Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

Now that I finally finished that, here is what Im listening to in this first quarter of 2021 and what Im looking forward to

• Morgan Wade-"Wilder Days" I found this song on one of the Spotify country playlists. Wade was the cover and her tattoos intrigued me, so I listened to the song and I love it. In the song, she is singing to this new older man she is singing and wanting him to become the wilder guy that he was when he was younger. Its simple but not something I hear in country music. Great song where the production actually helps to dirty up the song a little. Her debut album comes out next Friday and I will be seeing her in concert next Thursday night. My first concert since before COVID. Im excited.
  • Carly Pearce-29, Carly's last album came out in 2020 and had a #1 single but her and her label decided to stop promoting it and she came out with Next Girl, which is 100% about her breakup with Michael Ray after a year of marriage. This is her breakup album. She co-wrote every song and its the best thing to come out so far this year. She lets everything out on the table.
  • Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert, Jon Randall-The Marfa Tapes, Two songs have been released in the past two weeks from this project that Im just now learning about. This trio of friends got together in West Texas and wrote and recorded an album together. Its acoustic and mostly new songs, but the trio released Lambert's Tin Man yesterday, and its fantastic. Not exactly sure what we are getting with this, but I am excited for its release in May.
  • I have kept myself away from all the music that Eric Church has released leading up to his three album release in April. I like listening to albums whole for the first time without knowing whats coming. I only want to know the singles. Im not looking forward to listening to three different albums even if it is from one of my top five artists. Too much is too much.
  • Current 2021 releases on my playlists- Parker McCollum-To Be Loved By You, Austin Meade w/Koe Wetzel-Happier Alone, Jon Pardi-Tequila Little Lime, Travis Tritt-Smoke In A Bar, Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert, Jon Randall-In His Arms, Tyler Barham-World on Fire, Charley Crockett-I Can Help, Scythian w/Catie Parker Fedoryka-Virginia, Triston Marez w/Ronnie Dunn-Where the Neon Lies, Morgan Wallen-Still Goin Down, Parker Millsap-The Real Thing
  • Albums Im looking forward to in the coming months, Travis Tritt-Set in Stone, Kacey Musgraves-????, Blackberry Smoke-You Hear Georgia, Parker Millsap-Be Here Instead, Tracy Lawrence-Hindsight 2020 Vol. 1.

• 1 month later...

I watched an abbreviated version of the ACM awards this week, and to be honest, it was probably the best country award show in 5 years. Still gets like a 4.5/10 but it was progress.

Im really excited for The Marfa Tapes from Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram, and Jon Randall. It was awesome for them to perform on the ACM Awards and they released one more song "Geraldine" before the album release next Friday. I really think this is going to be the album of the year in 2021. Everything Ive heard so far has been amazingly good.

I thought we were turning a corner with Thomas Rhett. I heard him sing Country Again on the ACMs and was floored that he recorded and released that song. Its actually good. Gave me hope for the new album even though Whats Your Country Song is on the list of worst songs of the year.....Ive listened to the new album twice now since it came out yesterday, and it was just a bait and switch. This is no better than the **** he put out like T-Shirt and Vacation. Just because you add a steel guitar and fiddle to a song doesnt automatically make it country if its the same awful writing that you've used before and you still use snap tracks. Thomas Rhett can kiss my *** after this turd.

Eric Church and Bunch of Nothing was good on the award show. Not a real special song, but enjoyable. His two albums that he just released..........bunch of meh.

Half of My Hometown by Kelsea Ballerini with Kenny Chesney was a gorgeous song. That girl can sing, if she would just say to hell with Los Angeles, she could become more than just another blonde in country music.

Alan Jackson on any award show is a great thing, and its especially great with he sings "Drive." First time hearing the new song about his kids. New album in just a couple of weeks from the legend.

There were a few other descent performances. Not bad overall. There really does feel like there is a shift going on in country music, much like what happened in the middle to late 80s. Its becoming more traditional....slowly, but I definitely see some good.

• 1 month later...

You and I disagree I realize that, you must work at a country music station or something because most of the new stuff is total garbage like I have said before.  So shocked how anyone is that in tune to the new country music out there.

Give me this all day, and this is from what most would consider amateurs who are no longer even a band anymore.

Sure that above one is a cover, here is one of their original songs and still has more style and tempo than most new country songs today.  Since when is a steel guitar a bad thing?  And this was done by children at the time.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You and I disagree I realize that, you must work at a country music station or something because most of the new stuff is total garbage like I have said before.  So shocked how anyone is that in tune to the new country music out there.

edit: not worth my time

Edited by devils1854

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Kat Hasty is the real deal folks 

Ive liked what Ive heard so far, but Im keeping full judgement until I hear her with a producer and a full band behind her. To me, singer/songwriter isnt end all be all. I need more. Zach Bryan didnt reel me in until he started having a backing band. Kat has the talent, just waiting for her to blossom.

• Like 1

Been waiting and wondering when we were going to get some great country music in 2021 and it took half of the year but we might finally have it in albums from Leah Blevins and Mike and the Moonpies. Blevins reminds me a little of early Ashley Monroe. Sweetness just drips off her voice, and Mike and the boys have been killing it for about 5 years now but this new album released last week could be the best.

New Sturgill out today.

The album is 10 songs, 27 minutes. The Ballad of Dood & Juanita. Dood and Juanita were his grandparents. This is a fictional story set in the old west and its a combo of western music, gospel, bluegrass, and other old influences. It sounds like a combo of Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, Roy Rogers, and Tyler Childers. Musically, perfect maybe? Going to take a few listens and lyric sheets to really get the story since Sturgill does have the tendency to muffle his words.

• Like 1