Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

No. I was just wondering what you might be implying lol

I just don't think he's very good as a prospect. I'd rather see foote or even Clarke come up (assuming that they are going to be moved into the nhl. If this is just to fill taxi role and he never plays, then this makes sense)

Just now, Forge said:

I just don't think he's very good as a prospect. I'd rather see foote or even Clarke come up (assuming that they are going to be moved into the nhl. If this is just to fill taxi role and he never plays, then this makes sense)

Eh, let Foote and Clarke keep playing top line minutes in Bingo. We're getting Nico back so our top 3 lines are already crowded and I don't want either of those guys on the 4th line.

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Hughes-Sharangovich
Wood-Boqvist-Thompson
Johnson-McLeod-Bastian (Merkley for now, then the 13th forward between him and Maltsev)

Studenic is one of the best Devils prospects that you've never heard of. A late-round pick with a good-not-great statistical profile, Studenic brings some really nice qualities to the table that might elude a boxscore scout.

The way Studenic carries the puck up-ice, accelerating through a crossover weave skating pattern, and with a clear separating gear allows him to create rush opportunities with ease. The way Studenic sets these rushes up with dotted-line use and a wide array of rush patterns -- it's all based on such strong, sustainable habits.

It's artful to watch, really. Studenic keeps his shoulders stable and relies on 45-degree edge contact to power his way around flat-footed defenders while in the weave. Puck-handling blends into skating to grant him large-ice maneuverability, and he keeps the puck to his side as he darts past unsuspecting defenders, away from harm's reach. Studenic shows some really crafty body manipulations and uses the toe drag effectively.

Combined with crafty off of the puck maneuvering in the offensive zone, not to mention a great sense of timing -- Studenic produced a high volume of shots at the AHL level and seemed to convert on a really high number of his chances.

The only question for our staff -- Daniel Gee in particular, who did much of the crossover scouting work on this file -- is why Studenic didn't play more often. The data that we got from our partners at InStat had Studenic only playing about 13 minutes a night -- this helps explain his pedestrian statistical profile.

In fairness to the Devils organization, it's not like Studenic is lighting up the Slovakian professional league playing for HC Slovan Bratislava on loan this season. Maybe there's something to his usage or the lack thereof?

We're not quite ready to go to bat for Studenic as a full-time NHLer any time soon, but there are some really nice qualities to his game that could translate into a bottom-six energy role in the big leagues.

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I was into him a couple of years ago, but doesn't seem like he ever went anywhere. It's like he just never figured it out. 

One of those guys who is like "number 9 with a bullet!" When he first goes on the rankings but two years later hasn't passed anyone and has gotten passed up by several others in the meantime

Just now, Forge said:

I was into him a couple of years ago, but doesn't seem like he ever went anywhere. It's like he just never figured it out. 

One of those guys who is like "number 9 with a bullet!" When he first goes on the rankings but two years later hasn't passed anyone and has gotten passed up by several others in the meantime

I feel ya. I wonder if he'd be someone used as a flier in a deal. He's got skill but it never clicked here. Worst thing that comes from it is that we only got a legit AHL call-up type out of a 5th rounder. He's decent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Vats on waivers.

He's definitely getting dealt for something. Putting him on waivers lowers his cap hit a bit and makes him taxi squad eligible for his new team.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

We better claim Mete. 

You'd think but I think there's some merit to the idea that there's some kind of unwritten agreement that teams aren't claiming guys this year. I know Dell and a few others shuffled around early but waivers has practically died since.