Jordan Reed has "procedure done on his toes"

Woz

On 4/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, turtle28 said:

I hope this fixes his issues, he gets healthy and gets back to the player he was in 2015 when he had 96 receptions, 1072 yards and 12 TDs in 15 games (including the playoff game vs GB).

The Redskins should approach this as if there is no fix, only mitigation strategies.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

The Redskins should approach this as if there is no fix, only mitigation strategies.

Meaning what? They should draft a TE bc we can’t rely on Reed to stay healthy. At this point, I just don’t know what they can do except do just what I said and hope Reed stays healthy and returns to his 2015 form when he had 96 recs, 1072 yds and 12 TDs.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Meaning what? They should draft a TE bc we can’t rely on Reed to stay healthy. At this point, I just don’t know what they can do except do just what I said and hope Reed stays healthy and returns to his 2015 form when he had 96 recs, 1072 yds and 12 TDs.

Meaning that they should assume that the Reed will continue to miss 30-40% of games per season and that Vernon Davis, while a decent stop gap for a year or two, is 34.

So, yes, they should be considering a long term receiving TE replacement for Reed and do it soon. I would argue they should do it this year, if they had a full complement of picks.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

Meaning that they should assume that the Reed will continue to miss 30-40% of games per season and that Vernon Davis, while a decent stop gap for a year or two, is 34.

So, yes, they should be considering a long term receiving TE replacement for Reed and do it soon. I would argue they should do it this year, if they had a full complement of picks.

Well that’s true. Hoping in one thing, actually believing it is another.  I would say that the next TE we draft is more likely Davis’s replacement or that Sprinkle will develop into Davis’s replacement. I don’t know that you replace a Jordan Reed very easily and what he can do. Certainly though if he can’t stay healthy this year they’re going to have to make a decision on keeping him even though they can’t rely on him or drafting his replacement too. I think they can wait until next year bc they have all those comp picks. xD:D;)

Just now, turtle28 said:

I would say that the next TE we draft is more likely Davis’s replacement or that Sprinkle will develop into Davis’s replacement.

Maybe it was due to lack of chances, but I didn't see much from Sprinkle last year that made me think he's anything more than a depth guy.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t know that you replace a Jordan Reed very easily and what he can do. Certainly though if he can’t stay healthy this year they’re going to have to make a decision on keeping him even though they can’t rely on him or drafting his replacement too.

Understandable, but a wise front office would be analyzing the draft to see if there is someone they could get that would potentially fit (that kid from Indiana perhaps?).

Just now, turtle28 said:

I think they can wait until next year bc they have all those comp picks. xD:D;)

Remember, you never want to go into a draft with a position you have to fill. Look ahead.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Maybe it was due to lack of chances, but I didn't see much from Sprinkle last year that made me think he's anything more than a depth guy.

Understandable, but a wise front office would be analyzing the draft to see if there is someone they could get that would potentially fit (that kid from Indiana perhaps?).

Remember, you never want to go into a draft with a position you have to fill. Look ahead.

Sprinkle didn’t show much because he was developing last year and he was 4th on the depth chart behind Reed, Davis and Paul. I think he was only active about half of the games. I think he’ll show more this year, particularly as an inline blocker.

I understand they don’t want to go into any draft with a definite need you have to fill but that’s not always avoidable. They have 3 TEs on the roster, I think it’s unlikely they draft a 4th unless someone falls to them in the late rounds they didn’t expect to fall. The one guy I would draft in round 5 or 6 if he’s still there is Troy Fumagalli from Wisconsin, he’s a really good receiver and a decent blocker.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sprinkle didn’t show much because he was developing last year and he was 4th on the depth chart behind Reed, Davis and Paul. I think he was only active about half of the games. I think he’ll show more this year, particularly as an inline blocker.

I understand they don’t want to go into any draft with a definite need you have to fill but that’s not always avoidable. They have 3 TEs on the roster, I think it’s unlikely they draft a 4th unless someone falls to them in the late rounds they didn’t expect to fall. The one guy I would draft in round 5 or 6 if he’s still there is Troy Fumagalli from Wisconsin, he’s a really good receiver and a decent blocker.

My response here is somewhat similar to my comment in the free agency thread: focus on the passing game.

A receiving tight end that can block is a great thing. A receiving tight end that cannot block can still be a good-to-great thing. A blocking tight end that cannot catch is roster waste. Maybe Sprinkle will turn it around, but that's putting a lot of hope in a guy.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

My response here is somewhat similar to my comment in the free agency thread: focus on the passing game.

A receiving tight end that can block is a great thing. A receiving tight end that cannot block can still be a good-to-great thing. A blocking tight end that cannot catch is roster waste. Maybe Sprinkle will turn it around, but that's putting a lot of hope in a guy.

Sprinkle can catch, he did catch a TD pass last year in a goal line situation against New Orleans.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sprinkle can catch, he did catch a TD pass last year in a goal line situation against New Orleans.

A goal line TD, while nice, does not really denote the TE is a "receiving tight end."

Just now, Woz said:

That remains to be seen in the NFL.

True, but most of the time if a TE is catching around 30 passes in college that will translate into at least that much in the nfl or more considering the nfl plays 3 to 5 more games in a season.

Archived