Paul Guenther

Humble_Beast

He's a good DC but he changed from his first season as DC.  The problem is I don't know how much of that is Marvin's doing.  There are three main issues that I had with the defense last season, and two of them I put squarely on Marvin, not Guenther:

1. We got away from blitzing.  We were a heavy 3rd down blitzing team his first season.  Last season, I think we blitzed the least of any team in the NFL.  I place the blame on Marvin. Guenther started out aggressive with double A-gap blitzes, corner blitzes, delayed safety blitzes, etc...  He was creative and was able to manufacture pressure.  Then he got completely away from it and it was 100% dependent on Geno, Dunlap, and lately Lawson to apply pressure.  If not we sucked at getting pressure.
  2. Personnel decisions.  Again I put this squarely on Marvin Lewis.  Michael Johnson had no reason to play as many snaps as he did with Lawson, Willis, and Chris Smith on the roster.  Also WJIII and Dennard played behind an inferior Kirkpatrick.
  3. We suck at defending hurry up offenses.  This one I do place the blame on Guenther.  When teams got into the hurry up, or when they were in a scripted first drive of the half offense our defense sucked.  Teams ran right over us.  Guenther needs to trust his guys and get them to play smarter without needing to wait for delayed calls from the sidelines.  We suck on both offense and defense with getting play calls in quickly.  So while I do blame Guenther, this again is partly Marvin's fault as both offense and defense has a problem with getting calls in a timely manner.

Overall though, I like Guenther.  Hopefully Gruden will trust him to call "his" defense and not interfere too much like Marvin did...

My biggest complaint with Guenther is he does not like playing his CBs at the line. We never pressed and let WRs get clean breaks nearly every time. It sets your pass rushers up to fail as the QB can easily get rid of the ball early because the WR is instantly open. 

He took over for Zimmer when he went to Minnesota. MZ was pretty successful, but Guenther not as much. By last year, our run defense was weak and pass rush was good at times but inconsistent. Our coverage was usually pretty good. 

So he's definitely a step down from Zimmer and maybe Austin too. I don't think anyone in Cincy is worried about losing him.

Archived