Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

23 hours ago, catcheryea said:

it's astounding and the more i think about it, the more absurd it becomes

I really do believe that Monty only took the job because of the ridiculous bag he secured. I wouldn't even question someone that stated that Monty was trying to get fired. Massive L for Gores. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really do believe that Monty only took the job because of the ridiculous bag he secured. I wouldn't even question someone that stated that Monty was trying to get fired. Massive L for Gores. 

Agreed.  When he said no the first time we should have moved on.  Although I didn't like the other names being thrown around but they would have been cheaper and easier for the next GM to move on from.  But Monty not having his heart in it was obvious from the jump and I too think he was actively trying to get fired with his decisions.  When he realized that if Weaver is there still, there is no chance he gets fired then, so he started playing Ivey.  I wish he would just retire and scratch the contract himself.  If he is that disinterested in being here just move on and don't try to be a scumbag and steal money for getting fired.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed.  When he said no the first time we should have moved on.  Although I didn't like the other names being thrown around but they would have been cheaper and easier for the next GM to move on from.  But Monty not having his heart in it was obvious from the jump and I too think he was actively trying to get fired with his decisions.  When he realized that if Weaver is there still, there is no chance he gets fired then, so he started playing Ivey.  I wish he would just retire and scratch the contract himself.  If he is that disinterested in being here just move on and don't try to be a scumbag and steal money for getting fired.  

Reports from the Athletic are that the new president will have full authority to fire Monty if he wants.

4 hours ago, General Tso said:

Reports from the Athletic are that the new president will have full authority to fire Monty if he wants.

that seems relatively encouraging until you realize jj redick is interviewing and arn tellem was his agent

46 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

that seems relatively encouraging until you realize jj redick is interviewing and arn tellem was his agent

To be fair to Reddick, he is also rumored to be a Laker's HC target.

30 minutes ago, General Tso said:

To be fair to Reddick, he is also rumored to be a Laker's HC target.

well they would hire zhuri james if it mean keeping lebron, so i'm not sure how much stock we should put in that

3 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

well they would hire zhuri james if it mean keeping lebron, so i'm not sure how much stock we should put in that

It worked once with Steve Kerr, surely it will work again 🫠

17 hours ago, catcheryea said:

I don't like the connection to Tellem or the fact he has no experience in a front office role so not sure he would be able to gut it and rebuild it how it should be built but strictly as a basketball mind I actually like Reddick.  But if things other than Reddick stay the same, then it won't be worth trying.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 2:29 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Well, with getting the 5th pick again, I hope we trade it.  Absolutely nothing that gets me excited at 5.  

I posted in Det forum but I say just take bronny. He's not worth it. But it would be hilarious since lebron wants to play eith him. Hate Lebron too.

think it would all just be hilarious and nobody worth pick 

I'm just taking Matas Buzelis at 5. Don't do anything dumb, just take this kid. He's 6'10, projects as a shooter, can attack closeouts, isn't hopeless of defense, and is a pretty decent fit for what we need(other than a new team). I think he'd fit in well with Fontecchio. He could play with Duren and Stew. He can space the floor for Cade, Ausar, and Ivey. I also don't hate Knecht, but give me the younger, taller, more upside guy. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm just taking Matas Buzelis at 5. Don't do anything dumb, just take this kid. He's 6'10, projects as a shooter, can attack closeouts, isn't hopeless of defense, and is a pretty decent fit for what we need(other than a new team). I think he'd fit in well with Fontecchio. He could play with Duren and Stew. He can space the floor for Cade, Ausar, and Ivey. I also don't hate Knecht, but give me the younger, taller, more upside guy. 

I'd go 1. Risacher 2. Buzelis 3. Knecht

• Like 1

Rissacher is the easy pick if he is there.  If not I would probably go in order of Cody Williams, Ron Holland, Tidjane Salaun, Matas Buzelis, Dalton Knecht.  

Again, none of them, even Rissacher excite me so I am leaning trade the pick.  But if not than you have to take a chance on upside.  Knecht is the best fit now but he is pretty much Cory Kispert which is a super low ceiling.  Helpful but not a ton of upside there.  Cody Williams is raw and has a ton of development but has the highest ceiling of the next bunch.  All have decently high ceilings, but low odds of reaching them IMO.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Rissacher is the easy pick if he is there.  If not I would probably go in order of Cody Williams, Ron Holland, Tidjane Salaun, Matas Buzelis, Dalton Knecht.  

Again, none of them, even Rissacher excite me so I am leaning trade the pick.  But if not than you have to take a chance on upside.  Knecht is the best fit now but he is pretty much Cory Kispert which is a super low ceiling.  Helpful but not a ton of upside there.  Cody Williams is raw and has a ton of development but has the highest ceiling of the next bunch.  All have decently high ceilings, but low odds of reaching them IMO.  

Why do you have those guys ahead of Matas? I'm not calling you out, just curious.

I am just not a big fan of Matas.  His 25% three point percentage doesn't help our spacing. He seems like a poor mans version of Ausar Thompson and not sure we need that.  He has upside and I can see why we would draft him but just doesn't seem to fit. 

Rissacher I think is a better all around player with a higher ceiling.  He likely is Deni Avdija but type but I think his game fits better with our system. 

Cody Williams has the athleticism and shooting upside to be a top end option on the wing.  I think his peak is high but his floor is low too but will take that chance over Matas.  His three percentage was great even though he didn't have the volume.  He is a very good defender with insanely long arms.  He seems like an Ausar with a more developed offensive game at this point. 

Ron Holland I don't love but given his age and potential, is a more worthy pick.  Holland played a lot on ball in the G League  but would be better off the ball and hopefully his outside percentage would improve off ball.  He could be what we want Ivey to be as an off ball wing who can create and be a lead ball handler on occasion.  

Salaun I really don't know a ton about but I like upside and the unknown more than meh which is pretty much how I see Matas.  He is more of a PF than Matas but has more of an all around game already.  Still a worse shooter than I would like but better than Stewart.  

Again none of these guys excite me. Any of them will be fine but as of now none of them get me excited.  Sort of like Ausar last year didn't get me excited.