Jaguars Free Agents/Free Agency thread

.Buzz

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I feel like i'm completely missing the hype train on Trey Burton.  He's a smallish HBacky TE type guy, who hasn't exactly lit it up in terms of yardage accrued.  Like...statistically, he had a slightly worse year that Old Man Marcedes Lewis, and doesn't offer anywhere even close the same utility as a blocker.  Is it because he has a handful of TDs and is coming off a SB Winning team, or what's the deal?

I hope we just steer clear of that nonsense entirely.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like i'm completely missing the hype train on Trey Burton.  He's a smallish HBacky TE type guy, who hasn't exactly lit it up in terms of yardage accrued.  Like...statistically, he had a slightly worse year that Old Man Marcedes Lewis, and doesn't offer anywhere even close the same utility as a blocker.  Is it because he has a handful of TDs and is coming off a SB Winning team, or what's the deal?

I hope we just steer clear of that nonsense entirely.

He has all the tools your would look for in a receiving TE. Zach Ertz was playing in front of him so he didnt exactly get an opportunity other than the 2 games that Ertz missed but Burton went 10-122-3 in those 2 games. Not saying you can extrapolate that out into 80-1000-24 but i think he would be a good addition to the team

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He has all the tools your would look for in a receiving TE. Zach Ertz was playing in front of him so he didnt exactly get an opportunity other than the 2 games that Ertz missed but Burton went 10-122-3 in those 2 games. Not saying you can extrapolate that out into 80-1000-24 but i think he would be a good addition to the team

I guess.  Just seems like a really stupid amount to throw out at a guy on projection from a tiny sample size in an offense that probably isn't very translatable to ours in the first place.

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Would rather have Lee

I'd rather have neither, and just spend the extra on the substantially better player in Allen Robinson.  As long as he's healthy, he's in a completely different class from those guys.  With Bortles contract rejigging, we have enough money to keep ARob and others, build through the draft from there.  We already have decent 2/3 types on affordable deals.  We need quality at the top, more than quantity at this point.  We're only going to have so many WRs on the field at any given time.  Better to add a #1 guy at the top of the depth chart, than continue to crowd out that #2/3 range.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I guess.  Just seems like a really stupid amount to throw out at a guy on projection from a tiny sample size in an offense that probably isn't very translatable to ours in the first place.

I'd rather have neither, and just spend the extra on the substantially better player in Allen Robinson.  As long as he's healthy, he's in a completely different class from those guys.  With Bortles contract rejigging, we have enough money to keep ARob and others, build through the draft from there.  We already have decent 2/3 types on affordable deals.  We need quality at the top, more than quantity at this point.  We're only going to have so many WRs on the field at any given time.  Better to add a #1 guy at the top of the depth chart, than continue to crowd out that #2/3 range.

6M a year is probably what he is going to get and dont think its too much. When asked to make plays, he made plays

Also, I obviously would rather have A-rob too but we weren't talking about him. We can afford A-Rob this year but if we did sign him to 3 years for say 40M, can we afford all the defensive players we will want to pay?

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure I believe this...

I don't want to believe this.  But this staff have always had a weird crush on Lee.  And i said before, i could absolutely see them doing something stupid like this.  And then justifying it with something like, "well...we made it to the AFC championship game, with Lee and not ARob".  And i will be upset.

Archived