Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

On 12/2/2023 at 11:05 PM, catcheryea said:

plays hard, vocal leader, embodies the city, still only 22

It would be so nice if we had a shooter we could put out there for that wide open three Cade gave him.  The fake pass right at the defender was funny.  Then throwing it away right after is even funnier.  But Stewart is Weavers guy.  This roster is such a mess. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It would be so nice if we had a shooter we could put out there for that wide open three Cade gave him.  The fake pass right at the defender was funny.  Then throwing it away right after is even funnier.  But Stewart is Weavers guy.  This roster is such a mess. 

i wouldn't believe if i didn't look it up myself, but stewart has taken one 3 with a defender within four feet of him this season. 76 of his 77 attempts have been considered either open or wide open. they don't care enough to guard him but when they do they don't even have to contest. just stunt at him and he flips off the shooting switch and turns on the panic dribble and pass switch

it's so funny hearing national media people finally pay attention and wonder what the hell they're trying to accomplish on offense. zach lowe said last week that the people who make decisions for the pistons are the only people in the league who still think stewart can be a stretch 4 and he's shown none of the skills that real stretch 4s have, outside of shooting below league average on wide open 3s (i editorialized the last part)

Just saw something about the Pistons being a landing spot for Zach Lavine.  The article suggested it would take Ivey and multiple 1st round picks.  Would likely have to include Harris and Wiseman to matchup salaries as well.  I think if that trade gets close to happening we need to fire Weaver before he ruins us long term.  I like Lavine but he isn't the kind of guy you give a young rookie with upside and multiple 1st round picks.  Even of those picks are highly protected, you limit what you can do for years and I don't see Lavine taking us to the next level.  He doesn't play defense much either so we are getting a similar player at 29 with 3 years at 40+M a year.  Obviously he is better than Ivey right now but at a higher usage rate meaning he will take the ball out of Cade's hands more and Ivey is actually shooting better across the board.  The hope is Ivey becomes what Lavine is but at a much discounted price.  A move like this really wouldn't fix the roster in any meaningful way.   

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Just saw something about the Pistons being a landing spot for Zach Lavine.  The article suggested it would take Ivey and multiple 1st round picks.  Would likely have to include Harris and Wiseman to matchup salaries as well.  I think if that trade gets close to happening we need to fire Weaver before he ruins us long term.  I like Lavine but he isn't the kind of guy you give a young rookie with upside and multiple 1st round picks.  Even of those picks are highly protected, you limit what you can do for years and I don't see Lavine taking us to the next level.  He doesn't play defense much either so we are getting a similar player at 29 with 3 years at 40+M a year.  Obviously he is better than Ivey right now but at a higher usage rate meaning he will take the ball out of Cade's hands more and Ivey is actually shooting better across the board.  The hope is Ivey becomes what Lavine is but at a much discounted price.  A move like this really wouldn't fix the roster in any meaningful way.   

That would instantly be a contender for dumbest trade in history. Like Isiah bad.

• Like 1

it's pretty remarkable that in the last four years with casey, even though they won 80 total games, he never lost the locker room like monty has in 20 games. they sucked and they didn't give full effort all the time, but outside of one incident with diallo a couple of years ago, it never looked like they didn't want to be there. they look absolutely lost and the one person who's supposed to help them is actively making it worse. and i can't help but think him jerking guys around the rotation is the biggest reason for that

ivey's a bench player, he plays well, he loses minutes and touches. then he's a starter. one bad game, he's the 11th man. the next game he's a starter. the next game he's the 11th man again coming off the bench behind wiseman. he's not allowed to touch the ball above the break while sasser runs the offense every trip he's in

bagley was largely fine, sometimes better than that, as the backup big. it's not his fault duren got hurt and he suddenly had to become a starting center, a role he obviously isn't suited for. then duren comes back and bagley gets benched completely so they can get another look at wiseman. then he's back in the rotation for a game. then he's benched again. they're paying a head coach $13 million to come up with the solution of "more wiseman minutes"

burks is playing 20 minutes a game with the greenest green light, shooting 28/26 since november 1, playing no defense, and not contributing anything else, but ausar gets benched because monty can't figure out he shouldn't be the guy one pass away when they run a pnr

running a sasser, burks, livers, ausar, wiseman lineup should get you fired, maybe even jailed. and monty does it for 5 minute uninterrupted stretches while leads turn into deficits and ivey's waiting for the start of the next quarter so he can check in for the first time in the half

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

it's pretty remarkable that in the last four years with casey, even though they won 80 total games, he never lost the locker room like monty has in 20 games. they sucked and they didn't give full effort all the time, but outside of one incident with diallo a couple of years ago, it never looked like they didn't want to be there. they look absolutely lost and the one person who's supposed to help them is actively making it worse. and i can't help but think him jerking guys around the rotation is the biggest reason for that

ivey's a bench player, he plays well, he loses minutes and touches. then he's a starter. one bad game, he's the 11th man. the next game he's a starter. the next game he's the 11th man again coming off the bench behind wiseman. he's not allowed to touch the ball above the break while sasser runs the offense every trip he's in

bagley was largely fine, sometimes better than that, as the backup big. it's not his fault duren got hurt and he suddenly had to become a starting center, a role he obviously isn't suited for. then duren comes back and bagley gets benched completely so they can get another look at wiseman. then he's back in the rotation for a game. then he's benched again. they're paying a head coach $13 million to come up with the solution of "more wiseman minutes"

burks is playing 20 minutes a game with the greenest green light, shooting 28/26 since november 1, playing no defense, and not contributing anything else, but ausar gets benched because monty can't figure out he shouldn't be the guy one pass away when they run a pnr

running a sasser, burks, livers, ausar, wiseman lineup should get you fired, maybe even jailed. and monty does it for 5 minute uninterrupted stretches while leads turn into deficits and ivey's waiting for the start of the next quarter so he can check in for the first time in the half

Yeah, this is the most uninterested I have been in the Pistons rebuild ever.  And thats saying something given a few years we had nothing to be excited about.  We literally have 3/4 players who should be considered the future and they aren't getting the chances to develop and make mistakes.  Young teams are expected to not be perfect but they need opportunities and consistency to get there.  We should pretty much just run Cade, Ivey, Bogey, Ausar, Duren 80% of the game with the occasional sub from Burks/Bagley/Stewart to get them rest at various times.  Sasser could get some burn as well but I wouldn't be leaning on him like Monty likes to do.  

I really think this whole thing needs to be blown up from Gores on down.  Unfortunately I don't see Gores selling the team which means we likely won't see any significant changes.  We are the worst ran organization in pro sports at the moment so at least Gores is best at something.  There is nothing for me to care about with this team because from the top down they dont look interested in being there.  

Vilenti's rant from a couple weeks ago was spot on.  Monty looks like he is mad he took the money.  Maybe he will come to an agreement to retire again/end his contract so we aren't on the hook for all of it but we need to start over and let a new GM pick the coach.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, this is the most uninterested I have been in the Pistons rebuild ever.

after the drummond trade in february 2020 i sent my friends a text saying how sad it is that the pistons have to use thon maker and tony snell highlights in their promo videos now. before the shutdown they were starting snell, wood, svi, john henson, and brandon knight. wood and bruce brown are the only two guys who were getting minutes by the end who are still in the league. most of them didn’t even make a team the following year. and somehow i never felt as apathetic about them as i do now

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

after the drummond trade in february 2020 i sent my friends a text saying how sad it is that the pistons have to use thon maker and tony snell highlights in their promo videos now. before the shutdown they were starting snell, wood, svi, john henson, and brandon knight. wood and bruce brown are the only two guys who were getting minutes by the end who are still in the league. most of them didn’t even make a team the following year. and somehow i never felt as apathetic about them as i do now

Yup. There was hope from me that we finally tore it all down, even if it was two or three years too late.  There were no expectations other than lose and get a high pick to hopefully land our next super star.  Now we got that super star in the making, a couple other young pieces with him and some expectations for improvement and we are the worst team in NBA history.  Sort of how I felt with the Tigers last year.  So much hype from young guys and then injuries and duds.  Finally Tork and Greene started improving this year and the young pitchers look good so I am hopeful again but need something to change for the Pistons to spark that excitement again like when the Tigers fired Avila.  

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yup. There was hope from me that we finally tore it all down, even if it was two or three years too late.  There were no expectations other than lose and get a high pick to hopefully land our next super star.  Now we got that super star in the making, a couple other young pieces with him and some expectations for improvement and we are the worst team in NBA history.  Sort of how I felt with the Tigers last year.  So much hype from young guys and then injuries and duds.  Finally Tork and Greene started improving this year and the young pitchers look good so I am hopeful again but need something to change for the Pistons to spark that excitement again like when the Tigers fired Avila.  

That's the price of the Lions being a good, unfortunately. Red Wings looking competent now too if you're into that!

another iteration of the pistons that had no business being more fun than this team but was definitely way more fun than this team is the 2021-22 team at the end of december that was playing bey, diallo, and eight g-league guys because everybody else was out with covid. diallo averaged 31 and 10 in those three games

• Like 1