Should The Commissioner Have Nixed This Deal? (Julio Jones Trade - Dynasty League)

the lone star

Should The Commissioner Have Nixed This Deal?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Commissioner Have Nixed This Deal?

In my dynasty fantasy football league, someone made a trade for Julio Jones. Here's how the deal looked.

Team A Receives:
Allen Hurns (1000 yards + 10 TD season)
First Round Pick (Carson Wentz or Hunter Henry)
Second Round Pick (Keanu Neal)

Team B Receives:
Julio Jones (1800+ Yards, 8 TDs)

We use PPR scoring, but TEs get a premium of 1.5 per catch. 

However, prior to the beginning of the season, Team A told many owners that this was his last year. Team A traded rookie Todd Gurley to the commish for Reuben Randle (coming off a 71 catch, 3 TD, 900+ yard season) and a First Round Pick (Commish finished in the top 6 of the league that year, so it was at best the 11th overall pick in the draft). 

Furthermore, Team A told Team B that if Team B beat him in their matchup, then he would trade Julio to Team B. Team B did in fact win, and this win eliminated Team A from playoff contention. The commish likely did not know of this though.

Additionally, prior to the deal, Team A told the commissioner's brother (Team C) that Team A was going to trade Julio to Team B to make the competition tougher for Team C. The commish did know about this, but Team B did not. 

Regardless, Team A and Team B had been in trade talks for Julio for quite a while. Team B was trying to deal away Danny Amendola instead of Allen Hurns, and was trying to get Greg Hardy included in the deal. Obviously, neither of these happened.

Team A offered Team B the deal, and Team B accepted. The commissioner has to process all trades though to make them final. Prior to processing, the commissioner asked for the remainder of Team B's dues (dues are $120, so the league runs on a two-installment plan, where you pay the first $60 prior to the year, and then the final $60 at a date tba later). Team B paid this remainder at this time and not later because he and Team A had just reached a deal for Julio. Team B also thought that if he didn't pay dues at this time, then the deal for sure wouldn't go through.

Finally, the league does not vote on trades. The commissioner has also never nixed a deal before (if he has, then it's not well known at all). 

With all of this in mind, should the commissioner have nixed the deal that Team B made for Julio Jones? Why or Why not?

On 4/21/2018 at 6:29 AM, the lone star said:

In my dynasty fantasy football league, someone made a trade for Julio Jones. Here's how the deal looked.

Team A Receives:
Allen Hurns (1000 yards + 10 TD season)
First Round Pick (Carson Wentz or Hunter Henry)
Second Round Pick (Keanu Neal)

Team B Receives:
Julio Jones (1800+ Yards, 8 TDs)

We use PPR scoring, but TEs get a premium of 1.5 per catch. 

However, prior to the beginning of the season, Team A told many owners that this was his last year. Team A traded rookie Todd Gurley to the commish for Reuben Randle (coming off a 71 catch, 3 TD, 900+ yard season) and a First Round Pick (Commish finished in the top 6 of the league that year, so it was at best the 11th overall pick in the draft). 

Furthermore, Team A told Team B that if Team B beat him in their matchup, then he would trade Julio to Team B. Team B did in fact win, and this win eliminated Team A from playoff contention. The commish likely did not know of this though.

Additionally, prior to the deal, Team A told the commissioner's brother (Team C) that Team A was going to trade Julio to Team B to make the competition tougher for Team C. The commish did know about this, but Team B did not. 

Regardless, Team A and Team B had been in trade talks for Julio for quite a while. Team B was trying to deal away Danny Amendola instead of Allen Hurns, and was trying to get Greg Hardy included in the deal. Obviously, neither of these happened.

Team A offered Team B the deal, and Team B accepted. The commissioner has to process all trades though to make them final. Prior to processing, the commissioner asked for the remainder of Team B's dues (dues are $120, so the league runs on a two-installment plan, where you pay the first $60 prior to the year, and then the final $60 at a date tba later). Team B paid this remainder at this time and not later because he and Team A had just reached a deal for Julio. Team B also thought that if he didn't pay dues at this time, then the deal for sure wouldn't go through.

Finally, the league does not vote on trades. The commissioner has also never nixed a deal before (if he has, then it's not well known at all). 

With all of this in mind, should the commissioner nix the deal that Team B made for Julio Jones? Why or Why not?

I feel like both of these are shady. However if they paid their dues it isn't so bad. I dont understand the 1st round/2nd round stuff you have. You saying with a 1st round pick he would draft Wentz/Henry and with the 2nd round he would take Neal? Wouldnt a 2nd rounder be more valuable?

Wentz for Julio is inherently not a bad deal even in a PPR league

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like both of these are shady. However if they paid their dues it isn't so bad. I dont understand the 1st round/2nd round stuff you have. You saying with a 1st round pick he would draft Wentz/Henry and with the 2nd round he would take Neal? Wouldnt a 2nd rounder be more valuable?

Yeah, that's what I mean. Those picks turned out to be those guys, or they were taken right after, so that's why I named them.

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

In what sense are they shady though?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To me, the value looks fair, and for that reason, I wouldn't say anything is a huge issue about it. It's kind of silly to say that you'll trade Julio Jones to a team if you lose them, but they didn't do it for a bad deal and it was something that had been negotiated or was being talked about even prior to the loss from what it sounds like. Overall, I think it's kind of silly with some of what was being said, but it was probably also some trash talking in there that doesn't come across as well in brief story format. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived