Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm honestly somewhat shocked that we aren't going to make a preemptive ED move with a team like the blues or Carolina who may have to expose bean and Dunn. We are really going to protect Siegenthaler and subban lol

Still 2 days but I'm not too shocked. If anything, we'll retain money for a draft pick. I wasn't expecting anything huge. Really think Fitzy believes in our core group and I do as well.

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Still 2 days but I'm not too shocked. If anything, we'll retain money for a draft pick. I wasn't expecting anything huge. Really think Fitzy believes in our core group and I do as well.

I wouldn't expect us to do anything in the final two days. Seems like teams are also unwilling to trade off parts pre ED. Its like people are just willing to lose whatever they are going to lose and move on. 

Man, just thinking about how our prospect pool would look had 2020 played out differently. Canucks pick gets pushed back to 2021 and Arizona's pick stays top 11 rather than falling to 18 (though we still managed Mercer there so it's not all losing). We also, for the sake of this argument, stay at 6.

1.6 - Jamie Drysdale
1.11 - Yaroslav Askarov or Seth Jarvis (perhaps even still Holtz)

1.4 - Luke Hughes (or Simon Edvinsson considering the pairing with Drysdale)
1.9 - Jesper Wallstedt, Brandt Clarke, Kent Johnson

• Like 1

New Jersey Devils: Luke Hughes, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

I’m sure some will roll their eyes at this one, which would unite Luke with his brother Jack Hughes. The Devils are somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place if their preference is someone else at No. 4. People around the league think this will be either Luke Hughes, Guenther or Simon Edvinsson as I am not hearing this is 100 percent Hughes.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pronman.

I'm like 96% sure it's Hughes, but I've never considered Guenther at all

Yeah, Guenther seems redundant. We have a plethora of potential top 6 right hand shot wingers in the system. Eklund would 100% make more sense considering the lack of top end left hand shots in the system. Foote is the best in the system and his upside may be middle 6 by the end of his development.

If we waste our shot at a top pair defensemen to take goal scoring, I'm gonna be a bit pissed. Rather go Hughes, Clarke or even Edvinsson at 4 and then take a goal scorer at 29.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, Guenther seems redundant. We have a plethora of potential top 6 right hand shot wingers in the system. Eklund would 100% make more sense considering the lack of top end left hand shots in the system. Foote is the best in the system and his upside may be middle 6 by the end of his development.

If we waste our shot at a top pair defensemen to take goal scoring, I'm gonna be a bit pissed. Rather go Hughes, Clarke or even Edvinsson at 4 and then take a goal scorer at 29.

Definitely seems to me that if we were searching for an elite trait later in the first round, there would be a better shot at getting a good goal scorer with question marks elsewhere

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Definitely seems to me that if we were searching for an elite trait later in the first round, there would be a better shot at getting a good goal scorer with question marks elsewhere

Exactly. Especially with a shot at someone like Isak Rosen potentially falling or someone like Matthew Coronato being around. The variance in this draft is going to provide specific targets at certain picks. We cannot afford to pass up on a dman at 4. 

• Like 1

LIS, if we do the unthinkable and pass on a dman for a forward, it better be Eklund. I wouldn't even want Beniers tbqh. He's redundant, as well, with Nico offering practically the exact same type of game.

I just can't fathom passing up on defense at 4. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

LIS, if we do the unthinkable and pass on a dman for a forward, it better be Eklund. I wouldn't even want Beniers tbqh. He's redundant, as well, with Nico offering practically the exact same type of game.

I just can't fathom passing up on defense at 4. 

I think my top choice is Hughes, who I think the pick will be, then Eklund, then Clarke. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think my top choice is Hughes, who I think the pick will be, then Eklund, then Clarke. 

Considering the strength of the '22 class is RHD (and my massive want of Dougie), I've shifted to Hughes as my top target. My order is exactly the same with Edvinsson a very distant 4th.

• Like 1