and the title track is literally music to my ears. Its sparse sonically through the first two verses but Upchurch writes about what he knows and it all comes together on Everlasting Country. Its a gorgeous song that I never thought Id hear from Upchurch when I first learned who he was five years ago. The back half of the album has a couple of good songs, including one rap song, but the back half just isnt as strong. There are more cliches than experiences here, but overall, its a solid album and it makes me want to hear more of this Upchurch.(71/100)

23.Sarah Jarosz-World On The Ground, On World On The Ground, Jarosz is breaking in a new producer that is definitely noticeable throughout the ten tracks. The theme, for the most part, seems to revolve about your hometown. Coming home or leaving. Sinking into your comfort zone or maybe trying to head out on your own for the first time. No matter, its all based around that sleepy little town where you grew up. Sleepy is definitely how I would describe the album. The writing is once again excellent. Jarosz alwasy brings it in that category. The album is just boring. The production is slow and just has this haze all over it. One song becomes the next, and it doesnt matter how well the lyrics are written if you are half asleep from the music. Hopefully she will find another producer that has some energy because this album isnt it.(71/100)

22.Rich O'Toole-New York, In 2020, the Texas native gives us his first album since 2017 after releasing a number of singles since that last release. O'Toole isnt your typical Texas artist. You dont see him in a hat and wranglers. He is more of an every guy. He has lived in California recently and Bruce Springsteen is one of his biggest influences. All of this explains where we get the sounds of this album from. Its more adult contemporary than his past music. What I like about the album is the fact that he had a concept for this album and it sounds like it came out exactly as he wanted it. There isnt one great song here, but its a collection of well written songs that have a theme and a sound which gives us a tight package of music that is easily digestible to the ears.(72/100)

21.Colter Wall-Western Swing & Waltzes and Other Punchy Songs, The latest album by Canada native Colter Wall is his most contemporary album to date. I say that because a lot of Wall's older music is him, a guitar, and not much else. He has a band backing him for most of this album and the fiddle, steel, and drums give the album more character. Big Iron is a song first released by country legend Marty Robbins in 1960. Its a song about a gun fight in the old west and is from Robbins Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, so the song really does fit Wall here. Marty Robbins version is a classic and one of my all time favorites, but Wall delivers here and makes the song his own. The album is a good one. I like that Wall is original and does his own thing and it works for him and its good but this isnt an album I can put on day after day. Sounds of the old west is something I want to hear a few times and then put it away for a while, and because of this, the album sits here.(73/100)

20.Koe Wetzel-Sellout, Koe Wetzel was my most played artist in 2020. My top five songs from last year were all Koe Wetzel songs. He plays the power chords and doesnt try to stay in the country box all the time like so many that try to incorporate a more rock sound in their country music. He hits my itch for 90s and 00s rock along with an attitude that just doesnt give a damn what you think. On Sellout, I think he let his dont give a damn attitude leak out too much in the songs. Sidechick and Drug Problem are just dribble. Two of the worst songs that have been released in 2000. There is no substance here. So although I can crank up Sundy or Mundy, Good Die Young, FGA, and Kuntry & Wistern and love the hell out of it, I dont consider this a great album. Its the weakest released by Koe.(73/100)

19.Giovannie and the Hired Guns-Giovannie and the Hired Guns, Giovannie and the boys booked their latest album with two rock anthems that showcase the influence of early 2000s alternative rock that we hear in the two songs. If those were the only two songs that I listened to, I would have thought that the band was the next to follow Koe Wetzel in the Texas scene in being a true rock band with country influences. The eight songs inbetween those two sound more like something you would hear on the radio. The music is definitely rock influenced but it toes the line more with today's country standards. No matter what song you listen to on the album, you will hear the raspy voice of Giovannie Yanez that belts out lyric after lyric. His voice is what makes this group special, and is the reason this group is finding big success in the Texas market.(75/100)

18.Luke Bryan-Born Here Live Her Die Here, Luke Bryan almost did it. He almost gave us a great country sounding album and it was really unexpected. Knockin' Boots, What She Wants Tonight, and One Margarita were all released as singles before the album came out last August and all three are the songs that we are accustom to hearing from Luke. Radio friendly, bro-country esque songs that helped to make Bryan one of the biggest artists in country music. The rest of the album is from a grown up Bryan that might signify that Spring Break Luke might have been left in the last decade. There is a wispy, 70s sound to the rest of the album that we have recently been hearing from country artists. Little Less Broken sounds like it would have a home on a Mike and The Moonpies album. That's a far departure for Bryan, and I want more. I havent been this excited about Luke Bryan since 2006 when I heard All My Friends Say on the radio for the first time.(76/100)

17.Hardy-A Rock, I am a millennial country boy from Georgia. Im not a cowboy. Ive never worked on a ranch. Im not from the holler. Im also not the sex crazed, beer drinking idiot that country radio has made a lot of money off of singing about this past decade. Im a guy with values. I love my family. I love how I grew up. I love where Im from. Listening to Hardy's latest album, and who I am is who I hear him singing about. Hardy has breathed life in a genre that is stale. You hear the love he has for the subjects he is describing. Its still Nashville country and there are a few cringe songs that really do not belong on the album because they sound more like the songs he gives to FGL, but there is depth here and it is exciting to think what else Hardy has in that head of his.(76/100)

16.Charlie Crockett-Welcome to Hard Times, Charlie Crockett has this soothing melodic voice that makes his music so easy going. Its a good thing and a bad thing. He speaks plainly. No ten dollar words here. The album itself takes a lot of inspiration from the Countrypolitan music that ruled country music in the 60s. All of this makes Welcome to Hard Times a good album. Its also the reason that some of the songs tend to run together. The standout songs are the ones where he uses inflection to really accentuate words like on the title track, and best song, Welcome to Hard Times. Like a good hook, the way he sings the words "Welcome to Hard Times" or "Im the man that time forgot" capture your attention and leave you singing the lyrics long after the song has ended. More of that. A little more variety, and this could have been a great album.(77/100)

15.The Panhandlers-The Panhandlers, This new super group in Texas Country might not rival The Highwaymen, but the four guys that make up The Panhandlers are some of the absolute best in the Texas scene and all are at the height of their powers. This isn't newcomers and this isnt old timers. Josh Abbott, William Clark Green, John Baumann, and Cleto Cordero are the four Panhandlers. What I liked most about the album was that they taylored their album around the area the band was named after and where these guys either grew up or went to school. There is a true vision here. This isnt just to cash a check and we might have gotten more from these guys if it wasn't for the pandemic, and they are saying this isnt a one off, so they will be back. My biggest drawback on the album is that it seems like Cleto Cordero is trying to make it his own album. Two solo songs. Featured prominently in another, and thats not counting the songs the group sung together. The other three aren't featured as much as Cordero, and he is the weakest of the four.(78/100)

14.Lori McKenna-The Balladeer, There is no doubt to me that you can put up McKenna's work against any female in the business and McKenna comes out on top. She is the best female writer in the whole genre, and she just might be the best writer in country music overall. Maybe Im just getting older, but this album resonated with me a little more than the past albums that I have listened to. I'm not sure if she is writing more to them, or its just that I notice it more, but I feel like her five kids and her singing to them is a huge chunk of this album. I don't have kids, nor the desire for them, but I just find myself connecting with these songs like "yep, I did that. You probably should listen to your mom." It all goes back to being personal and talking about what you know relates to people more than using generalities and trying to "reach everyone." I always expect greatness from McKenna, and she delivers time after time.(79/100)

13.Joshua Ray Walker-Glad You Made It, “I might put this truck in neutral / Let it roll into the lake / I’ll finish off this bottle / So it looks like a mistake.”-Voices. That starts off the album, and the tone of the album doesn't shift too much in the following nine songs. Depression, suicide, drugs, addiction. All of the subjects are covered by Walker. This album finds itself in the writing. Walker reaches from within and pours out lyrics that just stops me in my tracks and its jaw dropping just how good his writing is at times. The writing is the biggest plus on a very good album, but its suffers from Joshua trying to find his sound. You can hear the Austin eclectic influence in the album and you can go from heavy steel guitar and honky tonk music to heavy horns to rock leaning sounds. Because of this, it does lose some cohesiveness and the album sort of loses its was towards the back half of the album.(79/100)

12.Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen-Hold My Beer Vol. 2, We now go from super serious to an album that has the lyrics "Cause you'd get throttled if they knew/That Ronald McDonald was doing her now/Nah, she didn't just leave you/She left you for a Rodeo Clown." Rogers and Bowen are two of the elder statesmen in Texas Country these days and you can turn on any of their individual projects and you'd get that Texas twang and heartbreak that is a staple in country music, but when these two get together, fun takes precedence. Its easy digestible country music that stays to its roots. The album is an escape project for these two artists, so being deep and intense isn't exactly what these guys are going for. The album stands on its own as is, and it is a compliment to these two that they can go into the studio for a fun project and still put out quality country music.(80/100)

11.American Aquarium-Lamentations, If someone told me that this album was the best of the year, I'd almost agree, Yet, the album comes in at #11 for me. Lead singer BJ Barham is a master class in country music. Its hard to think that even a non-country loving person could dislike this project. Barham writes for the simple man and leans on those principles like hard work in his writings, but he writes in such a way that a New York elite could see himself in Barham's music. Then we can get into the passion that Barham exudes. I hear it in his voice over Spotify. He sings every song like its his last. I don't see how anyone could be turned away by him. This album is ten songs but it clocks in at over forty two minutes. That is consistently long songs and the outros on Me + Mine, Brightleaf + Burley, and The Long Haul are lucious and indulgent. Its damn good music, but there are moments throughout the album where I find myself drifting off. Barham can get a little wordy at times and the music can meander, leaving a quite not so tight album. Small complaints for a very good album.(83/100)

10.Sturgill Simpson-Cuttin' Grass Vol. 1, This is my list so I will be having two albums that do not consist of new music ranked. We will see the other Simpson album later on, but volume 1 finds its place here. Sturgill seems to get bored easily. We've had classic country Sturgill, psychedelic Sturgill, horns Sturgill, and rock Sturgill in album form. Now because of the pandemic, we have bluegrass Sturgill. Bluegrass and Sturgill have been something that fans have been clamoring for but it took a fundraising bet from Sturgill to the fans for us to get an actual bluegrass album. The music is beyond outstanding and I learned of the sub-genre Newgrass from this album. Its a more modern bluegrass sound through more production and having an almost jam band type quality. The album is twenty songs and the songs are in alphabetical order, so it does feel more like a greatest hits album than a normal release with its lack of intimacy and soul.(84/100)

9.Hailey Whitters-The Dream, The new album from Hailey Whitters is a perfect example of when you use production in the studio the right way. Whitters has a look and a voice that seems to exude a wholesome and maybe sweet artist. In The Dream, she does a great job of using the electric guitar to give off a bit of a dirty sound. The use of reverb on a stripped down acoustic guitar song like The Faker brings depth to the sound and gives a little more griminess to her sweet voice. Her song choices for the album were superb as well. She writes most of her music, but she was able to get the Chris Stapleton song "The Devil Always Made Me Think Twice." A perfect song for the sound of the album. Its a bluesy, electric guitar heavy, song about sinnin' and Whitters has the ability to make the song her own. I love the Stapleton version, but Hailey has some pipes and is believable. She also has another cover on the album. "Loose Change" by Brent Cobb, another one of my favorite artists, and its exceptional as well and its a slow sweet song about love. Whitters is versatile and it shines throughout this album.(85/100)

8.Brent Cobb-Keep 'Em on They Toes, In today's world, even if you aren't into politics, its almost impossible to get away from the constant barrage of noise coming from every side from every medium that you could think about. Brent Cobb is expressing his world view in his new album, and I think thats one of leave me alone. He has a family and a life that is good, and he wants to spend his time with them and make his music and let his voice sing through his music. He sings for unity. He sings for a better world, but he wants his voice in his music to be enough. "Well, hot dog, your opinion is louder than mine/You might wear out my nerves, but you ain't changin' my mind/By good God, lets hop off the soapbox and get along." That sound good to me.(85/100)

7.Jessi Alexander-Decatur County Red, You've heard a number of Jessi Alexander songs on the radio. She is one of the best writers in Nashville but she has not been able to make it as an artist in her two decades in Nashville, and I have to question why after listening to Decatur County Red. I think the answer is that Nashville doesn't want real women. They want the beauty queens that can sing pop music. They want their women to be pop stars and try to reach those demographics that wouldn't normally listen to country music. There are no real women anymore. The Patty Lovelace's and Martina McBrides are gone. The normal everyday women that sing from the everyday woman's perspective are left to write songs for these "pop stars." Its no coincidence that the three women I have ranked between 7-14 are considered great songwriters but aren't big artists themselves. Thats enough of my tangent. Listen to this album by Jessi Alexander. Its straight country with a tinge of outlaw.(86/100)

6.Daniel Donato-A Young Man's Country, I have read the reviews on Daniel Donato and this album. I read a lot of people talking negatively about Daniel's voice. That its weird and he doesn't have that good of a voice, and I will admit, they do have some merit. The first time I listened to Daniel, I heard the guitar licks at the beginning and was pleasantly surprised, and then I heard his voice. It is weird and not very strong, and it took a little adjustment to hearing it, but its not bad. He does know his limitations and when he can throw out the best guitar playing maybe on the earth around his voice, I am not going to complain. The songs themselves are expertly crafted. The guitar playing is the attraction, but he is able compliment it with other instruments so well. The percussion is a master class. This is just a fun album. Daniel is a country music jam band.(87/100)

5.Chris Stapleton-Starting Over, Chris Stapleton is that rare artist that can pretty much sing anything and it will sound good. He has shown tons of versatility in his short career. When he released the single Starting Over, I was ready to give up on Chris. His From A Room records were good but not great and he now gives us this simple, boring song that would work for most people, but it feels like wasted talent when he is releasing songs like this. Luckily, that was just one small piece of the album. There are a number of rock songs on this album that fit really well next to his normal blues influenced sound that create this great cohesive album. Producer Dave Cobb does a great job of creating a theme/feeling/atmosphere throughout the album so even the slow songs that I normally dont love, have a place and fit well next to everything else. Its a very solid effort from top to bottom that shows that Stapleton is still at the top of country music.(88/100)

3b.The Wilder Blue-Hill Country, It took about 45 seconds for me to fall in love with this group. River Roll comes on and it has this heavenly guitar lick and then Zane Williams sweetly sings the first verse but its when he hits the chorus and everyone chimes in at Hill Country and the harmony just flows. Chills. It instantly gave me Alabama flashes, when they would come together and harmonize on songs. The Wilder Blue is kind of a super group in Texas. Lead singer Williams has had a long solo career in the state and the rest of the group has had success throughout the state and region. This album is such a easy and fun listen. Zane Williams singing lead. The almost spiritual harmonies. The dobro being featured. I just dont see how anyone could not enjoy this work of art. It is country music at its best.(93/100)

3a.Brett Eldredge-Sunday Drive, I have never been a fan of Eldredge or his adult contemporary type of pop country music, so when he started getting praise for his new album, I just rolled my eyes. I almost didn't listen to the album. That would have been a huge mistake. This is the album from a man taking charge of his career and playing music that he wants to play. Is it still more of an adult contemporary album? Yeah, Eldredge's voice really isnt for country music, but this album is such a success because Eldredge did what he said. He went back home to small town Illinois for inspiration and every song fits together. There isnt this one out of place song he released for radio. He takes the listener to his hometown and it is emotional. The sound is more of a rootsy sound with heavy use of strings and piano, but its real music and you can tell that Eldredge believes in it and loves it. Brett's mainstream career seems to be coming to a close, but if he continues to pump out great music like this, he will easily find his place and will be welcomed.(93/100)

Edited by devils1854

2.Sturgill Simpson-Cuttin' Grass Vol. 2, I am not giving this album a perfect score on this list because its not an original album, but it is a perfect album. Its twelve songs, not twenty like the last album. The songs arent in alphabetical order. These are the songs that mean something to Sturgill. Half of the album is from A Sailors Guide, his album for his son. It has his tribute to his grandfather. Oh Sarah is a song for his wife. Hobo Cartoon is a song Sturgill co-wrote with Merle Haggard before his death. This album has weight to it. There is not much else that I can say about the album because its just perfect. Perfect execution on everything.(95/100*)

1.81ECX32-L+L._SX425_.jpg

Ward Davis-Black Cats and Crows, I have heard the name Ward Davis over and over from being part of Cody Jinks, Tennessee Jet, and Sunny Sweeney group in Texas but I never listened to any of his stuff because he has not put out much music since his last album in 2015. Knowing that he went through a divorce gives this album so much more weight because its a dark album. There are rock songs on the album and then you have piano ballads because Ward is also a piano player. He is able to take these two separate sounds and bring them together through the song writing and the themes of the album. When Davis sings, you hear heartache in his voice. These songs are real to him. He doesnt have to try to convince you that he lives his songs. You can hear it. "Sounds of Chains" is a hard rock injected song about a man killing his wife and her lover and going to prison. I love a good murder ballad, but this song has a twist at the end and its perfect. There is no redemption here. There is no redemption on this album. The last song I want to talk about is "Lady Down on Love." The song was a #1 hit for Alabama back in 1983, and it is probably a top five song from them imo. The song is about a woman going out for the first time since before she got married. Her husband cheated on her and the marriage ended. Its from the woman's perspective and going back to Davis getting divorced. It hits, and Davis does the song absolute justice.(95/100)

Favorite 75 Songs of 2020

51.Luke Bryan-For A Boat

52.Giovannie and the Hired Guns-Rooster Tattoo
53.Parker McCollum-Hallie Ray Light
54.Tennessee Jet-The Country
55.Canaan Smith-Colder Than You
56.Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen-Let Merle Be Merle
57.Triston Marez-Forgot About You
58.Lauren Alaina-Seen You In Your Hometown
59.Ryan Hurd w/The Cadillac Three-Payback
60.Miranda Lambert-Bluebird

61.Morgan Wallen-More Than My Hometown
62.Ingrid Andress-The Stranger
63.Aaron Watson-Whisper My Name
64.Brett Eldredge-Magnolia
65.Parker McCollum-Like A Cowboy
66.Chris Stapleton-Hillbilly Blood
67.American Aquarium-Me + Mine(Lamentations)

68.Brett Eldredge-Gabrielle
69.Sam Hunt-Hard to Forget
70.Colter Wall-Big Iron

71.Upchurch-Sonic Drive-In
72.Luke Bryan-Little Less Broken
73.Clare Dunn-El Paso
74.Jordan Rager-Somebody's Summer
75.Trea Landon-Dirt Road Dancin'

41.Brett Eldredge-Sunday Drive
42.Midland-Cheatin' Songs
43.Orville Peck-Summertime
44.Diplo/Morgan Wallen-Heartless