Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve stated several times that I’d be ok if we draft mayfield he’s just 3rd on my list of QBs (1.Rosen 2.Darnold). I want to talk about outside of his play. Watched a video on YouTube yesterday that stated how teams should be more worried about his attitude then anyone is saying. And this is really my main issue with him besides size. The main thing it points to is how he has apologized several times for things and says things like that won’t happen again, yet they do. Why should any team magically think this changes the day he gets drafted? In te new nfl, his antics on the league will face suspensions frequently. Bringing attention to the team that no staff or teammates want. His arrest alone wouldn’t big time worry me bc it’s not uncommon to get a PI in college. But him running from cops is worrisome. And for me one of the biggest parts of this is how little he “actually” cares. If he cared he wouldn’t be making headlines for this stuff. He apologizes but continues to do things. Which negates the apology. Throughout this whole process he has continuously said he will not change who he is. Which imo is to polar opposite answer he needs to be giving  and showing. With his arrest and antics he needs to change who he is 100%. And the fact that he shows 0 want to do that is big time worrisome. Let’s remwber this was a kid that had recruitment issues bc of his attitude. He says he has a chip on his shoulder. And I get that. But why is there a chip there? He played for one of the best high school football teams in Texas (the US). It’s not like he wasn’t noticed. He received 0 scholarship offers. Only team that commented on this was TCU. And that was only bc like an immature kid Mayfield blamed Patterson for ruining his recruitment by saying he was cocky and his parents were an issue as well. I highly doubt hundreds of teams just took Patterson’s words and never cared to see him. No they met with him and saw exactly what Patterson saw and wanted nothing to do with him. Hence why he wakes on a TTU. He also displayed this cockiness and attitude at TTU which along with Mahomes coming in led to not getting a scholarship. Once again his cockiness holding him back, but like an immature kid he blames TTU just like Patterson and TCU in high school. He’s displayed no maturity since all of this. In fact he’s even more cocky now and has an arrest to go along with it while running from the cops.

I’ll cheer for whoever we draft at QB at 3 and based on skill Mayfield is very possibly best suited for that pick. But we cannot act like his cockiness and all isn’t a factor or an issue.

-Not true that he didn't receive scholarship offers.  He received three, including one from Washington State, but he wanted to stay close to home. 

On Sirius NFL channel yesterday, a comparison was made on the reaction players and coaches have to Mayfield and Rosen. 

When players are asked about Mayfield,  it's noted how positively they react.  In contrast to Rosen,  his H C keeps taking shots at him. Kiwan and Miller had a good laugh about the response they got from the current coach when asked about him is that his emphasis was he was always on time.Not exactly a glowing review.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I generally agree with this. But if he’s our QB I have to cheer for him.

I'm cheering for the Jets because I'm a Jets fan. Doesn't mean I have to like or agree the selection. I'd hope that he proves me wrong, but I don't agree with the fit at all. 

15 minutes ago, Harris Smith said:

On Sirius NFL channel yesterday, a comparison was made on the reaction players and coaches have to Mayfield and Rosen. 

When players are asked about Mayfield,  it's noted how positively they react.  In contrast to Rosen,  his H C keeps taking shots at him. Kiwan and Miller had a good laugh about the response they got from the current coach when asked about him is that his emphasis was he was always on time.Not exactly a glowing review.

I think it's easy for 18, 19, 20 year old players to connect with Mayfield. While I will not compare them as players, Manziel was beloved by his teammates as well. 

I'm sure Mayfield's teammates will like him in the NFL, as did Sanchez's and many before them. I want the guy who's more talented and doesn't bring attention to himself. I was extremely critical of Josh Rosen before the season, but he proved me wrong this year. He gets it. He'll earn the respect of his teammates with his play over time... doesn't need to be the "rah rah" type. We have that in Jamal Adams. I prefer the calm, cool, collected guy on offense. That's the opposite of Mayfield. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

So you think his cockiness, attitude and arrest isn’t worrisome at all?

Not what i'm saying.  I'm saying the scholarship didn't tie into cockiness.  I'm not concerned about the arrest.  It's a bad look, don't get me wrong, but we all have friends who have done dumb stuff while drunk.  Not excusing it, but I don't think it's a recurring issue type of thing.  I do think he's immature, but I do think he's smart enough to know when he messed up.  He's a great teammate and if he gets flagged for something stupid, I think he's the type that'll realize that he let his teammates down, which will bother him and hopefully prevent him from doing it again.  I also think Bowles is generally good at holding people accountable for their actions as well.  

He may change do to him just getting older and maturing. However, he is 23 years old. So,  you can't say he is young. My own personal opinion is that 25 is about the age when men are fully mature (mentally and physically). So, he is essentially the person he is going to be. If you are drafting him with the expectations he is going to change, than you are drafting the wrong guy. It's like expecting a guy to all of a sudden up his field vision or accuracy, when he gets to the NFL. These guys are who they are. 

I don't really see him having criminal type issues. His risk is more that he becomes a player like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson. Guys that worked hard, but caused unnecessary issues. Those guys never got into issues off the field (at least I don't recall any) but, as great a player as Owens was, he spent time with 3 teams during his prime. 

So Mayfield's personality carries risk. You have to draft him knowing that.

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I do think he's immature, but I do think he's smart enough to know when he messed up.

He's the oldest QB out of the bunch and has made the headlines for all the wrong reasons more than the others. He's a "me" player, which I don't like. 

Rosen made a few mistakes and he corrected them. He's only 21. When I see that, his competitiveness on the field (find me a QB that took a beating more than he did this year), the transition into a pro-style offense, the football IQ, his growth as a person, and his superior talent level, that's the guy I want. I get some coaches don't like that he can seem like a smart ***, but I think we have the right roster and coaching in place to put him in his place. Mayfield is a guy who has gone on record saying he needed to "be him self" in order to perform and it's why he broke out at Oklahoma as opposed to Texas Tech, where he was more dialed down. That's a scary thought. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

My own personal opinion is that 25 is about the age when men are fully mature (mentally and physically).

Man I hope you're wrong. I'm 26 and more immature now then I was at 23 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He's the oldest QB out of the bunch and has made the headlines for all the wrong reasons more than the others. He's a "me" player, which I don't like. 

Rosen made a few mistakes and he corrected them. He's only 21. When I see that, his competitiveness on the field (find me a QB that took a beating more than he did this year), the transition into a pro-style offense, the football IQ, his growth as a person, and his superior talent level, that's the guy I want. I get some coaches don't like that he can seem like a smart ***, but I think we have the right roster and coaching in place to put him in his place. Mayfield is a guy who has gone on record saying he needed to "be him self" in order to perform and it's why he broke out at Oklahoma as opposed to Texas Tech, where he was more dialed down. That's a scary thought. 

Man I hope you're wrong. I'm 26 and more immature now then I was at 23 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How is he a "me" player?  

27 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Is this in response to me?  Initially, he wanted to so he went to TTU.  He also knew Michael Brewer.  

TTU is also pretty far from Central Texas. You can probably get to OU quicker than you can to TTU. Either way, both are much closer than Washington State. The fact that you can drive to both, puts them in the close to home category.

He did go to a pretty legit HS and he was a 3 star recruit. So, he had plenty of exposure. HS football is crazy in Texas. And his team won a state championship while he was there.

Archived