Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

i legitimately don't know if this is a hot take or not but i would take lavine in exchange for absolutely nothing. i think harris, hayes, and wiseman for lavine and drummond works. i'm not sure how you make cade, ivey, lavine work as a trio but i know it's better than having killian in that group

• Like 1

10 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i legitimately don't know if this is a hot take or not but i would take lavine in exchange for absolutely nothing. i think harris, hayes, and wiseman for lavine and drummond works. i'm not sure how you make cade, ivey, lavine work as a trio but i know it's better than having killian in that group

I still have a Drummond pistons jersey that I get for super cheap so I say…. Yes. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, catcheryea said:

Before last offseason I wanted Lavine and Miles Bridges (pre nearly murdering his wife) which I still think on the court would be a very solid combination with Cade, Ivey and Duren.  I feel like Lavine and Ivey are similar players at different stages of their careers but would be nice to have some extra scoring and playmaking on the court.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Before last offseason I wanted Lavine and Miles Bridges (pre nearly murdering his wife) which I still think on the court would be a very solid combination with Cade, Ivey and Duren.  I feel like Lavine and Ivey are similar players at different stages of their careers but would be nice to have some extra scoring and playmaking on the court.  

it would be very painfully funny to watch monty continue to not give a **** about his vets (first burks and bogey, then lavine) play zero defense, not pass, and take too many shots. then bench, demote, and take shots at ivey in his press conferences for doing the same thing

6 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

it would be very painfully funny to watch monty continue to not give a **** about his vets (first burks and bogey, then lavine) play zero defense, not pass, and take too many shots. then bench, demote, and take shots at ivey in his press conferences for doing the same thing

Yup, and funny how Hayes is in that group of being able to do whatever with no backlash.  Not sure why Monty decides he hates certain guys but its so annoying.  If we are going to suck anyways, just play the young guys and let them get experience. 

i know we all know monty is a pathological liar at this point but what’s really crazy is that i very distinctly remember monty saying pretty early in the season that he doesn’t think there’s anybody in the league who can stay in front of ivey, and yet he just decided that’s not a useful skillset to utilize 

so a month after the owner repeatedly says change is coming and that he's two weeks ahead of everybody, and they have all the beat writers put out stories that the bagley trade is just the first domino to fall now that they have all this cap room to trade for a big contract, now they:

• don't want to trade cade, ivey, ausar, or duren (good)
  • don't want to trade burks, bojan, or morris
  • think they can resign burks in the offseason
  • don't expect to make any huge splashes at the deadline
  • still won't fire the gm, who in his fourth year on the job has assembled maybe the worst team in nba history
  • still won't fire the head coach who tied the all time losing streak record and may break the record for fewest wins and worst season in nba history
  • will undoubtedly shift the narrative to, "we're keeping flexibility to spend money in free agency, be patient with us"

gores must have found a secret drawer with a small coke stash he forgot about, and now he doesn't remember that he owns an nba team

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

so a month after the owner repeatedly says change is coming and that he's two weeks ahead of everybody, and they have all the beat writers put out stories that the bagley trade is just the first domino to fall now that they have all this cap room to trade for a big contract, now they:

• don't want to trade cade, ivey, ausar, or duren (good)
  • don't want to trade burks, bojan, or morris
  • think they can resign burks in the offseason
  • don't expect to make any huge splashes at the deadline
  • still won't fire the gm, who in his fourth year on the job has assembled maybe the worst team in nba history
  • still won't fire the head coach who tied the all time losing streak record and may break the record for fewest wins and worst season in nba history
  • will undoubtedly shift the narrative to, "we're keeping flexibility to spend money in free agency, be patient with us"

gores must have found a secret drawer with a small coke stash he forgot about, and now he doesn't remember that he owns an nba team

Yup, this team still just can't get me excited at all.  Need to see some growth from the young guys or I say blow it up again and start over.  Need a new GM and coach either way.  No reason this team should be this bad with the talent on it. Just not putting the right groups on the floor and not getting the guys to work hard or play together. 

Side note, Muscala and Gallo do fit much better than Bagley and Livers.  When Cade gets back it will be interesting to see him on the court more with people who can shoot but I am guessing we wont play them when he is back and stick him out there with Hayes all the time.  

I know you hate the idea and I hate the contract but Draymond is the kind of player/mentality we need in our locker room. Someone who will call his teammates out for sucking, call his coach out for dumb decisions, and work his but off to get better.  I am not calling for us to trade for him, just saying we need someone like that in the locker room.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yup, this team still just can't get me excited at all.  Need to see some growth from the young guys or I say blow it up again and start over.  Need a new GM and coach either way.  No reason this team should be this bad with the talent on it. Just not putting the right groups on the floor and not getting the guys to work hard or play together. 

Side note, Muscala and Gallo do fit much better than Bagley and Livers.  When Cade gets back it will be interesting to see him on the court more with people who can shoot but I am guessing we wont play them when he is back and stick him out there with Hayes all the time.  

two months (?) after monty said he needs to cut down his 10 man rotation, he's been playing 11 guys for at least the last few games. assuming cade's back for the next game, we know sasser will get benched (sent to the g league maybe) but we also know he'll never bench killian. so they'll keep rolling out 5 guard rotations, taking minutes from ivey to give them to killian ("every minute is earned" i once heard someone say). i would love if they started cade and ivey and then staggered them to pair cade with burks and ivey with morris for stretches. but that won't happen either

stew plays his best game of the year coming off the bench and playing a lot next to muscala, so they put him back in the starting lineup the next game where he can thrive of duren's shooting gravity? ivey doesn't get to finish a game unless he's 11/12 with less than two turnovers, but anytime they need a bucket or a stop, burks gets the call, even on a 2/16 night. there's no rational thinking going on anywhere in the organization (outside of cade maybe figuring out how soon after signing his extension should he ask for a trade), every decision is based on "how much do i personally like you"

more than anything they need to move stewart and hayes so monty is forced to stop using them like they're all-nba players, just like what they did with livers

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I know you hate the idea and I hate the contract but Draymond is the kind of player/mentality we need in our locker room. Someone who will call his teammates out for sucking, call his coach out for dumb decisions, and work his but off to get better.  I am not calling for us to trade for him, just saying we need someone like that in the locker room.  

aside from him proving to be completely toxic, i don't see how it fits on the floor. we've never seen him play without at least one of the greatest shooters of all time, and we certainly don't have that. he's the best defender i've ever watched, and i'm sure he could help there, but you can't play him with asuar or duren, and they desperately need to figure out how to play just those two together before adding another non shooter. plus i think once he's at the point in his career that he doesn't want to compete for a title and decides to sign with detroit, he'll be totally out of ****s to give and have an even worse attitude than we've been seeing

Edited by catcheryea

14 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

aside from him proving to be completely toxic, i don't see how it fits on the floor. we've never seen him play without at least one of the greatest shooters of all time, and we certainly don't have that. he's the best defender i've ever watched, and i'm sure he could help there, but you can't play him with asuar or duren, and they desperately need to figure out how to play just those two together before adding another non shooter. plus i think once he's at the point in his career that he doesn't want to compete for a title and decides to sign with detroit, he'll be totally out of ****s to give and have an even worse attitude than we've been seeing

I am not saying we should make a move for Draymond.  He definitely does not fit on our roster.  But would love to have a veteran leader like him to help push these kids.  I dont think Bogey and Burks are the guys to do that and neither are Mascala and Gallo.  You need someone who has proven something and is vocal that the young guys can listen to.  

I do fully expect Cade to request a trade here shortly.  I am guessing when he is going into year 4 with the same coach and GM and the owner doesnt give a crap, he will have had enough and demand a trade.  But honestly him and his injuries are part of the problem.  He isn't the star player yet that other teams are clamoring to pair with their young star. 

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not saying we should make a move for Draymond.  He definitely does not fit on our roster.  But would love to have a veteran leader like him to help push these kids.  I dont think Bogey and Burks are the guys to do that and neither are Mascala and Gallo.  You need someone who has proven something and is vocal that the young guys can listen to. 

yeah i think i said right before the season that if the team showed any improvement at all and was still in the vicinity of the play in (15-29 would have you three games out right now, how much of an indictment is that?), i wanted them to move one of the old guys for a veteran center who has a history of playing defense. obviously we didn't make it that far, but who could've seen this coming, when your oldest big man is 24 and none of them have any idea how defend? if duren is having a particularly bad night, and you need three stops to close game, put the other guy in. i mean mike muscala has been an improvement defensively. they literally can't configure a five man lineup right now without having having at least one glaring defensive hole after all the talk in the offseason was about defense

• Like 1

do i think it's a little bit gross that people are saying troy weaver should be fired because he knew about his assistant gm sexually harassing his assistant and generally being a huge piece of ****, and tried to sweep it under the rug multiple times because the guy is his friend, even though they really only want him fired because he's the worst gm in the nba and maybe the worst gm in american sports history? i do

do i think it's even grosser that troy weaver knew about his assistant gm sexually harassing his assistant and generally being a huge piece of ****, and tried to sweep it under the rug multiple times because the guy is his friend? a resounding yes

do i think it's absurd that troy weaver won't get fired despite being the worst gm in the nba and maybe the worst gm in american sports history AND knowing about his assistant gm sexually harassing his assistant and generally being a huge piece of ****, and tried to sweep it under the rug multiple times because the guy is his friend? no, i think it's absolutely bat**** insane

• Like 1