Where does Ohio States 2016 Secondary Rank?

RaidersAreOne

Man oh man. I was just thinking about the freaking talent they had a couple seasons ago in that Secondary.

Lattimore - Top 15 pick

Hooker - Top 15 pick

Conley - Top 25 pick, top 15 talent. Fell due to false allegations

Ward - Likely top 10 pick

I do not follow college very closely so I am genuinely curious how does this secondary stack up vs. others in recent history (or ever)? Has there been a more loaded group who made it to the NFL from the same program at the same time?

One of the best of all-time. Plus they play man coverage 90% of the time, which is extremely rare to see in college. That secondary the last few years has been amazing. And IIRC, none of these dudes were the super elite DB prospects coming out of college. OSU's DB coaches deserve a lot of credit for developing these guys year in and year out. And there are going to be new stars there next year. I forget his name, but they played a corner in place of Ward in the bowl game that looked like a stud in the making.

It is obviously a little too early to tell.  Yes Lattimore is a potential star in the NFL but not sold on the others quite yet.  And generally speaking if I was to say the best CBs or DBs I have ever seen watching college football, I would not say any of these Ohio State guys listed are top 10 I have ever seen play.  Good group sure but jury is still out on Conley, Hooker and Ward.  In terms of overall depth I would say there are more talented groups than this one, and sure some were very high picks but that is because DB is at an absolute premium in the NFL right now.  Ultimately does depend on how great they are in the NFL, and I think people just assume Ward will be great just because Lattimore was last year.  Lattimore is a little more thick than Ward, both very smooth in coverage but I think Lattimore has a stronger base and is potentially a better tackler as well.  But yeah sure in time it will answer itself.  

Alabama 2016 - Could argue they are better than that 2016 Ohio State group, even with Eddie Jackson missing most of that season the group was outstanding.  I would take Humphrey over Conley, Fitzpatrick over Hooker and the depth they had beats Ohio State and that group.  

Marlon Humphrey

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Eddie Jackson

Ronnie Harrison

Anthony Averett

Tony Brown

Miami Hurricanes 2001- Sean Taylor only played a little with them but still, Ed Reed is a Hall of Famer and that CB group was extremely solid.

Ed Reed

Antrel Rolle

Phillip Buchanon

Sean Taylor

Mike Rumph

Kelly Jennings

Maurice Sikes

Ohio State 1998 - The corner group with Winfield and Plummer is as good as any and those safeties were talented players in their own right but did not do great in the NFL.

Antonie Winfield

Ahmed Plummer

Nate Clements

Gary Berry

Damon Moore

Ohio State 2002 - Arguably better than that other Ohio State group in 1998, Mike Doss was a great player and Chris Gamble really made a difference at corner.

Mike Doss

Chris Gamble

Dustin Fox

Nate Salley

Will Allen

Donnie Nickey

LSU 2003 - Only Landry really turned out great in the NFL, but they were super deep and talented for sure with a ton of quality players on one defensive backfield.  

LaRon Landry

Corey Webster

Travis Daniels

Randall Gay

Jessie Daniels

Ronnie Prude 

Jonathan Zenon  

Archived