Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Also, god damn the bounces, but we should have won the 2012 Stanley Cup. Losing games 1 and 2 in OT were brutal. We outplayed them that series and I'll stand by that til the day I die.

We faced two of the greatest playoff goalie runs in history between giguere and quick. I kind of consider us fortunate to have gone 1-1 lol. 

You could argue the three greatest goalie playoff runs in modern history were giguere in 2003, Thomas in 11, and Quick in 12

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

We faced two of the greatest playoff goalie runs in history between giguere and quick. I kind of consider us fortunate to have gone 1-1 lol. 

You could argue the three greatest goalie playoff runs in modern history were giguere in 2003, Thomas in 11, and Quick in 12

Thing is, Quick wasn't the reason they won. Literally, in both games 1 and 2, whether it be the GWG or the GTG, the Kings got incredible bounces. I remember that series made me hate Jeff Carter with the fire of a thousand suns because he was ALWAYS there for the bounces.

That series should have gone 7 at least but they got every single lucky thing to happen games 1 and 2 to avoid it. Play that series 100 times and it's a 50-50 split IMO.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

???

Over the last couple of weeks he has said he wouldn't trade the Islanders pick for Garland, then said he wouldn't have given up a pick that high for Graves after mentioning how "extremely valuable" second round picks are. 

I went back to 2009 and outside of 2015, you had roughly a 20% chance to land a top 4 d or top 6 forward in the second round. Meanwhile, a third to a half of the players play a minimal number of games or doesn't make it at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Over the last couple of weeks he has said he wouldn't trade the Islanders pick for Garland, then said he wouldn't have given up a pick that high for Graves after mentioning how "extremely valuable" second round picks are. 

I went back to 2009 and outside of 2015, you had roughly a 20% chance to land a top 4 d or top 6 forward in the second round. Meanwhile, a third to a half of the plays a minimal number of games or doesn't make it at all

Oh yeah, **** that. I'm 100% trading 29 for Garland and I'm adding specs to get it done. STI's roots are the draft so it's not shocking. He'd never be in line to be a GM, he'd 100% be on the amateur scout level if he ever made it to the show.

I would kill for Garland. CS wasn't wrong in the NHL thread when he called him a little Marchand. I hate Marchand but you'd love to have that man on your team. I'd give Arizona quite the return for that midget fireballer.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Oh yeah, **** that. I'm 100% trading 29 for Garland and I'm adding specs to get it done. STI's roots are the draft so it's not shocking. He'd never be in line to be a GM, he'd 100% be on the amateur scout level if he ever made it to the show.

I would kill for Garland. CS wasn't wrong in the NHL thread when he called him a little Marchand. I hate Marchand but you'd love to have that man on your team. I'd give Arizona quite the return for that midget fireballer.

Doesn't seem like we are in on him so far, which I find quite surprising. 

Just now, Forge said:

Doesn't seem like we are in on him so far, which I find quite surprising. 

Who the hell knows who we're really in on tbqh? The only thing we "know" for sure is we're doing diligence on goalies (Kuemper and Lehner). Nobody predicted Graves. Feel like we still run a tight ship even though it's not Lou tight.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Who the hell knows who we're really in on tbqh? The only thing we "know" for sure is we're doing diligence on goalies (Kuemper and Lehner). Nobody predicted Graves. Feel like we still run a tight ship even though it's not Lou tight.

Really digging the idea of lehner of we are getting him for a meh prospect (or maybe someone like Johnsson?)

Why is everyone wanting to give Seattle assets to take butcher? Like, Mikey and Bastian are 4th liners lol. Why is everyone so desperate to protect them?

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Really digging the idea of lehner of we are getting him for a meh prospect (or maybe someone like Johnsson?)

Why is everyone wanting to give Seattle assets to take butcher? Like, Mikey and Bastian are 4th liners lol. Why is everyone so desperate to protect them?

We have prospect depth so I'd be willing to swap two players for Lehner, for sure. Don't think they'd care much for Johnsson.

Well, good thing is we don't have to worry about that beyond Wednesday. I think Mikey makes more sense to protect just because he's on the dot. Bastian is whatever. He's a sub 20 pt winger who's only value comes from throwing his body into the boards. He's replaceable. McLeod is a >50% faceoff guy. There's value to that on a checking line. 

I actually believe there's something to Seattle taking Merkley. I hope we leave Johnsson exposed considering our lack of depth on the dot and his hit. Would be pretty stupid to let McLeod go unprotected when we have only one other viable C that can win consistently on faceoffs.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We have prospect depth so I'd be willing to swap two players for Lehner, for sure. Don't think they'd care much for Johnsson.

Well, good thing is we don't have to worry about that beyond Wednesday. I think Mikey makes more sense to protect just because he's on the dot. Bastian is whatever. He's a sub 20 pt winger who's only value comes from throwing his body into the boards. He's replaceable. McLeod is a >50% faceoff guy. There's value to that on a checking line. 

I actually believe there's something to Seattle taking Merkley. I hope we leave Johnsson exposed considering our lack of depth on the dot and his hit. Would be pretty stupid to let McLeod go unprotected when we have only one other viable C that can win consistently on faceoffs.

I don't understand the point if protecting Johnsson either. .5 ppg player who's maybe a tad overpaid (though seems to me like the NHL is quickly going back to their overspending ways) playing on the wing. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't understand the point if protecting Johnsson either. .5 ppg player who's maybe a tad overpaid (though seems to me like the NHL is quickly going back to their overspending ways) playing on the wing. 

Well, I wonder whether we do or not with how defensive Fitzy got at the end of the year when media asked about him. I'd hope not because McLeod is way more important than Johnsson is.

Also, may be blasphemy, but if TB offered their first this year or next, or maybe even someone like Foote to take TJ, I think I'd just do it. The contract doesn't scare me as much with 3 years left. I think he could be a fine 3c for the next two, and maybe you have to kick him to 4th line in the final year. But he's making less than we were paying zajac for the same role