In 2017 Redskins lead league in injuries, finish last in Adjusted Games Lost

HTTRDynasty

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m glad they are trying new ideas to help players with recovery like Swearinger asked for several times during the season. Still though, these players need to do more on their own time to recover and stay ready for games. There are things they can do weekly during the season to help them recover that some of the best players in the NFL are doing that I’m not sure our players are doing.

At the same time, the training staff's job is to assist the players. This is what they study.

Putting that on the players (who may not be up on the best nutritional plans, recovery ideas) is a bit unfair. Also, a tad surprising coming from you, turtle. I don't mean that in a confrontational way; you tend to have the players' backs (again, not a criticism, just a comment).

Keep in mind that this metric could lead to misleading conclusions as it doesn’t measure the impact of what position was injured nor the specific Games or series of games impacted. .

For instance at the start of the season up to about the 8th game we were 3-4 and o-3 in our division.

Most of our injuries hit later in the year and it can be argued didn’t impact the final record negatively.

Also who is injured may be more important. A quarterback injury is far more important than a WR or lineman. In some cases I can succussfuly argue an injury to a subpar veteran who our dummy coaches kept playing actually improved the team when a younger better player received playing time. 

9 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Also who is injured may be more important. A quarterback injury is far more important than a WR or lineman. In some cases I can succussfuly argue an injury to a subpar veteran who our dummy coaches kept playing actually improved the team when a younger better player received playing time. 

I'd argue our two biggest losses were Jonathan Allen and Mason Foster. The defense kind of fell part after they went down.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:59 PM, Woz said:

At the same time, the training staff's job is to assist the players. This is what they study.

Putting that on the players (who may not be up on the best nutritional plans, recovery ideas) is a bit unfair. Also, a tad surprising coming from you, turtle. I don't mean that in a confrontational way; you tend to have the players' backs (again, not a criticism, just a comment).

I’m just saying, there are players on other teams that hire chefs, hire personal trainers, go to have massages, chiropractors and do even different things than that after every game like that Cyr o chamber on their own. Obviously, Swearinger didn’t see players on the Redskins doing that on their own, which was a frustration of his because they weren’t taking extra steps during the season to take care of their bodies to have a better chance of making it healthy all the way through the season.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:34 AM, Woz said:

I'd argue our two biggest losses were Jonathan Allen and Mason Foster. The defense kind of fell part after they went down.

Norman and Nicholson too. Allen & Norman both went down in the Chiefs game which attributed to us losing to them because we had trouble stopping their offense and a lot offenses after that.

Norman was never the same the rest of the season after breaking his ribs vs the Chiefs that night and obviously as you said losing Allen and Foster - two key cogs in our run defense - hurt our defense the rest of the season.

Lastly, Nicholson at FS was incredibly important to our defense and coverage on the back end. When he was on the field - and not out bc of his shoulder or concussion - our pass defense was much better because of his range and ability to read what the offense was going to do downfield and make plays on the ball or hit the receiver before they could make the catch.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:01 PM, turtle28 said:

Obviously, Swearinger didn’t see players on the Redskins doing that on their own, which was a frustration of his because they weren’t taking extra steps during the season to take care of their bodies to have a better chance of making it healthy all the way through the season.

That kind of speaks to the culture that has grown up in Ashburn.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:27 AM, Woz said:

That kind of speaks to the culture that has grown up in Ashburn.

Yes, and Swearinger isn’t the first to speak about it. Another player who played till he was nearly 40 - Phillip Daniels - used to talk about the same things most of last decade vs what the other teams he played for did to help players recover and what players on other teams did on their own time. Daniels lasted 15 years in the NFL as a run stopping DL for a reason, he took care of his body and he wasn’t shy about when teammates didn’t or when the he felt the organization wasn’t doing enough. Then again, I don’t remember Daniels doing much yapping to the media unlike Swearinger who apparently can’t keep his trap shut.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, and Swearinger isn’t the first to speak about it. Another player who played till he was nearly 40 - Phillip Daniels - used to talk about the same things most of last decade vs what the other teams he played for did to help players recover and what players on other teams did on their own time. Daniels lasted 15 years in the NFL as a run stopping DL for a reason, he took care of his body and he wasn’t shy about when teammates didn’t or when the he felt the organization wasn’t doing enough. Then again, I don’t remember Daniels doing much yapping to the media unlike Swearinger who apparently can’t keep his trap shut.

Yeah. On one hand, I absolutely agree with DJ (and Daniels). And am saying "Yes, go!!"

OTOH, this is the kind of thing you keep in-house. Its a failing of social media for athletes that it allows them to say publicly what they should only say privately (or not at all). And a quick, stupid comment made verbally that is correctly almost instantly can be blown up on social media if tweeted out. The internet is forever and whatever you put out there will be instantly archived.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, and Swearinger isn’t the first to speak about it. Another player who played till he was nearly 40 - Phillip Daniels - used to talk about the same things most of last decade vs what the other teams he played for did to help players recover and what players on other teams did on their own time.

While it's good that Swearinger is trying to fight it, the fact that he's fighting a fight that a guy who played almost a decade ago fought means that it goes deeper into the culture of the team. I applaud Swearinger for speaking up, but there's almost nothing he can do when it is that pervasive.

Then again, I don’t remember Daniels doing much yapping to the media unlike Swearinger who apparently can’t keep his trap shut.

Daniels didn't grow up in the social media era, and only at the end of his career did it really exist as a platform for players.

Swearinger, on the other hand, did and he used his platform to try and shame/correct his teammates. Again, that won't work because of what Snyder has created/allowed to fester in terms of culture.

Fixing this would require multiple years of heavy investment from the ownership on down, and would likely require a lot of personnel (both on and off the field) to be replaced in order to change the ship of state.

I think it’s obvious I agree with @Woz & @Thaiphoon here. I don’t think Swearinger should be airing his dirty laundry on social media either. It does himself no favors from the front office or from a teammates where he claims to be a leader but I wonder if the DL would vote for him as captain now... 

He’s right in what he’s saying, but this should stay in house 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s obvious I agree with @Woz & @Thaiphoon here. I don’t think Swearinger should be airing his dirty laundry on social media either. It does himself no favors from the front office or from a teammates where he claims to be a leader but I wonder if the DL would vote for him as captain now... 

He’s right in what he’s saying, but this should stay in house 

o.O

I didn't say that he shouldn't air this out. I just gave a reason why he was.

Personally, it bothers me less since the team could use a little more public shaming. Keep in mind, from a culture perspective, Jay Gruden is partially responsible. While I haven't agreed with @Doc Draper's assertions about being "spa time" with practices, things like this don't help prove Doc wrong.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

o.O

I didn't say that he shouldn't air this out. I just gave a reason why he was.

Personally, it bothers me less since the team could use a little more public shaming. Keep in mind, from a culture perspective, Jay Gruden is partially responsible. While I haven't agreed with @Doc Draper's assertions about being "spa time" with practices, things like this don't help prove Doc wrong.

I don’t care that Swearinger says bad things about the organization, but I do think it’s rather stupid to do it on twitter. I also never agree with any player saying the teams needs to address another position more than his position group, that’s not his place. A team leader should be smart enough to say things like “I need to play better first, that’s on me and we as a team needs to play better as whole.” 

Swearinger came off as a little RG3 like with what he said about the DL in his tweet - again, there’s an obvious reason he deleted the tweet - like back when RG3 put blame on the OL after the Tampa lost and Gruden’s ripped him publicly when asked about it.

Just keep those types of things in house.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Swearinger came off as a little RG3 like with what he said about the DL in his tweet - again, there’s an obvious reason he deleted the tweet - like back when RG3 put blame on the OL after the Tampa lost and Gruden’s ripped him publicly when asked about it.

Just keep those types of things in house.

Has keeping it in house helped? I don't know if public airing of laundry helps, but just doing it quietly hasn't changed how the team has acted.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Has keeping it in house helped? I don't know if public airing of laundry helps, but just doing it quietly hasn't changed how the team has acted.

Do we know that anyone has ever talked to them in house? Or do we just think Swearinger is an attention magnet who goes to the media and twitter to air his grievances? His History answers that question.

Do we know that anyone has ever talked to them in house? Or do we just think Swearinger is an attention magnet who goes to the media and twitter to air his grievances? His History answers that question.

I got to believe that this has been addressed by other players if Swearinger didn't do it himself.

Again, there's no penalty or expectation for them to do the "right thing" in their offseason workouts, so why are we blaming the guy who is calling them out?

Archived