Hercules Mata’afa--thoughts

kurgan

Interesting article on Depot about Mata'afa.  

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/2018-nfl-draft-player-profiles-washington-state-dl-hercules-mataafa/

I am really interested in what everyone thinks.  I have seen him play some, and I am impressed with some of his talents.  He is a great penetrator and a TFL loss machine as a pure disrupter.  Played all along the Dline, but was a master as a A and B gap slasher.  Not really translatable to the NFL, but there is some stuff that is...

Some want to make him an Edge, but his measureables do not support that.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/hercules-mataafa

Sooooo.... what about a 3-4 OLB??  Can he make the transition??  Would that be a viable transition??  What about even a ILB??  Or even a nickel inside DT guy beside the other DT to rush the passer and run stunts??

Would you take him with the second 5th round pick as a project player?? 

Yeah he is a tough evaluation.  I don’t know if his game translates like you said.  I watched a little on him.  I would take a late round chance on him as a ST guy with the hopes he could play ILB.  Kinda reminds me of Rosey Nix’s story.

Numbers lie but Film doesn't lie.  Example:

PlayerA: 4.84 40 yard dash, 33" Vert, 19 Bench

Mata'afa: 4.76 40 yard dash, 31.5 Vert, 26 Bench

Player A has been a painful thorn in the Steelers heel since he was drafted.  He is a ferocious player that has great hand fight ability and a great motor.  Sometimes analysts put too much stock in  metrics.  I mean, yeah you don't play a Safety that runs a 4.8 in Single high coverage.  Mata'afa has a 1.64 10 yard split which ties him with Bradley Chubb (for those that like numbers).

16 hours ago, kurgan said:

Interesting article on Depot about Mata'afa.  

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/2018-nfl-draft-player-profiles-washington-state-dl-hercules-mataafa/

I am really interested in what everyone thinks.  I have seen him play some, and I am impressed with some of his talents.  He is a great penetrator and a TFL loss machine as a pure disrupter.  Played all along the Dline, but was a master as a A and B gap slasher.  Not really translatable to the NFL, but there is some stuff that is...

With a player like Herc, you have to be creative and be willing to invest in him transitioning to the next level.  I see him as a two down ILB.  I think his ability to take on and disengage larger OL's translates into that Thumper role in the 3-4.  He may not be the best at flowing from sideline to sideline but, his ability to blitz and get up field is  a plus in the defense.  Someone did a post on him last month and I was intrigued by the name and how they described him.  I started looking at some of his games and highlights and he is a hardworking "tough guy."

Some want to make him an Edge, but his measureables do not support that.

I agree.  His strength is penetrating, so he can have a similar effect blitzing as Williams did this season.  I think he may actually even have a higher ceiling than Williams as far as being able to blitz and stuff the run. Strictly opinion and an if.  I say that because he would have to obviously convert and learn ILB, but also that Williams has been in the league now and we pretty much know his ceiling.  I think Herc can be a heck of a two down ILB.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/hercules-mataafa

Sooooo.... what about a 3-4 OLB?? 

Nope. ILB

Can he make the transition?? 

Purely my opinion, but yes.

Would that be a viable transition??  What about even a ILB?? 

Yes and definitely, ILB.

Or even a nickel inside DT guy beside the other DT to rush the passer and run stunts??

Too small and would get consumed by today's 330 LB road graders. Ask Javon Hargraves about this one.

Would you take him with the second 5th round pick as a project player?? 

Based on the measurable numbers I think that round 5 would be a great spot for him.  I think he ends up playing like a high draft choice in the right system/team.

I like the guy. I like his motor.  Again, I don't always like the obvious sexy picks/players, give me some hard workers who can become  strong core players on your team.  This is what happened with Mike Vrabel.  He didn't meet the numbers as an edge guy, but he could rush.  The Pats converted him to an ILB and because he was a decent athlete and hard worker, he made the transition. Herc isn't the athlete, but looks like he has the same drive and fire.

Archived