Loganf89 Mock V2

LoganF89

2 minutes ago, mike23md said:

So, when I see D.J. Moore run a 4.42 40, I think. Um, ok, he didn't look that fast on tape, so what am I missing. And the analysis was clearer when I went back and looked at his deep targets. 

Care to elaborate for me (us)? What did you see that missed on first look? What did you reaffirm?

On 3/5/2018 at 4:18 PM, mike23md said:

Sir I watch game tape, not highlight reels. I look for things in each position to evaluate a player. 

D.J. Moore - Moderate burst off the line. Doesnt sell the route very well. Trouble getting seperation against good defenders. Is average in getting off man press covereage. Straight line speed is there, but any good corner bumping the route will negate his top end speed. Good hands in traffic. Can go and make good catches when the ball is placed right. Does not make good use of the sideline. Needs to be stronger at the point of attack and win the LOS battle with CB's. Can be slippery when he has the ball but doesnt have the lower body strength to fight for extra yards. Doesnt have a good ability to block on run plays. 

Against Ohio State he had 2 catches for 11 yards. 

Against Michigan he had 5 catches for 37 yards. 

Wisconsin he had 3 catches for 44 yards. 

Yet he puts up 200 yards against NW in a loss, and 100 against Penn State in loss. But can barely break 100 yards against Towson in a blowout. 

I feel like he could be a late 2nd rounder considering his speed, but I am just not a fan of his game tape against UCF, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan State. 

Comparing Moore to Garcon is shortsiding Garcon imo. Garcon was physical and aggressive. Attacked press coverage and was quick in and out of routes. Moore seems the opposite, especially against good CB's. 

I just don't feel him being an option for the Redskins in the 2nd round. If he is there in the 4th possibly, but just because he ran a 4.42 doesn't mean his game tape reflects that. 

I only posted the highlight film for the limited purpose of showing that his game has very little in common with Jamison Crowder’s.

I’m happy to go back and check out some film with an eye on evaluating your take on his techniques. I would suggest it’s a little unfair to compare Moore as a 20-year-old junior in college to the Garçon we saw in his 5th season and beyond in the NFL. When Garçon was 20, he was a sophomore at Mt Union, putting up numbers fairly comparable to Moore’s despite the fact that he was playing against exclusively kids who have to pay for the opportunity to continue playing football after high school. Garçon didn’t even get on the field in the NFL until he was 23, so I think it’s relatively understandable that Moore may need some additional coaching and polish to get his technique up to high-end NFL standards. 

The rest of it (the cherry picked games against good teams where he didn’t get much done) doesn’t mean much to me. He wasn’t able to pile up catches against teams with far superior talent who knew he was MD’s only competent receiver and rolled coverage on him all day long? With Max Bortenschlager and some walk-on who came to MD because his little brother got a scholarship as the QB? That’s who was playing QB in the Michigan game you cited, some tiny kid who looked like he won a sweepstakes to get to be there. 

Almost all top college receivers on limited offenses have down games against great teams who have deep talent on defense. Look at Michael Thomas (3 for 34 yards against Penn State, 2 for 8 yards against Michigan State, 2 for 50 yards against Michigan). Or Odell Beckham (5 for 59 yards against Auburn, 2 for 47 yards against Florida, 3 for 42 yards against Alabama). Or Juju Smith-Schuster (1 for 9 yards against Alabama, 3 for 34 yards against Stanford, 3 for 41 yards against Washington).

All of them are top young receivers in the league right now, but they put up a lot of duds against good teams in their final seasons. And they did it with JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Zach Mettenberger, and Sam Darnold throwing them the ball. So no, I’m not the least bit worried about Moore having some quiet games against far superior teams. Especially not when he had grave incompetence at QB in those games. 

All that said, I like the kid a lot — but I’m not even considering him for the 1st round pick. I’m not considering any WR in this draft at pick 13. I just see him as a guy to keep in the mix in round 2. If he’s there, and we haven’t otherwise addressed the WR position, I’d take him over most/all the WR prospects in this draft. 

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

I only posted the highlight film for the limited purpose of showing that his game has very little in common with Jamison Crowder’s.

I’m happy to go back and check out some film with an eye on evaluating your take on his techniques. I would suggest it’s a little unfair to compare Moore as a 20-year-old junior in college to the Garçon we saw in his 5th season and beyond in the NFL. When Garçon was 20, he was a sophomore at Mt Union, putting up numbers fairly comparable to Moore’s despite the fact that he was playing against exclusively kids who have to pay for the opportunity to continue playing football after high school. Garçon didn’t even get on the field in the NFL until he was 23, so I think it’s relatively understandable that Moore may need some additional coaching and polish to get his technique up to high-end NFL standards. 

The rest of it (the cherry picked games against good teams where he didn’t get much done) doesn’t mean much to me. He wasn’t able to pile up catches against teams with far superior talent who knew he was MD’s only competent receiver and rolled coverage on him all day long? With Max Bortenschlager and some walk-on who came to MD because his little brother got a scholarship as the QB? That’s who was playing QB in the Michigan game you cited, some tiny kid who looked like he won a sweepstakes to get to be there. 

Almost all top college receivers on limited offenses have down games against great teams who have deep talent on defense. Look at Michael Thomas (3 for 34 yards against Penn State, 2 for 8 yards against Michigan State, 2 for 50 yards against Michigan). Or Odell Beckham (5 for 59 yards against Auburn, 2 for 47 yards against Florida, 3 for 42 yards against Alabama). Or Juju Smith-Schuster (1 for 9 yards against Alabama, 3 for 34 yards against Stanford, 3 for 41 yards against Washington).

All of them are top young receivers in the league right now, but they put up a lot of duds against good teams in their final seasons. And they did it with JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Zach Mettenberger, and Sam Darnold throwing them the ball. So no, I’m not the least bit worried about Moore having some quiet games against far superior teams. Especially not when he had grave incompetence at QB in those games. 

All that said, I like the kid a lot — but I’m not even considering him for the 1st round pick. I’m not considering any WR in this draft at pick 13. I just see him as a guy to keep in the mix in round 2. If he’s there, and we haven’t otherwise addressed the WR position, I’d take him over most/all the WR prospects in this draft. 

Fair enough. Could he be the next Steve Smith? Sure. Could he also be the next Marquise Goodwin? Sure. From what I have watched, I don't see a Steve Smith, but its subjective. Do I think that he could be a good fit here? Very difficult for me to see this because thsi team has absolutely no vision for the future. 

Archived