Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Quite a few people seem to think that Nolan Foote slots in as our best prospect now. I'm kinda iffy there but that's more because of how much I loved Ty Smith coming out than anything. I could see someone trusting his potential top line scoring over Smith being a top pairing blue liner though. 

I'd wager he's 1 or 2. Part of it is that I think Smith was viewed as somewhat underwhelming this year. In scott wheelers grading, he had Walsh as two and Anderson at 3, so no doubt Foote is one or two there

Posted this on HF....

If we don't trade any of the picks and we get a late 1st for Vatanen, I'd kill for something like...

Our pick - Jamie Drysdale | RHD | Erie
Arizona pick - Jack Quinn | RW | Ottawa
Vancouver pick - Jan Mysak | C/LW | Hamilton
Vatanen pick - Kaiden Guhle | LHD | Prince Albert

Yeah, I'd probably die.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol we still have another week of this nonsense. My body can't handle to anticipation.

I know nobody else does, but I'm kind of all in on razing this team. Vats, palms can both go. Simmonds. I'd rather see what the offer for wood is. I'll sign guys to overpriced one year fa deals like Chucky in the meantime while the kids are getting ready

Just now, Forge said:

Jesus, I'm going to have to really dig in and do a mock or something

This draft is the ideal draft for a rebuilding or retooling team to have draft capital in. I STRONGLY consider blowing it all up at this point and getting as many 1sts in this class as possible, even if that means moving Palms. Vats should absolutely pull a 1st from a contender so we'll have a shot at one of those risky dmen that could pay off long term along with an elite pick (ours) and forward depth picks (Arizona and Vancouver). I'm so ready for June lol.

Just now, Forge said:

I know nobody else does, but I'm kind of all in on razing this team. Vats, palms can both go. Simmonds. I'd rather see what the offer for wood is. I'll sign guys to overpriced one year fa deals like Chucky in the meantime while the kids are getting ready

Yep. I'm all for going scorched earth now that we've moved on from Coleman. It makes little to no sense to retain Palmieri at this point. 

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. I'm all for going scorched earth now that we've moved on from Coleman. It makes little to no sense to retain Palmieri at this point. 

The funny thing is, so many people on hf are actually saying the opposite... That now that we have traded one, we should keep the other lolol

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is, so many people on hf are actually saying the opposite... That now that we have traded one, we should keep the other lolol

Nah, shoot the moon. We have young guys we can plug in for the rest of the season at wing so get the value when you can. It's a seller's market, use it to your advantage. Palmieri at 50% retained gets us faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more value than Palmieri remaining here while we're not competitive.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nah, shoot the moon. We have young guys we can plug in for the rest of the season at wing so get the value when you can. It's a seller's market, use it to your advantage. Palmieri at 50% retained gets us faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more value than Palmieri remaining here while we're not competitive.

Couldn't agree more. Even if you don't retain (there are a few teams that wouldn't need it, I think), you can get a really good price on him. Retain, and I think you get something similar to what Coleman got (top 2/3 prospect + 1st). 

Also, I know it sounds kind of crazy, but I feel like I'd put in a call to philly and see about gostisbehere. His time is kind of up there, I think, but he's a lefty with several years of term left and still 26. If I can get him on the cheap, I kind of feel like i would. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Couldn't agree more. Even if you don't retain (there are a few teams that wouldn't need it, I think), you can get a really good price on him. Retain, and I think you get something similar to what Coleman got (top 2/3 prospect + 1st). 

Also, I know it sounds kind of crazy, but I feel like I'd put in a call to philly and see about gostisbehere. His time is kind of up there, I think, but he's a lefty with several years of term left and still 26. If I can get him on the cheap, I kind of feel like i would. 

Eh, I don't think Ghost is the type of LHD we're missing or need. We need a legit top pair guy. Think Ghost plays too similar a role as what we'd expect out of Smith.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Eh, I don't think Ghost is the type of LHD we're missing or need. We need a legit top pair guy. Think Ghost plays too similar a role as what we'd expect out of Smith.

Yeah, but I honestly want an entirely new left side, and if I can get that for cheap with Ghost, I'm okay with it. I don't think Bahl is ready next year, though I could be wrong (he'd be the ideal middle 4 guy, to be honest. I really want him paired with Sevs). But I think we are protecting Smith on the third pairing most of next season w/PP time similar to Butcher's first year. I also really want to dump Butcher. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but I honestly want an entirely new left side, and if I can get that for cheap with Ghost, I'm okay with it. I don't think Bahl is ready next year, though I could be wrong (he'd be the ideal middle 4 guy, to be honest. I really want him paired with Sevs). But I think we are protecting Smith on the third pairing most of next season w/PP time similar to Butcher's first year. I also really want to dump Butcher. 

Oh, I thought you meant Ghost in a Palmieri deal lol. If we can get Ghost for picks, sure. He's got 3 years of term left and seems to be in need of a change of scenery. Wonder what it would take? 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Oh, I thought you meant Ghost in a Palmieri deal lol. If we can get Ghost for picks, sure. He's got 3 years of term left and seems to be in need of a change of scenery. Wonder what it would take? 

oh, yeah. Definitely not for Palms. I was thinking something with Butcher maybe lol. I'm not wasting that kind of capital on Ghost, with regards to palms. 

Honestly, I'm not sure. I mean, it can't be an absolute ton, right? It feels like everything I read just states that he needs to be shipped out. I think he's been benched at various points this season. Almost feel like they'd want to be out from under the cap hit. But I'm not sure what their needs are. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

oh, yeah. Definitely not for Palms. I was thinking something with Butcher maybe lol. I'm not wasting that kind of capital on Ghost, with regards to palms. 

Honestly, I'm not sure. I mean, it can't be an absolute ton, right? It feels like everything I read just states that he needs to be shipped out. I think he's been benched at various points this season. Almost feel like they'd want to be out from under the cap hit. But I'm not sure what their needs are. 

Yeah, I'd be okay picking up the phone and trying it out. Maybe a change of scenery swap of two LHD in the wrong roles? Then again, Butcher might not fit a role there. Maybe they like Miles Wood too? Butcher+Wood for Ghost and filler?