Over Under- Sacks between Orakpo/Morgan

KingTitan

I think one of our biggest question is the pass rush of our defense. 
So many felt that our pass rush wasn't as good as the numbers said last year. 

Do you think the hopefully improved secondary will lead to more sacks between the two main LBs?

I think between the two of them, we could see about 15-19 sacks.

What you think?

I think anywhere from 17-21 seems more reasonable. What's supposed to be an improved secondary should give them more time to get to the QB. Maybe it's just me but I thought the Walden signing was huge. He will provide depth so that Rak and Morgan are more fresh towards the end of the game and if the season is going our way, we should be playing with the lead late in a lot of games giving them more opportunities. I could see Rak having a 10+ sack season with Morgan at around 8-9. I know I'm not as high on Dodd but if he's healthy and can play like he did in the Detroit game last year, that's another OLB who can help take the pressure off the starting two. I just think the Walden signing is huge. Obviously he's not an 11 sack guy like last year but I could see 4-6 sacks in a limited role.

Last year they combined for 19.5. I'd probably put the O/U right at that number. There's the thought that Walden may take reps away (which I have my doubts about), but in theory, if the secondary is actually improved, the opportunities to get to the quarterback should be higher. Morgan has had an insane amount of almost sacks over the course of his career (though he finally got some actual sacks last year), hopefully the chances to actually finish on the quarterback increase as they are, theoretically, forced to hold onto the football longer.

Archived