no days off for fred vinson

i’m still stunned they couldn’t move back and pick up another asset

it is wild wild that they never worked holland out or even talked to him

Edited by catcheryea

3 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

no days off for fred vinson

i’m still stunned they couldn’t move back and pick up another asset

it is wild wild that they never worked holland out or even talked to him

Magic never worked out Banchero, it's not unheard of.

5 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

yeah but that was paolo. wemby didn’t work out for san antonio but those were much different situations 

Paolo was not the consensus number 1, plenty of teams mocked Jabari as the #1

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Paolo was not the consensus number 1, plenty of teams mocked Jabari as the #1

right but we knew those three were going top three in some order. plus we had a full year of college tape where he was the best player on a final four team and an all american. there’s a pretty good idea of how those things translate to the nba

it’s an entirely different thing to evaluate a teenager playing against grown men on a 6-44 team with a net rating of like -18 and determine how he will translate to the nba

Just now, catcheryea said:

right but we knew those three were going top three in some order. plus we had a full year of college tape where he was the best player on a final four team and an all american. there’s a pretty good idea of how those things translate to the nba

it’s an entirely different thing to evaluate a teenager playing against grown men on a 6-44 team with a net rating of like -18 and determine how he will translate to the nba

i'm just saying, not working out a player is not unheard of

and according to Holland, it was just a scheduling issue, not because they didn't want to

ok i think at least one of ivey/ausar/duren are getting moved this summer. i don't know if holland will play day one but you literally (literally) cannot have three of those four on the floor at the same time. you couldn't put steph and [whoever the second best shooter in the nba is] on the floor with those guys and make it work. they better have a very clear idea of how they'll add shooting (and legitimate shooting, not joe harris)

i feel like i would be pretty pissed if i was cade

• Like 1

I agree that someone has to be moved.  We can't have a team yet again with so few shooters. Maybe Fred Vinson fixes Ivey and Ausar some but even then I am not sure it works out.  They would have to make significant strides as shooters to be on the court together.  We need to move someone for or sign a 4/5 who can shoot and defend but thats hard to find on the market.  I do think we will sign Tobias Harris who is a solid fit but similar to the draft, uninspiring. 

I wouldn't mind taking a run at Hartenstein if the Knicks can't find room for him cap wise but I am sure there are other places he would rather go.  I could also see us taking a run at one of the Pacers free agent bigs in Obi and Jalen Smith. If either can keep their outside shot consistent to last year they would help spread the floor some but are not good defensively.  But I think either would be better fits on offense than what we have as depth.  

In the second round here I wouldn't mind making a move up for Filipowski or Tyler Smith.  Both bigger stretch 4s with some upside.  Filipowski had a up and down year coming off a major surgery and Smith is just young and long with a solid outside shot.  Also adding Ulrich Comche late would be nice given he has shown a solid outside shot for a big but needs a lot of work.  Would be a solid G League stash with upside. 

As I do with just about every Steelers move/draft, I’m starting to soften on Holland. He’s a very good athlete. He was used about as wrong as could be with the Ignite team. He seems like a hard worker. He’s a pretty good defender already. He’s got good size, and because he’s so young he could maybe even grow a bit. Obviously his shooting is bad, but guys grow into that in the league sometimes. We’ve got Vinson, which makes me feel a little better. I’m also not super worried about fit because we are such crap. I’d echo the sentiment in here, but I think we’ll probably be moving some guys. I just hope the team looks different by the start of the year. 

37 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Holland was John Hollinger's #1 prospect, he had an interesting take on him.

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/1806374773657849868

Looks like we used some cap space to move up in the draft

Interesting move.  Wendell Moore is a dud of a 1st round pick but I like moving up in the 2nd as I noted above.  A few guys I like there.  

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

As I do with just about every Steelers move/draft, I’m starting to soften on Holland. He’s a very good athlete. He was used about as wrong as could be with the Ignite team. He seems like a hard worker. He’s a pretty good defender already. He’s got good size, and because he’s so young he could maybe even grow a bit. Obviously his shooting is bad, but guys grow into that in the league sometimes. We’ve got Vinson, which makes me feel a little better. I’m also not super worried about fit because we are such crap. I’d echo the sentiment in here, but I think we’ll probably be moving some guys. I just hope the team looks different by the start of the year. 

I get the prospect, just hate the fit, hate the fact we didn't move down, hate the what feels like a continuation of Weaver.  And all with no coach asking how this is supposed to fit together.  I am guessing we make some moves and the team looks different but I just don't see a lot of options that will want to come here that work. At least good options.  

in a vacuum it's a pretty meh, whatever pick (as a lot of guys would've been). taking an athletic wing with some upside makes sense for a bad team. if charlotte took him at 6 that would've been interesting as someone to play between lamelo and miller and be a cutter and wing stopper

but they're really betting on fred vinson working some miracles honestly. i think this is the last year you can guarantee cade stays for the full season. they don't just need ivey/ausar/holland to learn to shoot, it has to happen fast. if none of them become shooters, ausar is probably the only with any shot at hanging around the league, but it almost certainly won't be in detroit, so that's three years of picks thrown away after picking cade. if one of them can shoot, espeically if it's asuar, that's not great but it's not the end of the world. but they should desperately be hoping that at least two of them figure it out if they're actually going to build a lineup around cade